Price of the Fourth City?

After spending an inordinate amount of time in the forums and other sources of lore that are more reliable than my memory I still couldn’t find what price was paid by the Masters for the Fourth City, which is quite frustrating considering that its remnants have a less obscure Neathly presence than those of the previous cities (whose transaction is more well-documented). Other than that one Nadir card which I interpreted to be the various offers made by the Masters I don’t recall anything relevant. Did I miss something?

I think they made an entire Storynexus game that probably answers that question. But people who played The Silver Tree seem to think it was too grindy.

This I’m pretty sure was stated in the investigations in the university storylet. Its hard to explain but the Masters and the bazaar have a strong connection to love and love stories so when someone in a powerful position like the Empire and the Duchess has a loved one that is dying they bargain a deal the Bazzar takes the city they ruled over and they give they &quotsave&quot the loved ones life ( like the cantigaster, the Duchess’ husband who was bit by a deadly serpent.) The 4th city was the capital of the Mongolian Empire, karakorum. With that you can do some researching on wikipedia or in-game because the forgotten quarter is what is left of the 4th city or by playing The Silver Tree (sadly didn’t finish it so can’t tell you what happens)

i hope this helps :)[li]
edited by hyperion122 on 8/21/2014[/li][li]
edited by hyperion122 on 8/21/2014

The Fourth City (Karakorum) was besieged by Chinese troops, and the Khan’s daughter was in love with a French sculptor. To save her city AND her loved one (of whom her father didn’t approve) she sold the city to the Bazaar.
The Khan’s daughter is the woman we know as the Gracious Widow. I’m not entirely clear about what happened to her father and the sculptor though…

I was wondering about that to, her father probably withered away and became a very old tomb colonist while i have a theory that the sculptor might be the once dashing smuggler. i mean their was clearly something between them and their is no person that is a sculptor (unless you count the solitary glim sculptor but i doubt thats him) if the Gracious Widow went from a princess to a smuggler why can’t a French Artist and much like the cantigastor they brought him back but in what way probably he got so beat up by the Chinese he had to become a tomb-colonist and then stuff happened between the widow and the smuggler

[li]

There’s also the encounter with Yesterday’s King during the Affair of the Box storyline.

EDIT: Also, did you just refer to Mongolians as &quotChinese?&quot That might get you beaten enough to end in the Tomb-Colonies if they heard it…
edited by Mordaine Barimen on 8/21/2014

Thanks for the answers!

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]

EDIT: Also, did you just refer to Mongolians as &quotChinese?&quot That might get you beaten enough to end in the Tomb-Colonies if they heard it…
edited by Mordaine Barimen on 8/21/2014[/quote]

hahahaha no i meant the chinese troops that invaded the Mongolian Empire

[li]

This is from the unlucky result for converting Amanita Sherry to Brilliant Souls:

[spoiler]‘Now do look after that one. A sculptor of the Fourth City, crossed in love at the court and later disembowelled. He did the silver fountain, you know?’

He probably &quotsurvived&quot the disembowelling to become a Tomb-colonist… just like the Cantigaster &quotsurvived&quot his poisoning to become— whatever. Seems like the Bazaar really sucks on these deals to save loved ones. Of course, that makes me only more curious about what exactly might be wrong with the Empress’ Consort?[/spoiler]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/7/2014

Well the Empress’s Consort was brought back from the dead. And it clearly affected his gametes because all post-Fall royal babies are…well, more gifted in limbs and eyes than typical children.

The Third City’s trade didn’t involve a love story, so far as I know. If more detail is required, I’ll provide it, but it’s the sort of thing best discovered on your own in my opinion.

That said, yeah, that was the price of the Fourth City.

I have my doubts about William of Paris, the Sculptor of the Silver Tree, being the Once-Dashing Tomb-Colonist.

Playing The Silver Tree, we meet and learn a bit about William, and, well, for one, he’s not that dashing. Honestly, he’s a bit wet. Two, he doesn’t really care for the Princess - he’s an agent of the Masters, sent to seduce her to aid in their bid to take Karakorum. Whether he succeeds, or is even necessary for their plan, is determined by the player’s actions, and I don’t know which of the possible endings is canon, if any. We now know that the Bazaar doesn’t accept such manufactured love stories, so perhaps he was disembowelled by the Masters for his role in their failed plan - or by the Widow, for betraying her. In either case, I wouldn’t really expect him to still be mooning around under her windows, five centuries later.

But, perhaps I’m missing some key physical clue or psychological element!
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 9/8/2014

@Sir Frederick: I also thought that there was little resemblance, behavior-wise, between William and the Smuggler. But as he apparently sold his soul, well, that could account for some psychological/behavioral changes, especially over five centuries!
Also, I never saw William as an agent of the Masters in the way my Silver Tree game went…

@Snowskeeper: Where can one learn about the Trade of the Third City, pray tell?
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/8/2014

[quote=Wieland Burandt]@Sir Frederick: I also thought that there was little resemblance, behavior-wise, between William and the Smuggler. But as he apparently sold his soul, well, that could account for some psychological/behavioral changes, especially over five centuries!
Also, I never saw William as an agent of the Masters in the way my Silver Tree game went…

@Snowskeeper: Where can one learn about the Trade of the Third City, pray tell?
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/8/2014[/quote]

You’d be better off not indulging that particular line of thought. Terrible things tend to happen to people who pursue it. Some of those things they do to themselves.
(Besides, it’s not technically possible, right now; that section of content is on hiatus.)

Stuff about the third city is in quite a few places that aren’t that spot.

Just gonna warn, not sure how to tag spoilers. So just gonna mention here, i discuss stuff from The Silver Tree and Affair of the Box.

The Once Dashing Smuggler is far to passionate in his romances and escapades to have been William, if William did sell his soul. That being said, the Khan IS most likely “Yesterday’s King”. I do have a question though. Were the master’s not trying to capture Rome, or did they betray the Bazaar in buying Karakorum?