POSI: Things To Note? (No Spoilers)

Okay, I was thinking: One day, people will get to be a POSI, or maybe they want it but don 't know how. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a thread about POSI Status: Important Things to note, how to get there ETC. Feel free to ask questions too, though others will need to answer.

My question: As a Non POSI, I find that my menaces go up quickly sometimes. I end up using a lot of tonics, which is probably bad. But I am given to note these are less effective when a POSI. I was wondering some good tips for keeping menaces low when both a POSI and not.

Well as a POSI your stats will probably mean that you are less likely to raise menaces by failing challenges.

Then there are some things that you can get as a POSI that will help - join a respectable club for suspicion; joining God’s Editors for nightmares and scandal; having a ship and going to certain places will also reduce menaces (mainly wounds and nightmares but there is another place where if you know what you are doing you can completely clear them)

Apart from that the regular storylets and cards still work. The tonics do still reduce your menaces as well and you will probably be making enough echoes so that them being less effective isn’t such a big deal, apart from the extra actions.

you will also eventually accumulate a large number of tonics for curing nitemares and bloody scabs, once you’re reached the 4th coil of that labyrinth.

I get rid of Nightmares by Gawking at the Somnolent Hyena in the Labyrinth of Tigers.

I get rid of Wounds by sleeping them off. The one vice DragonRidingSorceress has not indulged in is Laudanum.

I reduce Scandal by going to Church.

Suspicion is the only thing I haven’t found a good way to get rid of yet - although after reading lady ciel’s comment, I think I’ll be going to join a club.

For wounds, if your dangerous is high enough, I recommend paying jade to having something to eat in the first coil of the labyrinth.

For suspicion I tend to ask my dazed raven advisor for advice, you don’t lose anything if you are unlucky and 25 rostygold seems fair enough when I am lucky.
edited by reveurciel on 11/5/2014

oh yeah… and don’t make the same mistake i did. got addicted to the stuff, and still can’t get the quality below 8, making Laudanums useless for reducing nightmares for my main. apparently, the only way to reduce the addiction quality is through a red opportunity card. i haven’t seen that card in over a month?

Actually, when it’s that high it’s a white bordered Opportunity card. Pretty rare, though (Infrequent Frequency). I think the red bordered card is more common, but there’s no proving it and I haven’t hung around there long enough to really tell.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/5/2014

Another piece of advice for future POSIs: start saving your money (or rather, things that can become money) now. Many of the fun things to do as a POSI are expensive. Having a great deal of expendable resources available when one become a POSI is very useful.

Also, just as a note: when you’re a POSI, you can remove the Artist’s Model from Your opportunities deck entirely! All you have to do is START (not complete) the storyline to take her as your spouse from the gold-bordered card that turns up after you become a POSI. I haven’t seen her City Vices card since I did, and you can still pursue other spouses since it doesn’t commit you to anything yet.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]I think the red bordered card is more common, but there’s no proving it and I haven’t hung around there long enough to really tell.[/quote]I remember getting that red card, and it appeared when my habit was level 1, and took away 2 CPs of it, making me want to save it until I had used another bottle of laudanum. But the extra card and the Action it took to use it to keep the habit at bay made me stop using laudanum altogether.

I mainly get a few Nightmares from chasing Jack in my sedan chair, and that card also reduces them, and so does my Master Jewel Thief. And what few Nightmares I do get, I hold off with my Bejewelled Cane and A Cheerful Goldfish. It is rare that I have to even see the City Vices: Orthographic Infection card. And every week the Cave of Nadir clears away all of my Nightmares anyway. The thing is, once all the dream qualities are maxed and there’s no need to go Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter, there aren’t really that many sources of Nightmares. So I guess it might make a lot of sense to not become a PoSI until one has acquired all the Eyeless Skulls one plans to get?

For Suspicion I would rely on Nikolas & Sons Instant Ablution Absolution, as it reduces Suspicion by 1-10 CP for a PoSI. Clearly worth the money.

Wounds are one of the few menaces that can be efficiently treated through social actions, though it’s the other players who have to take the initiative and offer to Nurse a friend back to health. That heals 2-8 CPs, which is better than the usual -4 CP/+1 CP for Scandal, Suspicion or Nightmares, where two people exchanging such social actions end up spending two Actions each for 3 CP reduction each, which is only a lousy 1.5 CPs/Action. Nursing each others wounds on the other hand gives a decent 2.5 CP reduction (on average). Not quite as good as drinking tinctures as a non-PoSI, but slightly better than doing it as a PoSI.

You get a lot of menaces as a new PoSI - at least, I do because the new stories have high stat requirements.

Mahogany Hall isn’t the most lucrative area for Echoes, but it is good for training stats if menaces become a problem. Some of the storylets there give Plagued by a Popular Song on failure, which is much easier to deal with than regular menaces.

[quote=Grey Kestrel]You get a lot of menaces as a new PoSI - at least, I do because the new stories have high stat requirements.[/quote]Good point. I held off on PoSI status for as long as I could, since I didn’t really feel that it suited my character. So by the time I went through with it, I had very high stats, and could handle the challenges quite easily.

half a bottle of tincture still works as well as when you’re a non-POSI, if you saved up any. either that or you could go rob an officer in spite.

but this isn’t very profitable in terms of echos/action even with 200 shadowy.
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A_cavalry_officer
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 11/6/2014

[quote=&quotMany&quot Chin]half a bottle of tincture still works as well as when you’re a non-POSI, if you saved up any.[/quote]I’ve got 324 of those half-full bottles, but according to the wiki that’s recently been changed so that they now reduce wounds by only 1 CP for a PoSI (link). The good news is that full bottles were changed so that instead of being unusable they now reduce Wounds by 2 CP for a PoSI, which seems quite reasonable.

For 2 CP wounds per action, though, you might as well just take the boat.

[quote=the truthseeker]All that written, my question is what suggestions are there to grind for the Romantic Notions needed for the Townhouse Pre POSI &quotopportunity card&quot and would having only a (modified) 84 Shadowy and (modified) 81 Dangerous be a problem for that?

(Edit: of course recently after I post this the &quotA little Hideaway&quot card comes up, so same question regarding getting the Notions for the residence without any card needed, and I can accept tips how to acquire the Romantic Notions post-POSI if that’s an issue.)[/quote]The best source I can think of is only decent if you’re trading favours with revolutionaries in the Flit, because then you can hold public lectures in the Forgotten Quarter to increase your Connected to: Revolutionaries, and getting just as much connection to Society and Bohemians. The latter connection can then be traded at the Shuttered Palace for Prisoner’s Honey, which can be converted to Romantic Notions. The good part in all this is that you’d be making money from getting the honey. The bad part is that it would still take a lot of cards and therefore time to get that money.

All the other sources of Prisoner’s Honey and Romantic Notions seem restricted to about 1-1.2 Echoes/Action, which I feel is a bit too low for my taste. And two of those require that you’re already PoSI: The trade in clocks on the Devices and desires card gives you 10 x Romantic Notion, and Doing the decent thing. in Unfinished Business in Veilgarden gives you 50 x Drop of Prisoner’s Honey. Apparently you can get better than that in Polythreme, so that might be worth the trip.

If you’re grinding Bohemian for Honey, a better source of that would be publishing Poetry in Praise of the Duchess at the Shuttered Palace; gives you both Connected Bohemian and Duchess, which means you’ll always be able to get into court if you want. You get more CP of Connected Bohemian/action here.

To get whispered secrets for supplies I would suggest Seeking Curios - yes you are likely to increase your nightmares significantly but you raise all 4 stats and have a chance at getting some high value items as well.

well,that’s annoying. but i hoarded only 12 or so half-bottles for my newly POSI alt, and my main haven’t mugged officers in a long while. you have more half-bottles than my full bottles(~180)!

[quote=Rackenhammer]If you’re grinding Bohemian for Honey, a better source of that would be publishing Poetry in Praise of the Duchess at the Shuttered Palace; gives you both Connected Bohemian and Duchess, which means you’ll always be able to get into court if you want. You get more CP of Connected Bohemian/action here.[/quote]No, the ‘Bohemian for honey’ is not ‘grinding Bohemian for honey’, it is ‘grinding Revolutionaries for massive amounts of Proscribed Material (and sell it or convert it)’ and getting Bohemian as a ‘free’ side-effect. It’s very efficient if you’re going to do it anyway, but not very effective compared to getting the honey directly, which is pretty inefficient compared to a lot of other resources.

If you’re grinding Bohemian directly to trade for honey you’d have to get 86 CP of Bohemian every Action to compare to the option in unfinished business, since every 120 CP is going to cost you an extra Action just to trade it in. Which is why most of the default ‘trade in favours’ options should not be seen as 1 CP connection = 2 pence, because if you could’ve gotten an Echo’s worth of resources for that Action, that means that 1 CP connection = 1.17 pence. (And if you could’ve gotten 1.5 Echoes’ worth of resources, it would’ve been 1 CP = 0.75 pence. But you can’t get honey that easily, so 1 Echo it is.)