POSI: Are Opportunity Cards really worth it now?

I get lots of opportunity cards as a Person of Some Importance such as the rag cart (which gives you 1 fourth city rags which cells for 30 pence and gives +2 watchful and 1-2 whole levels of nightmares) the various faction and faction conflict (orphans/widow, revolutionaries/rubbery man, constables/rubbery man,tomb colonists/society etc etc) and the wanted: reminders of better days cards.

Is it me or are they just filler now to stop you from getting the cards you want? I don’t see the value in getting like x2 incendiary gossip for one bottle of first sporing or trading a level or two of hell connections and a soul for a mere 30 rosty gold and a couple of apalling secrets?

Do I just not see the true value of these cards, or are they genuinely just useless padding for the more important cards?
edited by Streaky Haddock on 3/8/2015

[quote=Streaky Haddock]I get lots of opportunity cards as a Person of Some Importance such as the rag cart (which gives you 1 fourth city rags which cells for 30 pence and gives +2 watchful and 1-2 whole levels of nightmares) the various faction and faction conflict (orphans/widow, revolutionaries/rubbery man, constables/rubbery man,tomb colonists/society etc etc) and the wanted: reminders of better days cards.

Is it me or are they just filler now to stop you from getting the cards you want? I don’t see the value in getting like x2 incendiary gossip for one bottle of first sporing or trading a level or two of hell connections and a soul for a mere 30 rosty gold and a couple of apalling secrets?

Do I just not see the true value of these cards, or are they genuinely just useless padding for the more important cards?
edited by Streaky Haddock on 3/8/2015[/quote]
well, i don’t know about the others- they’re probably less than ideal- though conflict cards are a good way to raise your connections, but the rag cart seems to never show up again if you keep a pair of fourth city rags- it’s also not POSI only, as i found that card back when i had stats between 10 and 30; faction cards are okay for raising stats at a cost to connections. some of the other cards are duds, though, as you have established.

The cards you’ve mentioned here are not POSI related. You get them at practically all levels (e.g. conflict cards appear when your connection level is at least 5 for both conflicting factions). And as Grenem noted, the rags card will not appear anymore once you actually get the rags.

Now, once you turn POSI you will start seeing lots of new Gold-bordered cards. There are used to get advanced inventory POSI items (such as Transports, Home Comforts, etc.). Playing each of these Gold cards will move them to a storylet in the Bazaar side streets, and the cards won’t bother you again (unless you get these advanced inventory items, as some of them come with cards of their own).

Conflict cards can also raise Boxful of Intrigue, if you’re worried about the rather suspicious label of &quotthis may be the key to your future&quot on Empires Kingmaker when you’re just trying to make money.

Though really if they’re bothering you it may be worth nuking some of the more useless points in the conflict web. (eg Hell, Rubbery Men.)
edited by WormApotheote on 3/9/2015

Hell’s useful to raise Urchins.

But it also adds at least two other cards, possibly even more depending. And there’s other ways to raise urchins that don’t wound you.