Polythreme!

Anyone actually got a reward from the spying? I went for the masters, and it suggested that IF I got anything, it would be at home. Where there is nothing out of the ordinary. :(
Fits the plot, though…

No, I don’t think there’s anything. No quality changed, no “something will happen soon…” message.

As the storylet itself said, don’t hold your breath.

Hi, I’m planning on heading out to Polythreme soon, but before I do that, I was considering cashing in most of my high-end goods to buy a Tigress. What besides Collated Research will I regret selling?

I believe I used up all my Mysteries of the Elder Continent rather quickly.

Polythreme only requires four different item types, two of which are farmable there - surface-silk and romantic notions. It’s even possible to do without the non-farmable types if you’re careful and/or lucky.

So it takes Surface Silk, Romantic Notions, Collated Research and Mysteries of the Elder Continent, but the first two can be farmed there and the last two are optional with proper planning/luck?

Correct.

The other goods types are used as the emergency late-in-the-cycle let’s-spend-irreplacable-goods bribe. But with proper planning, you can avoid the need for this.

Thanks!

I’m thinking bribes first, then to focus on one or the other.

I’m thinking to do what I can and then return when I’m POSI.

definitely a fun area. I wish the Tramp Steamer didn’t feel so grindy though :P

[quote=M_L_G]No, I don’t think there’s anything. No quality changed, no “something will happen soon…” message.

As the storylet itself said, don’t hold your breath.[/quote]

Oh, I quite like that they’ve let me down, again. I’m more willing to side against them. Just would be good to know it’s not a bug …

It’s not a bug.

There are so many interesting things to do in Polythreme, it’ll be a long, long time before I take the long zail route back to the Fifth City. I can’t quite believe I’m actually getting used to the unnatural life of something so prosaic as clothing here…

I’d quite happily let me scandal increase and walk around naked. In echo bazaar.

I’m rather bitterly disappointed in Polythreme to find such an unrelenting field of chance-based actions, with hardly a skill-based challenge in sight. I’m the kind of player who rarely tried actions riskier than modest unless absolutely necessary, and it drives me to conniptions to get unlucky that last time and end one point–one singular point!–away from 12 and being able to do anything interesting. I had to sail through two oceans to get here! Now I am wasting my time grinding for the right cards, resetting the damnable card clock every time I draw one, unable to reliably progress. Chance upon chance does not make for a pleasant gaming experience.

It’s been said before, but the trick is to use the Profit option to build up silk and notions, then use them to bribe your way along. 100 Surface-silk and 50 Notions will usually get you a good start in the progress quality you’re after, plus some free points in the other that you can then trade in with the Broker or the Clothes-colony.

Oh Polythreme, I will be with you again shortly, if I ever dock. My zub keeps wishing to make friends with underwater relics.

While I have had my fair share of having to do the nothing option, I managed to complete the investigating and fascinating routes: my system was careful card flipping til I got cards I could use after bribing the first two turns and then trading in the quality I didn’t want at the time.
But yeah, getting stuck at 11.5 hurts. Good luck all!

my first landing in Polythreme. I am down to one unnatural exuberance so I’ve been grinding silk and notions. they only other thing I can do is Panic because my overcoat is holding me hostage. I am an inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and magnificent gentleman, I DO NOT Panic. Is there any other way to restart without having to get in my zub and steam away?

Do panic. This will reset you and give you 11 more exuberance. Then grind 100 silk, go to Paying Your Way and divide your rewards between Investigating and Fascinating so you don’t get too high in either to spend your silk. Bribes get more expensive when either quality gets to 7.

Now grind 100 hearts and go back to Paying Your Way and do the same thing. By the time you’ve spent those you should have enough in both qualities to trade one for the other if what you want to do next costs 12 or 13 of one thing. Lather, rinse, repeat to finish all the stories. And have fun! Polythreme is one of the most emotional areas in the game. Enjoy it.

I read something about being able to earn an unfinished hat here. No luck yet. Any tips? Is that a possibility?

&quotA Clay Snub&quot starts this storyline. You’ll need an Exceptional Hat.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015