Polythreme ........ who took all the silk?

Ok, decided on a voyage to Polythreme. Why? I was hearing voices … clay ones of course.

Anyway, hadn’t done my homework on prerequisites, etc. After arriving it wasn’t long before I realised that a 3 card deck and poor attribute stats were going to make it a near impossible task.

So, I’m off back to London. I’ll return when I’m better prepared for the challenge. Oh, but wait, 80 pieces of silk you say? Herein lays the dilemma. I’ve stolen a good few batches of silk but now I’m just getting consecutive fails.

Can anyone please tell me where in Polythreme you can attain silk?

Thanks

Capt.Horatio

[quote=Capt.Horatio]Ok, decided on a voyage to Polythreme. Why? I was hearing voices … clay ones of course.

Anyway, hadn’t done my homework on prerequisites, etc. After arriving it wasn’t long before I realised that a 3 card deck and poor attribute stats were going to make it a near impossible task.

So, I’m off back to London. I’ll return when I’m better prepared for the challenge. Oh, but wait, 80 pieces of silk you say? Herein lays the dilemma. I’ve stolen a good few batches of silk but now I’m just getting consecutive fails.

Can anyone please tell me where in Polythreme you can attain silk?

Thanks

Capt.Horatio[/quote]

&quotOne might profit, even in such a place.&quot

It’s definitely easier, and more profitable, with 4 or 5 card lodgings. If you just want to get through the quests there, you can just pay your way instead of relying on luck.

When you do return to Polythreme, make sure to bring a Battered Grey Overcoat and an Exceptional Hat. Both are needed to obtain a unique piece of gear while you’re there.

I’ve been putting off going there, as I had no reason to go. Now the game has finally given me a task that requires going there, and I don’t want to. It sounds like an awful place (and I can’t say I cared for it much in Sunless Sea, either).

To each his own. I rather enjoy Polythreme. You have to ride the carousel to get anything done, but the same can be said for anywhere in to Zee. At least it’s not the Iron Republic.

The chief downside to Polythreme is that it can be confusing at first; there isn’t a big Start Here sign anywhere. (It would probably be mouthy if there were, so maybe its absence isn’t such a bad thing.) The wiki guide does a good job sorting the place out, so you might want to read it before you go. Also, of course, pack those items Optimatum mentioned. (I’m on my way back to Polythreme at the moment largely because of unfinished business with an Unfinished Hat.)

Who knows? I may well love the place when I get there. Just not in any hurry right now.

It’s quite nice to have things to do that you put to one side, rather than rushing and getting to that place where you’ve seen everything and interest starts to wane. I like to have a few in the bank.

[quote=Plynkes]Who knows? I may well love the place when I get there. Just not in any hurry right now.

It’s quite nice to have things to do that you put to one side, rather than rushing and getting to that place where you’ve seen everything and interest starts to wane. I like to have a few in the bank.[/quote] hmm yes id recommend waiting particularly if you dont have your own ship getting to polythreme is a bit of a drag(which is interestingly reflected in the way the trip is written) im thinking of heading out there again some with zorgans massive persuasive and shadowy.

Thanks for all your general tips and comments.

However, I’m still stuck in Polythreme trying to get back to London. I need 80 silk for a ticket. Does no one know how to do that? As I said in my OP the only option I see is to steal it and that eventually fails.

Silk, silk, silk …

Just keep stealing, you’ll get the 80 eventually.

[quote=Capt.Horatio]Thanks for all your general tips and comments.

However, I’m still stuck in Polythreme trying to get back to London. I need 80 silk for a ticket. Does no one know how to do that? As I said in my OP the only option I see is to steal it and that eventually fails.

Silk, silk, silk …[/quote]

Just stay in &quotOne might profit.&quot

You can keep trying, can’t you? If your Persuasive is better than your Dangerous, you might try &quotSoft to the Touch,&quot instead of &quotMake off with a box of Silks.&quot

[quote=Aberrant Eremite]
You can keep trying, can’t you? If your Persuasive is better than your Dangerous, you might try &quotSoft to the Touch,&quot instead of &quotMake off with a box of Silks.&quot[/quote]
Yes, of course I can keep trying. I’m just surprised that this is the only available option for getting back to London. I guess I’m so used to the many choices in Fallen London that I was expecting something more. Ho hum!

Thanks anyway.

The other option would be zailing away on your own personal vessel, but I assume you don’t have one yet. You can get one when you’re a Person of Some Importance, at Wolfstack Docks. Good luck with the silks!

[quote=Capt.Horatio][quote=Aberrant Eremite]
You can keep trying, can’t you? If your Persuasive is better than your Dangerous, you might try &quotSoft to the Touch,&quot instead of &quotMake off with a box of Silks.&quot[/quote]
Yes, of course I can keep trying. I’m just surprised that this is the only available option for getting back to London. I guess I’m so used to the many choices in Fallen London that I was expecting something more. Ho hum!

Thanks anyway.[/quote]

I think most players may hold off on Polythreme until after they are POSI, which helps a lot with some of the challenges! Congratulations to you for your boldness in taking the steamer and trying it sooner.