[POLL] Your least favorite Exceptional Story?

Want to see the current standings without voting? Click here!

This is the complementary poll to that other poll ;)

Again, &quotFlint&quot is not included, as it’s kinda unfair to compare it to the &quotregular&quot ES in my opinion.

There are 15 options - I’d recommend only voting if you’ve played through at least 2/3 of them ;)
edited by phryne on 10/1/2016

Wait, no, I want to change my vote! I clicked Court of Cats but really it’s Art of Murder. I mean, neither’s bad - they just didn’t quite push my buttons, so to speak, as some of the others did.

Now that is a much more spread out result. Would be interesting to hear the rationale behind these choices.

I am saddened in that I cannot vote for Flint, as Fling and it’s lousy plot are a personal enemy of mine. At no point did I feel like I was making interesting decisions or even witnessing something particularly fascinating. No, it’s just an excursion into a place I had no particular interest in and most of whose lore, I feel, does not significantly tie in with anything else.
It reminds me of Flute Street. While both unlock permanent locations and involve a long journey, both I find disinteresting as stories, and the locations they unlock just get a ‘eh, I don’t think I have any reason to go there now. Or ever.’ reaction from me.
I guess I’ll have to settle for the only other exceptional story that I’ve played and actively disliked: Five Minutes to Midday. It just wasn’t fit for me. I looked at bomberman and said ‘Nah, I ain’t helping this man blow up the faction I have the highest connected with’ and that was basically the end of the story for me. Nothing happened to change my mind, or impress me, or interest me, just a casual stroll through the Embassy. I’d only recommend getting it if you REALLY want to blow up the Embassy, if messing with the devils is a personal goal of yours/your character’s.

My least favorite ES was &quotLast Dog Society.&quot I found &quotLast Dog Society&quot to be 1) too short; 2) lacking in any insights applicable to the main mysteries of FL, and 3) having as its climax a bafflingly cruel death. By the way, I have played all of the ES in the poll except for Calendar Code and Chimney Pot Wars. (And perhaps Discernment; could anyone refresh my recollection as to what that was about?)

EDIT (after realizing that I had failed to indicate which was my least favorite ES above).
edited by cathyr19355 on 9/28/2016

I am saddened I cannot veiw the results without skewing them- next time can you add a “prefer not to disclose” or a similar option?

Why can’t you? I can just log out and see them then. I assume that goes for everyone.

Discernment had searching for a stolen rare soul, hanging out at a Discerning Deviless’s salon, talking to a strange-souled poet, and persuading the Deviless to do <chosen ending>. There was also a brief bit where you could purchase the stolen soul and then sell it at the end, but it was very much optional and unmemorable.

Discernment had searching for a stolen rare soul, hanging out at a Discerning Deviless’s salon, talking to a strange-souled poet, and persuading the Deviless to do <chosen ending>. There was also a brief bit where you could purchase the stolen soul and then sell it at the end, but it was very much optional and unmemorable.[/quote]

Ah, that story. Thank you. Actually, I did play Discernment; it’s biggest value for me was the item I obtained from it.

I voted for the Seven Day Reign. I didn’t really enjoy the story, since I don’t really like the stags club very much. It just didn’t float my boat.

Here are the results of the two polls:

Favourite story (117 users have voted):
38 votes: Lost in Reflections

11 votes: Where You & I Must Go
9 votes: Frequently Deceased, Waltz that Moved the World, Chimney-Pot Wars, Cut with Moonlight
8 votes: Calendar Code

Least favourite story (89 users have voted):
12 votes: Art of Murder
11 votes: Discernment, Court of Cats
10 votes: Last Dog Society, Seven-Day Reign
7 votes: Five Minutes to Midday
6 votes: Where You & I Must Go

And here’s a breakdown of how often each story was considered &quotfavourite&quot or &quotleast favourite&quot:

01. Lost in Reflections: 38-1
02. Cut with Moonlight: 9-1
03. The Frequently Deceased: 9-2
04. The Calendar Code: 8-1
05. The Chimney Pot Wars: 9-3
06. Where You and I Must Go: 11-6
07. The Waltz that Moved the World: 9-5
08. The Pentecost Predicament: 5-5
09. Five Minutes to Midday: 5-7
10. The Haunting at the Marsh-House: 2-4
11. The Art of Murder: 6-12
12. The Seven-Day Reign: 2-10
12. The Last Dog Society: 2-10
14. The Court of Cats: 2-11
15. Discernment: 0-11
edited by phryne on 2/26/2018

I voted Five Minutes as while it’s not bad, it’s just…lacking. The subject matter is interesting, mechanics don’t seem bad, it’s just not executed as well as one would hope. Whereas the other typically worse considered stories I avoided because of it and thus can’t say. I worry I’m thus skewing results somewhat, but I’ve played now a good portion of the ES’s, just I skipped a handful due to reputation.
edited by Cthonius on 9/28/2016

I’m voting, sadly, for Where You and I Must Go. I loved the first half of that story so much. I loved the terror and the tension and the companionship. I loved the eerie beauty of the wreck, and the lavishly detailed red scene. Unfortunately, after all of that, the second half, while by no means bad, felt like a little bit of a mood killer. By the time the story ended, all of the great fear and misery had dissipated, which was a bummer, for me. Keep in mind that &quotleast favorite&quot here is a totally relative term, though, since I really liked this story. It’s just the one that I really liked less than I really liked the others. ^_^[li]

I do wish I could vote for three of them. I rather dislike The waltz that moved the world, art of murder, and seven day reign. While Folklore has killed several people pernamently, it has never been for enjoyment or lackadaisical reasons. As for the waltz, I’ve never been much into the Great Game, and the story seemed meh.

And now we’re into the meta misclick stage; where we have regrets about misclicking when describing our reactions to content. :-)