Please tell us Connected:Urchin conversion formula

It would be so nice to know roughly what level we need to hit in advance to have a certain level of renown when the conversion happens. Otherwise, it’s just months and months of endlessly dumping my actions into Connected:Urchins with no end whatsoever in sight, which is not fun.

The past conversions used a formula of R = (C-21)/x where R is Renown, C is Connected, and x is the conversion rate. In the four conversions so far, x has been either 5 or 6 depending on the rarity of the connection. So if Urchins uses one of those rates you’ll need C: Urchins 321 for Renown: Urchins 50.

Hmm, so either 221 or 261 for Renown: 40. Gotcha. That’s a depressingly large mountain to climb, but at least it tells me the target.

I’ve been overshooting my connections just in case, and have been getting everything to 375. My urchins is a mere 300 right now, due to solely being raised with opportunity cards, but I hope to get decent renown regardless.

There is an option in the flit in which you can your CP by 3 points per action without having to use cards. It is a slow but reliable grind.

Yeah I know about it. Don’t find it worthwhile to do when I can spend my actions on raising constables/hell much quicker, and they’re not too far away either.

So what are folks using to raise connected to the Urchins? I haven’t found anything that seems worth doing. Bohemians, Society and the Duchess you can raise like nobody’s business in the Shuttered Palace. The Urchins don’t seem to have an equivalent option in the Flit. You just get tiny little dribbles.

The Urchins/Hell conflict card gives 30 CP of C: Urchins every time you side with them. I’m pretty sure grinding C: Hell and converting it is more efficient than grinding Urchins directly in the Flit. You can also buy C: Urchins from their card.

Please note that the above is far from a guarantee for any upcoming conversions.

They have said somewhere (I can’t remember if it was Blog, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.) that they look at the average connection score for all players of Fallen London and use that as a basis for what the formula will be. So if for some reason lots of players (keep in mind that the people here on the forums are a small minority of all players) have a high Connected: Urchins then it might be higher than 5 or 6.

A Name Signed with a Flourish 0-2 - 3 CP
Widow CC - 30 CP
Hell CC - 30 CP
No pet - 15 CP
Urchin card - 10 CP
A Name Whispered in Darkness 2-3 - 15 CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - ? CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - 4 CP
Trickster’s reward - 5 CP
Criminal favour card - 15 CP
Dangerous 57-87 - 12 CP
Shadowy 69-106 - 5 CP

Opportunism Spite - 1 CP
Crowds of Spite Carousel - 10 CP
Numismatrix - 10 CP
[b]Fisher King - 3 CP

[/b]Bold ones means you don’t need to rely on cards, but they offer tiny amount of CP compared to the AP required. If you don’t want to derail you can try raise it with the two conflict cards, faction card and An implausible penance card option. Using this 3 options I managed to get to 371, but I started using them since it was announced that they are next.
If you get to 7 Criminal Favours and have more cards you can always start the Thieves cache expedition to consume one.

[quote=Robin Alexander]I’ve been avoiding the hell card, as that lowers Hell, and that’ll be coming up soon as a conversion to renown (and I’m not struggling to build that up from virtually 0 to 221).
[/quote]
If you mean the conflict card, I think you’re still better off using the card than not. Selling Casing to Hell nets 90(?)cp for 8 actions. Using the conflict card 6 times converts that to 180cp urchins. So if you want to maintain no net change with hell, that 180cp Urchins costs 14 actions, or over 12cp per action. That’s still better than what you can get from the Flit. Wounds are a limiting factor, but I suspect it’s still more action-efficient to chug tinctures of vigor.

A Name Signed with a Flourish 0-2 - 3 CP
Widow CC - 30 CP
Hell CC - 30 CP
No pet - 15 CP
Urchin card - 10 CP
A Name Whispered in Darkness 2-3 - 15 CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - ? CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - 4 CP
Trickster’s reward - 5 CP
Criminal favour card - 15 CP
Dangerous 57-87 - 12 CP
Shadowy 69-106 - 5 CP

Opportunism Spite - 1 CP
Crowds of Spite Carousel - 10 CP
Numismatrix - 10 CP
[b]Fisher King - 3 CP

[/b]Bold ones means you don’t need to rely on cards, but they offer tiny amount of CP compared to the AP required. If you don’t want to derail you can try raise it with the two conflict cards, faction card and An implausible penance card option. Using this 3 options I managed to get to 371, but I started using them since it was announced that they are next.
If you get to 7 Criminal Favours and have more cards you can always start the Thieves cache expedition to consume one.[/quote]

Using the Widow/Urchins conflict card has the additional advantage of reducing your Nightmares when you choose Urchins, assuming you need Nightmare reduction. (Unfortunately, I think that also reduces Melancholy, assuming you care about that).

Yes, it does, but I didn’t include any menaces. Plus, some may enjoy a little bit of nightmares! :D

So, this time the conversion rate was 7.

Constables is next. A much, much higher conversion rate – possibly 15 or 20, even – is likely, which would mean 621 connected needed to get 40 renown (if x=15) or 821 (if x=20).

Since Connected: Constables is roughly 10CP per action (5 actions per level), even if you’re sitting at a fairly high number like 100 right now, that means 2605 actions (if x=15) or 3605 actions (x=20). That means 3-4 weeks of straight grinding, ugh.

If you guess wrong and don’t grind that extra week, you’ll be at renown 30 instead of renown 40… which is a very long grind indeed.
edited by Televangelist on 1/19/2017

[quote=Televangelist]So, this time the conversion rate was 7.

Constables is next. A much, much higher conversion rate – possibly 15 or 20, even – is likely, which would mean 621 connected needed to get 40 renown (if x=15) or 821 (if x=20).

Since Connected: Constables is roughly 10CP per action (5 actions per level), even if you’re sitting at a fairly high number like 100 right now, that means 2605 actions (if x=15) or 3605 actions (x=20). That means 3-4 weeks of straight grinding, ugh.

If you guess wrong and don’t grind that extra week, you’ll be at renown 30 instead of renown 40… which is a very long grind indeed.
edited by Televangelist on 1/19/2017[/quote]
Well, it’s only 91 favors from 30->40, which might be better? i mean, favors grind is very much non-trivial, but that could well be better than grinding up to 821 connection. Though obviously you want to get as much as you can, favor grinding isn’t as horrible as some people make it out to be- and you can do other things while working on it, often, which {usually} cannot be said of connection grinds

[quote=Grenem][quote=Televangelist]So, this time the conversion rate was 7.

Well, it’s only 91 favors from 30->40, which might be better? i mean, favors grind is very much non-trivial, but that could well be better than grinding up to 821 connection. Though obviously you want to get as much as you can, favor grinding isn’t as horrible as some people make it out to be- and you can do other things while working on it, often, which {usually} cannot be said of connection grinds[/quote]

91 favors? Assuming 1 favor per CP of renown, I count something like… 315 favors? What am I missing here? :X

[quote=Televangelist][quote=Grenem][quote=Televangelist]So, this time the conversion rate was 7.

Well, it’s only 91 favors from 30->40, which might be better? i mean, favors grind is very much non-trivial, but that could well be better than grinding up to 821 connection. Though obviously you want to get as much as you can, favor grinding isn’t as horrible as some people make it out to be- and you can do other things while working on it, often, which {usually} cannot be said of connection grinds[/quote]

91 favors? Assuming 1 favor per CP of renown, I count something like… 315 favors? What am I missing here? :X[/quote]
The acceleration. I believe you’ve read this post by now, but for anyone else who isn’t aware:

I am trying very hard not to be too grumpy about this conversion. What is done is done, but might I suggest that for the next conversion you do some kind of escalating formula? Basically making it increasingly difficult to get a new level - kind of like levels work for the stats?

The problem with that is that there are tiers. getting to 8 from 7 is more valuable than from 8 to 9, and some of the easiest levels are in the 15->~20 stretch- often you’ll get two levels for a single batch of 7.So instead of trying to optimize fairness, they just said &quot*** it&quot. Not the approach I’d have taken, but… fair enough.

Do we know for certain that Constables is next? I seem to remember they said Hell was coming, but I’m not particularly sure