Please Change Back The Event Conclusion Snippets

I noticed there has been a terrible and horrible change in the profile/showmore eventconclusion links to the text of a snippet in echoing.

This is extremely disheartening.
I have accumulated many links to various storylet outcomes in the old, better format, and I want the format to change back.

Can you say what changed? I’m curious.

You used to be able to get the isolated text for a text snippet in a window by itself, by opening the “Show More” link in someone’s journal for an echo in a new tab.

The format used to be this, nice, simple format:

fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/ShowMore/(Insert Number Here)/EventConclusion

Now, there is some “Content Key” nonsense that has caused all the old links I had collected for snippets of interest to become broken.

You know, it would be nice if we had the ability to search our journals, so it wouldn’t take forever to find things our characters did months and months ago.

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole]You used to be able to get the isolated text for a text snippet in a window by itself, by opening the &quotShow More&quot link in someone’s journal for an echo in a new tab.[/quote]Ouch, that’s very unfortunate. And you can’t get them back by using &quotfromEchoId=(Insert number)&quot too since you need to know whose profile each of them is from…

Well, now I’m glad I saved all interesting echoes of other players as complete profile links - not as event conclusions!

It still seems to be possible to open everything directly:

fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/ShowMore/(echo ID)/EventConclusion?contentKey=(result ID)

Basically the link now includes the ID of the echo in a journal where the ID of the result previously was, and that ID goes in a different spot. It’s possible to switch the result ID and have it load another result just fine. I dunno what the exact purpose of this was though. Detecting datamining? Making it harder to find text through google?

Presumably, the result id was the same for everyone, so it also displayed the same text for everyone.
Journal echo ID can also identify whose result it is, and display text with the proper qualities substituted (his/her/its, aunt/daughter/clown, …)

I liked searching through the texts in google in the past. I could find mentions of a subject in the lore that way.

[quote=xKiv]Presumably, the result id was the same for everyone, so it also displayed the same text for everyone.
Journal echo ID can also identify whose result it is, and display text with the proper qualities substituted (his/her/its, aunt/daughter/clown, …)[/quote]

And I do notice that the very first echo in my own journal begins with the word &quotSir&quot! Those substitution tokens were an annoyance for a long while, and gave the journal an amateurish feel. This is a most excellent change indeed.

Sounds like it’s a good change, albeit one which was unexpected and requires a bit of adapting to get used to. :-)

You know, back when I was working at Amazon someone told me that you should never use sequential IDs for anything. People who like to poke around will plug in numbers just to see what they can find. Case in point:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/ShowMore/9208383/EventConclusion?contentKey=240665

I have no idea what story that’s from, but if you look at the next few numbers you can see what would happen if you saved Arnold instead. After that come the conclusions for investigating election candidates, and who knows what else. I’m going to work my way back to see if I can piece together how Arnold and the Deductress got themselves into that predicament.

But that’s exactly what I like to do.

[quote=PJ]You know, back when I was working at Amazon someone told me that you should never use sequential IDs for anything. People who like to poke around will plug in numbers just to see what they can find. Case in point:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/ShowMore/9208383/EventConclusion?contentKey=240665[/quote]

That snippet doesn’t sound like FL at all!

This and this sound like it’s a work in progress… I’d say it’s a future ES but vampires are mentioned and vampires are not part of Neathy lore… yet.

Click your way through the story starting here. It’s definitely not FL. If it’s from another SN game, I’d really like to know which one! (same for the Mina/Arnold story)
edited by phryne on 7/30/2016

Hey, can’t forget about professor strix! Who is 100% canon what are you talking about?

At least we kinda found a way to play the old games on storynexus?