Pirate's Pleasure

How the heck do you get this?

You can’t. It’s something from the beta.

Speaking of &quotA Pirate’s Pleasure&quot - why can’t we decrease terror at the Isle of Cats like we do in London? The place has a bar, a brothel, and lots of drugs. Just like home. Then again, this is similar to complaints that there are no other shipyards in the area to enact repairs from despite the number of factions making their own warships.

But yes, there are still issues that need to be resolved from Beta.

edited by Owen Wulf on 4/10/2015

Can one really rest easy anywhere near those Gardens, or Isery D:[li]

Nothing is impossible with lots of Prisoner’s Honey! I kid of course, I do suppose the actual prospect of such a stay would be less than tempting for many.

Well, the Isle of Cats is always right next to Visage, which gives free Terror reduction. Kinda redundant to have it there as well. However, I think you can reduce Terror with a SAY at the Isle if you finish the Pirate King’s requests…
edited by Olorin on 4/10/2015

Apparently Pirate’s Pleasure is not a terror-reducing event; it is meant to be a place to pick up echoes for civilian ships you’ve seized and sent to Gaider’s Mourn. It is possible, but with the current mechanics it is frustrating at best.
The idea, as it stands currently, is that you have to kill every last crew member without sinking the ship and then select the option to send the ship to Gaider’s Mourn. There was also, at least at one point, a similar option to send prize ships to London if you managed to capture a pirate ship instead of a civilian one; at this point it is not clear if this feature has been removed.
There are actually several threads that have been started about this feature. I have one where I actually tested the idea extensively:http://community.failbettergames.com/topic19350-on-the-seizure-of-ships-piracy-and-privateering.aspx

My chief concern is that I don’t think it should be necessary to completely obliterate a crew in order to seize a ship. Once an enemy crew reaches 50%, there should be an iron challenge that determines how much crew you lost when you attempt a boarding action. This would allow a number of previous options from the Early Access to become available again: from seizing pirate vessels, to sparing Khanate Ships for reducing suspicion, to actual legitimate piracy.
I am hoping the idea is reopened for discussion soon.

[li]

Ha, you said ‘legitimate piracy.’ As in…

“This is the Royal Navy. We are coming alongside. If you are legitimate pirates, please have your current Piracy License, proof of Ship & Crew insurance, and Smuggling registration card ready…”

Legitimate piracy is called privateering or freebooting. It would be an interesting feature when you could acquire a letter of marque from the Admiralty (or an other fraction, like the Iron Rep. or the Khanate).

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Johnny~Felix
edited by Johnny Felix on 4/10/2015

[quote=The Dark Gentleman]Ha, you said ‘legitimate piracy.’ As in…

&quotThis is the Royal Navy. We are coming alongside. If you are legitimate pirates, please have your current Piracy License, proof of Ship & Crew insurance, and Smuggling registration card ready…&quot[/quote]

While that might actually fly in Fallen London (it certainly would pass as a nice satire…), privateering is actually a historically documenting phenomenon. They wouldn’t call it a &quotlicense&quot though. Traditionally, a &quotLetter of Marque&quot was the correct terminology for hiring pirate’s to do the Royal Family’s business. ;)

[li]

My apologies for the oversight, and thank you both for the reminder. The actual historical practice of legitimate piracy completely slipped my mind. I believe I’ll blame it on the Monty Python-esque scene immediately conjured by my mind upon reading the phrase “legitimate piracy” while listening to a commercial for auto insurance…

Looks like you’d have to go after the Flensing-type forward weapons and pick away at the enemy ship with those, in order to get either To the Victor, The Spoils or Pirate’s Pleasure with the current mechanic.

I have the Memento Mori and it’s too much fun to give up. Next time I come across a high-Hull enemy ship…

[quote=Lashkar]Looks like you’d have to go after the Flensing-type forward weapons and pick away at the enemy ship with those, in order to get either To the Victor, The Spoils or Pirate’s Pleasure with the current mechanic.

I have the Memento Mori and it’s too much fun to give up. Next time I come across a high-Hull enemy ship…[/quote]

Except for the fact that it is next-to-impossible to kill all of the crew–on any ship–no matter what weapon you have equipped. The only way to currently accomplish this is by either cheating via editing, or by purposefully lowering your Iron to an absurd degree (Something like <20? In another thread here somewhere). Otherwise, it is literally impossible to clear all crew from an enemy ship before the hull is destroyed.

[quote=Sigred][quote=Lashkar]Looks like you’d have to go after the Flensing-type forward weapons and pick away at the enemy ship with those, in order to get either To the Victor, The Spoils or Pirate’s Pleasure with the current mechanic.

I have the Memento Mori and it’s too much fun to give up. Next time I come across a high-Hull enemy ship…[/quote]

Except for the fact that it is next-to-impossible to kill all of the crew–on any ship–no matter what weapon you have equipped. The only way to currently accomplish this is by either cheating via editing, or by purposefully lowering your Iron to an absurd degree (Something like <20? In another thread here somewhere). Otherwise, it is literally impossible to clear all crew from an enemy ship before the hull is destroyed.[/quote]

I’ve actually attempted it several times with the best flensing weapons possible but to no avail. Even the wiki has an entry for &quotPirate’s Pleasure&quot where the acquirement field is blank – it literally says &quotAnother Day: Pirate’s Pleasure can be obtained in the following ways: &quot and proceeds with a list that is completely blank.
At this point, I’m hoping that boarding actions can just be implemented – a &quotnear impossible&quot iron challenge if the ship has max crew, and then slowly getting easier as the enemy crew dwindles. I feel like it would be a fun thing to balance, and there have been several threads on the issue…

[li]