picking an ambition

firstly, a preemptive apology for the newbie question.

I actually feel like I’m somewhat mid-level by now, but more experienced players would probably consider this the first part of the game: I’m averaging 35-45 in all my stats right now, and I still haven’t picked an ambition. The internet tells me that the four available to me right now are all of them, and I’m having trouble choosing because apparently it’s very hard to change. Is there one of them that would be particularly of interest to someone who especially likes Watchful (and secondly, Shadowy) experiences and is interested in the secret-knowledge-pursuing aspects of the game? anything that would get me in with the revolutionaries or lead me to more secrets of the origins of Fallen London, etc. sound the most appealing.

I took Heart’s Desire myself, on the assumption that, having Watchful as one of the stats used, it would be like Watchful storyline content. It is not. It has interesting snippets and you learn things about certain important characters, but it has no real plot and is generally pretty meh in my opinion.

If you want plot, I have heard very good things about Light Fingers. I would try that one if I were you.

oh, interesting. I’d heard several people rave about Heart’s Desire, but without specifics, so that’s good to know. thanks!

The ambitions focus on:

Watchful & Dangerous: Nemesis and Bag A Legend
Watchful & Persuasive: Heart’s Desire
Shadowy & Persausive: Light Fingers

I’ve personally chosen Hearts Desire, but they all have their own secrets to find out, and to my knowledge none deal with revolutionaries. Just pick whichever one seems to appeal the most to you as it is.

I will say this though: It’d be difficult to find any storyline that focuses on both watchful AND shadowy, as they are opposing stats in a way. Watchful is about uncovering things, and often has you aiding the constables. Shadowy is about keeping things hidden, and often has you aiding criminals. Persuasive and dangerous are also opposing: Persuasive often involves you finding diplomatic solutions to problems, and deals with high class individuals, while dangerous involves more direct methods, and has you dealing with low class individuals.

[quote=amisophe]
or lead me to more secrets of the origins of Fallen London, etc. sound the most appealing.[/quote]

I’m not sure about the others, but Light Fingers has some interesting information on the Bazaar and the Masters.

ah, okay. the opposing stats concept makes sense, since I initially thought there would end up being ambitions for all combinations of stats. It seems my problem is I want to find diplomatic solutions to problems dealing with the lower classes, and I’m too wary of assisting authorities when I haven’t uncovered their secrets /o\

I was drawn to the Nemesis ambition, because I like stories about having to make awful decisions. (From what I’ve heard of the other Ambitions, it sounds like they also might involve this, but Nemesis was the one that told me up front that I was on a quest for vengeance. I like that in an Ambition.) My main qualities are all at around 100 at the moment, and I am working up my Dangerous to progress. My choice has not disappointed me in the least with regard to secret-learning; I’ve learned loads of interestingly horrible things.

I do recall a blog post somewhere stating that all four of the Ambitions would or already did delve into the secrets of the Neath, but can’t find it. Anyone else remember this? At any rate, Nemesis alternates between Watchful storylines and Dangerous ones, and so far I have learned some interesting things about the Tomb Colonies and how death doesn’t work in the Neath.

I haven’t curried favor with the revolutionaries particularly, but I… okay, well, I have destroyed a number of things and occasionally people for them. It hasn’t yet been required of me for Nemesis, but it has never been discouraged either. I think the option of helping revolutionaries tends to show up mostly in Shadowy storylets, so you might prefer Light Fingers as it’s got more of a Shadowy focus. High Connected: Revolutionaries can eventually gain you Dangerous, though, so if you want to help them out frequently and then use your connections to pursue your own Ambition, you might choose one of the Dangerous Ambitions.

I have to say, I picked Watchful as my “primary” characteristic, so my choices were Heart’s Desire and Nemesis, and Nemesis didn’t fit my character at all. (I spent a long time with high values in Watchful, Persuasive, and Shadowy with a dreadfully low Dangerous before running out of content and building up Dangerous after all.)

I have been a little disappointed with Heart’s Desire when reading the other descriptions of the threads, but it does have the potential for a large narrative payoff. I liked the last arc through Polythreme very much. I would still pick it over Nemesis. But the other two each sound a lot more enjoyable, especially Light Fingers. I’m fully-invested in Heart’s Desire and will see it to the end, but given a new character, I’d probably go:

Light Fingers
Bag a Legend
Heart’s Desire
Nemesis

so you can help the revolutionaries even from non-Shadowy ambitions? awesome. it looks like all the qualities end up tying into each other anyway, so all the ambitions lead to further discoveries, but everyone seems to be in agreement about Light Fingers, which is definite encouragement in that direction. thank you!

I have to agree the last part of Heart’s Desire Ambition, while short, was very interesting - well written, shedding some light on one of Neath’s mysteries, and presenting a couple of compelling characters (I also find the character’s motivations more realistic than before). It still lacks a bit of plot though; I hope the next snippet ( [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]in Spite[/color] ) turns out less Persuasive-y and more Watchful-y, requiring more investigating (the start of the Ambition in the Forgotten Quarter was quite compelling; I miss the noir atmosphere very much).

That said, I read Light Fingers’ plot, and it’s just - beautiful. I’m not going to change Ambition (especially now that it’s getting better), but if I had another character, I’d go for Light Fingers at once.

All of the ambitions do that, in different ways. Which is why I want to play them all… ahem
I can’t say much about Nemesis, as it’s the only Ambition I haven’t played so far. I never felt particularly drawn to it, revenge stories are just so common… About the others:

• Heart’s Desire: funny. odd. very odd at times. you’ll get in contact with some of the most interesting characters in Fallen London, like the Topsy King and the Manager[/li][li]Light Fingers: interesting story, but very slow going. Can’t tell much more as I’m still trying to get past the first few steps in the Orphanage right now. Good to know: you’ll receive Lethean Tea-Leaves (which normally cost 50 Fate) as part of the story, so you practically get one Ambition-change for free.[/li][li]Bag a Legend: my personal favourite. like Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes and Conan the Barbarian all mixed up in the Neath ;)

edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

All of the ambitions involve some juicy secrets and lore… most of the meat of Light Fingers is uncovering a conspiracy reaching to the highest reaches of the Bazaar. Nemesis is similarly conspiratorial, I understand, and extends to some of the malefactors outside of London. Bag A Legend stays very close to its core premise, accumulating knowledge and equipment to hunt the Vake. Heart’s Desire, as has been noted, pays off chiefly in meeting and exploring the histories of some of London’s finest eccentrics.

My primary Ambition is Heart’s Desire and I do not regret this decision. It’s very steeped in the secrets of the past cities and how certain characters became these people. Which goes with the nature of the Marvellous. You do spend a lot of time running around and finding people and then finding things for those people, but you get a monkey that costs 90 Echos in the Bazaar. I enjoy the storytelling for Heart’s Desire a lot as well as the various stories that come out about the people involved. And how much the Duchess’ words really are true.

My secondary Ambition is Bag A Legend which does go into some history of the Bazaar, but not as much. You also learn some interesting secrets about certain people. As has been stated it’s more actiony and you end up accumulating various equipment for you hunt. Things seem to be suggesting interesting things regarding the Vake, but it’s only been hinted at. But it’s fun and you get to run around doing things and beating people up and such.

I’m also doing Light Fingers on my secondary alt character, but I haven’t gotten very far into it yet so I can’t say much.

All the Ambitions go into the secrets and lore of the Bazaar, just in different ways. You really should just pick the one that seems most interesting to you and which fits your character best.

[quote=amaresu]My primary Ambition is Heart’s Desire and I do not regret this decision. It’s very steeped in the secrets of the past cities and how certain characters became these people. Which goes with the nature of the Marvellous. You do spend a lot of time running around and finding people and then finding things for those people, but you get a monkey that costs 90 Echos in the Bazaar. I enjoy the storytelling for Heart’s Desire a lot as well as the various stories that come out about the people involved. And how much the Duchess’ words really are true.

My secondary Ambition is Bag A Legend which does go into some history of the Bazaar, but not as much. You also learn some interesting secrets about certain people. As has been stated it’s more actiony and you end up accumulating various equipment for you hunt. Things seem to be suggesting interesting things regarding the Vake, but it’s only been hinted at. But it’s fun and you get to run around doing things and beating people up and such.

I’m also doing Light Fingers on my secondary alt character, but I haven’t gotten very far into it yet so I can’t say much.

All the Ambitions go into the secrets and lore of the Bazaar, just in different ways. You really should just pick the one that seems most interesting to you and which fits your character best.[/quote]

Wait a minute… You DO get a Cardsharp Monkey, and it is usefult, but it’s a pale, toned-down version of the Malevolent Monkey: +2 Watchful, -2 Dangerous and -2 Persuasive instead of +2 Watchful, +2 Dangerous. It’s still my best Watchful pet, but not as good as the Bazaar’s Malevolent one.

On a different topic - what do you mean, the words of the Duchess are true?

hah, that’s great. It appears I’m a definite conspiracy theorist in fiction, if I can’t be irl…
edited by amisophe on 5/17/2012

[quote=streetfelineblue]

Wait a minute… You DO get a Cardsharp Monkey, and it is usefult, but it’s a pale, toned-down version of the Malevolent Monkey: +2 Watchful, -2 Dangerous and -2 Persuasive instead of +2 Watchful, +2 Dangerous. It’s still my best Watchful pet, but not as good as the Bazaar’s Malevolent one.

On a different topic - what do you mean, the words of the Duchess are true?[/quote]

Ha! I totally failed to realize I had two Monekys in my pets slot. I don’t remember buying the Malevolent Monkey at all.

Have you finished the University yet? What she tells you while you’re working on a case there.

[quote=amaresu]Ha! I totally failed to realize I had two Monekys in my pets slot. I don’t remember buying the Malevolent Monkey at all.

Have you finished the University yet? What she tells you while you’re working on a case there.[/quote]

Ah! No, I already opened the storylet for my own department, but they’re too useful a grinding tool to progress with the storyline yet. I’ll start investigating when I’ll be about maxed out in Qualities (not needing much more) and I’ll have reintegrated the goods that I’ve spent to obtain the trappings of a Person of Some Importance.

[quote=streetfelineblue]

Ah! No, I already opened the storylet for my own department, but they’re too useful a grinding tool to progress with the storyline yet. I’ll start investigating when I’ll be about maxed out in Qualities (not needing much more) and I’ll have reintegrated the goods that I’ve spent to obtain the trappings of a Person of Some Importance.[/quote]

There’s a lot of interesting tidbits scattered throughout the later part of the University storyline and one particular revelation about the Duchess that really put a whole new spin on the Masters and the Bazaar for me.

I love that bit of the university storyline. For some reason, one phrase that sticks out in my mind is “would it be terribly impolite to ignore your tea cup? It would.”

This is why I love the Duchess best. Sometimes, when other characters don’t usurp her temporarily.