Petition for new quality: "Total worth"?

I was idly working in my study this afternoon counting up all my conciderable assets (all the while avoiding the tendrils of my greedy singular plant) when it suddently struck me: Wouldn’t it be handy if there was an Inventory display to show the total value of all my possessions?

Further, wouldn’t it be great if I could show this off on my mantlepiece for bragging rights? Surely it would be a wonderful way of showing off my importance?

What does everyone else think, do you think it would be worth petitioning for this?
edited by Jon Brehaut on 2/10/2012

I feel this would make for a Sisyphean game of catch-up in which folks are constantly trying to up their wealth rather than their stories.

I believe that displaying multiple Overgoats on your mantelpiece will get the message across clearly enough.

For some reason, my brain read “multiple orgasms” where you wrote “multiple Overgoats”. I must be really tired. Or something else.

You don’t need a petition. They’re already working on it.

For some reason, my brain read “multiple orgasms” where you wrote “multiple Overgoats”. I must be really tired. Or something else.[/quote]

Scandal is increasing…

I admit that I do use a googledoc essentially keep a living inventory of my, well, inventory. It separates them by disposability, that is what I am currently grinding, so that I know when I have enough to cash in for whatever piece of gear I am currently grinding for, but it also keeps an overall total, mostly for my own amusement.

This essentially ignores things such as your various lodgings, routes, connections, Memories of Light, etc. which can not be cashed in for echos.

I imagine Failbetter has a chart somewhere of this, just so they know how close anyone is to affording Hesperidean Cider. But maybe that’s just my imagination.

So if the prize of the Hesperidean cidr suddenly goes up, we’ll know why?

So if the prize of the Hesperidean cidr suddenly goes up, we’ll know why?[/quote]
That and the unholy scream of agony so loud that it shatters the souls of the devout six countries over.

[quote=Patrick Reding]You don’t need a petition. They’re already working on it.

For some reason, my brain read “multiple orgasms” where you wrote “multiple Overgoats”. I must be really tired. Or something else.[/quote]

Scandal is increasing…[/quote]

Bizarre +2 XD

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=Patrick Reding]You don’t need a petition. They’re already working on it.

Scandal is increasing…[/quote]

Bizarre +2 XD[/quote]
Running Gag… shows your progress in this venture.

So if the prize of the Hesperidean cidr suddenly goes up, we’ll know why?[/quote]
That and the unholy scream of agony so loud that it shatters the souls of the devout six countries over.[/quote]

Not to mention the trolling laughter from the Failbetter games crew…

You know, I think a quality called “Totally worth it” might be fun. For those of us who like to jump in sacks and wells. :)

A quality for doing foolish things jsut for the hell of it? If any game really needs that it’s Echo Bazaar…

A quality for doing foolish things jsut for the hell of it? If any game really needs that it’s Echo Bazaar…[/quote]

Yes, a “But the quest says right there it’s a bad idea… why do you keep doing it?!” quality. In fact, it could just be those last two symbols: “!?”

That urge is even the motivation behind my clique name.

[quote=Dave ]Yes, a “But the quest says right there it’s a bad idea… why do you keep doing it?!” quality. In fact, it could just be those last two symbols: “!?”

That urge is even the motivation behind my clique name.[/quote]

Mine too, actually. Perhaps an alliance might be called for?

A quality for doing foolish things jsut for the hell of it? If any game really needs that it’s Echo Bazaar…[/quote]

After months of work I finally got my Death by Water up to 7 and then went and made sure I had some Unaccountably Peckish. Fully in favor of this stat.

[quote=Jon Brehaut]I was idly working in my study this afternoon counting up all my conciderable assets (all the while avoiding the tendrils of my greedy singular plant) when it suddently struck me: Wouldn’t it be handy if there was an Inventory display to show the total value of all my possessions?

Further, wouldn’t it be great if I could show this off on my mantlepiece for bragging rights? Surely it would be a wonderful way of showing off my importance?

What does everyone else think, do you think it would be worth petitioning for this?
edited by Jon Brehaut on 2/10/2012[/quote]

Well, sure you can petition: there’s a whole Feedback section at FBG where you can post your suggestions, and if they receive enough votes they are pondered by the staff (you can access it via the tab in the Echo Bazaar page, or just follow this link: http://feedback.echobazaar.failbettergames.com/forums/25389-suggestions). But personally I don’t like very much measuring a character’s total worth in Echoes; the very emphasis on barter of most of Echo Bazaar transactions seem to suggest that in the Neath there’s no thing like absolute value, and almost everything can be more or less valuable depending on circumstances (so the commercial scrap you’ve been selling in tons to buy a piece of equipment may later show valuable when you realize you suddenly need a large quantity of it and rebuying it from the Bazaar would be MUCH more costly XD). Also, the scrapbook and mantlepiece already allow bragging rights just displaying anything particularly rare or difficult to obtain you managed to get.

A quality to measure the tendency to dabble in unhealthy activities? I think it should be called “I told you”, NECESSARILY imagined read with the voice of Michael Caine from Batman - The Dark Knight XD