Patch Notes

I agree to some degree, but on the other hand we live in an era where irony is commonly used for plausible deniability and dogwhistling. As such, I don’t mind them replacing the sarcastic praise of putting pillaged artifacts in museums with something a bit more blunt.

I liked the old description and I think the word “outlandish” is the only thing that was potentially problematic, but Failbetter can make their own decisions about tone.

I also thought the old description was fine, we knew it was an obvious joke and not to be taken seriously, and I like some ironic joke. But I more or less agree with PJ, no longer calling them &quotoutlandish&quot goes a long way. Also I love that the new description can also work as a funny callout for the playerbase and their hoard.

Whoops.

edited by silurica on 1/26/2020

Now if only we could have a new category called “Faction” for items used for Favours → Renown/Connected conversion, put equippable items on a separate page from the rest of the inventory, get rid of the dropdown for changing outfits and just have a list of outfits to click on, add 1 more outfit called “Impressive” or something (meant for maxing BDR), and make it so the clickable list of item categories and the search box are available before I scroll down past my clothes and make it redundant to have a no-scroll option, anyway?

‘Outlandish’ is a cooler word and I did like the swipe at Indiana Jones, worst archaeologist of all time, but the new description is funny in a dark kind of way. And even more accurate.
edited by The Elfin Cannibal on 1/26/2020

The feedback thread is over here.

I’m a non-white person from a post-British-colonial country and while I’m of the opinion that in real life, colonialism was horrible and that a lot of stolen stuff sitting in European museums should be returned to their countries of origin, and that a lot of fantasy fiction and historical fiction by Western authors treats this issue far too lightly and disrespectfully, and I get that the Failbetter people are trying to do the right thing… I also think changing the name of this item was kind of a waste of time.

I think the ideal change would have been to change the casually dismissive hovertext to the new version, which i agree is better, but not the name of the item.

For me, the original name of &quotoutlandish&quot allowed it to exist in the fantasy bubble of FL because nobody actually uses that word any more; changing it to &quotunprovenanced&quot actually dragged in the real life issue of GIVE US OUR STUFF BACK DAMNIT in a disturbing way. The colonialists brainwashed us into thinking that Britain and especially England was some super cool awesome place. As a full grown adult I know that’s not the case. But let me have my fantasy version of England, please.

[quote=Lashkar]I’m a non-white person from a post-British-colonial country and while I’m of the opinion that in real life, colonialism was horrible and that a lot of stolen stuff sitting in European museums should be returned to their countries of origin, and that a lot of fantasy fiction and historical fiction by Western authors treats this issue far too lightly and disrespectfully, and I get that the Failbetter people are trying to do the right thing… I also think changing the name of this item was kind of a waste of time.

I think the ideal change would have been to change the casually dismissive hovertext to the new version, which i agree is better, but not the name of the item.

For me, the original name of &quotoutlandish&quot allowed it to exist in the fantasy bubble of FL because nobody actually uses that word any more; changing it to &quotunprovenanced&quot actually dragged in the real life issue of GIVE US OUR STUFF BACK DAMNIT in a disturbing way. The colonialists brainwashed us into thinking that Britain and especially England was some super cool awesome place. As a full grown adult I know that’s not the case. But let me have my fantasy version of England, please.[/quote]

speaking from a colonised country of the British (Ireland so I appreciate quite a different overall experience) I have to kind of agree with you, on some levels but I think its essential for our entertainment to challenge the way we think and try to get people to act on that.

Coming also from a ex-colony(Cuba) I am inclined to give some leeway to Failbetter. Agreed,perhaps the change was not neccesary, or indeed sensible, but, it would seem the intentions are noble. While I certainly do hope that Such spirit does not overcome the entirety of Fallen London, Such aesthetic changes, when they do not clash with the overall tone of the setting, are advisable

I’m a white American (albeit Jewish), so I probably shouldn’t really be saying anything here, but I feel like if you want a game that escapes the crimes of the British Empire, Fallen London isn’t one of those. While there isn’t homophobia, sexism, and a different kind of racism*, Fallen London still feels like Victorian England. The Port Carnelian is specifically modeled on colonial Singapore, and if you side with the Tigers in Sunless Seas, you’re said to be supporting the “aboriginal’s peoples claim.” The Neddy Men and the Battle of Wolfstack Docks is basically how many early labor strikes went down. I could go on, but basically almost every inequality from our world is depicted in some way. No one is really the good guy, per se. In my mind, they’re just being consistent by more directly acknowledging the Victorian era “archaeology” that has always been implied to exist.

*We see many dark skinned people in positions of power, like the Dark Speckled Admiral, and no one comments on that. But London doesn’t like Khangians or Presbyteratians, so I guess it’s more like xenophobia.

I felt the change in the text was misplaced for an entirely different reason: it is out of step with every other description in the game.
The other ironic descrptions are an insight into the head of a Londoner encountering the items. This is why they are delicious; you get the implication a second too late.
This description is heavy-handed, too modern and instead of subtly horrifying you, tells you how you should feel. Plus it seems to come from a different narrator than every other item.
I appreciate the sentiment and the changes, but shouldn’t they stay in the FL style?

[color=#0066ff]Some new bits today folks.[/color]

[quote=Hannah Flynn]

[color=#0066ff]- We have removed the &quotEstablish a Parabolan Base Camp&quot option from the Honey Dens of Veilgarden. This branch was meant to tease future content, and has always been locked. Since it was written, however, our intentions for it have changed. The ability to establish a Parabolan Base Camp will finally unlock soon, but in a different form. It will not be exclusive to those with the Glassman profession (though they will have an easier time achieving it).[/color][/quote]May I ask what was the highest level of Is Someone There dream quality? Really curious how &quotobtainable&quot were the requirements and compare them with my math.

In other news, thanks for the Friday update and have a great weekend!

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]
[/color]

[color=#0066ff]- Players with access to the Science Lab may now move their entire Voluminous Library to the Lab for research purposes. Doing so will remove the related card from their opportunity deck.[/color][/quote]
what is the science lab?

[quote=the old man][quote=Hannah Flynn]
[color=#0066ff]- Players with access to the Science Lab may now move their entire Voluminous Library to the Lab for research purposes. Doing so will remove the related card from their opportunity deck.[/color][/quote]
what is the science lab?[/quote]Was introduced in the latest ambition update, but it will be available for everyone regardless.

[quote=Skinnyman]
Was introduced in the latest ambition update, but it will be available for everyone regardless.[/quote]
if I may inquire how we common folk are meant to get it or is that still unrevealed

[quote=the old man][quote=Skinnyman]
Was introduced in the latest ambition update, but it will be available for everyone regardless.[/quote]
if I may inquire how we common folk are meant to get it or is that still unrevealed[/quote]

And am I the only one wondering what ambition? (Yes, my memory is more faulty than the old man’s.)

[quote=Snort][quote=the old man][quote=Skinnyman]
if I may inquire how we common folk are meant to get it or is that still unrevealed[/quote]

And am I the only one wondering what ambition? (Yes, my memory is more faulty than the old man’s.)[/quote]
Bag a Legend

[quote=the old man][quote=Skinnyman]

if I may inquire how we common folk are meant to get it or is that still unrevealed[/quote]Only this from a few days ago

[quote=Emily Short on Discord]neither the Lab nor the Base-Camp will be exclusive to an Ambition[/quote]Don’t know if any/both will require certain steps of an Ambition of be available otherwise.

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]- Players with access to the Science Lab may now move their entire Voluminous Library to the Lab for research purposes. Doing so will remove the related card from their opportunity deck.[/color][/quote]Well, besides my question from above, I just realized this!
It’s about the home item that adds that pesky card.
Even if I avoided the library, this is amazing news! Uhuuuuuu! :D :D :D