Paramount Presence Changes

The unique title is beautiful, by the way.

Hmm…

I am one step from Paramount Presence because I’ve been going for eligibility in all 12 options. So far I’ve chosen London’s Blood by dreams, London’s Marrow by law and crime, and London’s Nerves via the Correspondence though I qualified for all.

Still yet to acquire London’s Sinew as I only have the option to release the Night. Which I might go for anyway, but it would spoil my (admittedly just for vanity) strategy not to have the other choices. I’ll still need ~30 more influence and ~40 more bloody ribbons though…

So I guess I’m going to be making friends - and possibly killing them - over the next few weeks!

If anyone is interested in either (or both) of those things please drop me a line, I would be most pleased to make your acquaintance :)

I never really got all the fuss about the Notability grind. Sure, it takes a while, but it’s very simple to do. For the most part I just converted enormous amounts of tier 3 resources around the carousel, while attending parties, helping out the singer, etc.

I mean, is it an especially fun part of the game? No, definitely not. It’s a grind. But I don’t feel like it’s particularly more objectionable than any of the other grinds in the game, of which there are many, first and foremost of course being the echo grind.
edited by Tsar Koschei on 4/19/2020

Hm, I’ve been procrastinating when it comes to starting the PP grind, but it seems the time to act has arrived. I mean, surely it is entirely doable in four weeks, right…?
edited by Desirée on 4/19/2020

Well. I guess I have to make some acquaintances fast now.

If anyone is also going for the influence requirement and would like a mutually beneficial arrangement for that, send me a calling card.

I mean, I don’t know how far along you are regarding the overcapping and London’s X qualities, but unless the answer is &quotpretty far&quot then I’m going to have to say not a chance.

I just have Sinew left as well, so if anyone wants to trade calling cards… I’m also up for friendly duels to the death as well.

[quote=NotaWalrus]Well. I guess I have to make some acquaintances fast now.

If anyone is also going for the influence requirement and would like a mutually beneficial arrangement for that, send me a calling card.[/quote]

Tip: For Influence requirement, you can also arrange a patronage relationship, which gives 7 x Influence at once. The only prerequisite for patronage is both parties are acquainted to each other and agreed to the arrangement, everything else doesn’t matter.

I ground for a month for all my six characters to get to Paramout Presence - but I needed five years to prepare the resources for this. And of course six characters.

So yes, this would be a much-appreciated change.
edited by Rostygold on 4/20/2020

[quote=Tsar Koschei]I never really got all the fuss about the Notability grind. Sure, it takes a while, but it’s very simple to do. For the most part I just converted enormous amounts of tier 3 resources around the carousel, while attending parties, helping out the singer, etc.

I mean, is it an especially fun part of the game? No, definitely not. It’s a grind. But I don’t feel like it’s particularly more objectionable than any of the other grinds in the game, of which there are many, first and foremost of course being the echo grind.[/quote]

I agree that the Notability grind is tolerable, but there are reasons it stands out from other grinds.

First is the time pressure. Other grinds allow you to take time off, whether to play other stories or participate in seasonal events, to grind something else or even just take a break from the game. Notability is much less lenient. Not only does playing other content risk loss of progress, but even actively grinding can turn into time wasted if you’re too slow and hit TtH. Some people also like maintaining Notability for its own sake, where a short distraction requires significant effort to fix.

Second is the highly variable difficulty. This matters less for Paramount Presence and more for content that’s supposed to be accessible to everyone, but it tends to be memorable as a result. (Especially with two years of Notability grinds for Hallowmas.) But even for an endgame achievement, spending Fate on a few points of BDR still makes the grind exponentially easier.

Finally, Notability is more relevant story-wise than money. High-level professions, PoSI specializations, and Paramount Presence are all significant accomplishments reasonably interpreted as character milestones. Echo grinds give mechanical benefits, but how many players consider equipment bonuses relevant to their character’s story? How many more players pursue Paramount Presence than Cider or the Heptagoat?
edited by Optimatum on 4/20/2020

[quote=Tsar Koschei]I never really got all the fuss about the Notability grind. Sure, it takes a while, but it’s very simple to do. For the most part I just converted enormous amounts of tier 3 resources around the carousel, while attending parties, helping out the singer, etc.

I mean, is it an especially fun part of the game? No, definitely not. It’s a grind. But I don’t feel like it’s particularly more objectionable than any of the other grinds in the game, of which there are many, first and foremost of course being the echo grind.
edited by Tsar Koschei on 4/19/2020[/quote]

It’s time-sensitive - that’s the kicker. Time the Healer halves your MW and this means resources and actions might go to waste if someone is late to respond to your social actions - or a card refuses to come up. It’s not just patience, its timing and luck over and over again. Additionally, Failbetter overused it even when it didn’t make sense (see Hallowmass) and so it became a dreaded headache.
For God’s sake, my character got married just to have the +2 dreaded. That’s how miserable this grind is.

I used marriage-divorce scheme to achieve PP.
It was comfortable, profitable, not depended on RNG and even helped with renown grind. Its also not roleplay frieldy, but i dont care.
edited by Waterpls on 4/20/2020

I know which options I want to pick, but I’m nowhere near actually getting any of them except the spouse and even then I’m not at 200 in the right stat yet. Hopefully I can get the same general traits.

[quote=Tsar Koschei]
I mean, I don’t know how far along you are regarding the overcapping and London’s X qualities, but unless the answer is &quotpretty far&quot then I’m going to have to say not a chance.[/quote]

I have all the qualities needed for the London’s parts, but none of my stats are overcapped. So it is pretty much just nota grind. I am pretty sure I won’t make it, but I am going to try nevertheless!

I don’t know about that, I’ve been on N15 ever since I finished my final grind up to it and I haven’t had to purposefully generate any waves since then. It basically maintains itself with the waves I get by doing other things.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]It’s time-sensitive - that’s the kicker. Time the Healer halves your MW and this means resources and actions might go to waste if someone is late to respond to your social actions - or a card refuses to come up. It’s not just patience, its timing and luck over and over again[/quote]I really never felt this. You just had to plan for the timing. Luck wasn’t really a factor since you can just go by the action counts and expected results. Securing your N raise for the week should never hinge on getting replies to one or two social calls or some particular card, since when needed you can just bash out the waves by doing the tier 3 conversions or other readily available MW actions.

I have a question in preparation for the upcoming change…

I became a PP a while ago, but like many of us, my stats have slightly eroded from the 215/ overcap. Should I be resetting my stats with 15 notability just prior to the change or should I save that notability for other uses after the change?

It takes a lot to get notability to 15 so I’d like to have some understanding here before I use it (or not).

J-

[quote=Jason5237]I have a question in preparation for the upcoming change…

I became a PP a while ago, but like many of us, my stats have slightly eroded from the 215/ overcap. Should I be resetting my stats with 15 notability just prior to the change or should I save that notability for other uses after the change?

It takes a lot to get notability to 15 so I’d like to have some understanding here before I use it (or not).

J-[/quote]

We don’t know what will be used to overcap later so it is difficult to say.

Thank god this is changing. This grind always was what drove me away from the game for ages at a time. I just couldn’t stand the boredom and lack of a visible goal.
So what if I don’t get this newfangled title? So long as it doesn’t unlock some grand and mysterious content, I’ll be perfectly OK.
Cause, you know, when I grind up, I’ll be able to have fun.

Glad to hear. I’ve been trying to break 12 notability for 6 months (because I do other things & then get annoyed & stop trying & repeat that cycle).

So, hopefully the new way won’t drive me up the wall like this one. My first character had it, but she needed the name & so… no one knows her now.

Soooooo … I might make it by the end of May. All I need do is make a LOT of acquaintances and do London’s Sinew, recap my Watchful, and do London’s Nerves by the end of May. The last bit will be dicey, but it’s something to strive for.

So I’ll be firing off calling cards in all directions while grinding. If any of you are amenable, I would dearly love to send one to you. :)
edited by Snort on 4/26/2020