Paralyzed by indecision - what do I do next?

A while back, I reached PoSI status, and for a while afterwards, my time was easy to sort. I needed to fill in the new slots in my profile - and I did. I needed a proper, four-card lodging - and I got one, then another. I needed to accumulate some Notability to access my second-tier Profession - and I have. Getting close to the third-tier, too. Then I took the time out to finish the University-storyline, reach the Cave of the Nadir, and unlock the last few locations - Wilmot’s End, Labyrinth of Tigers and Mahogany Hall. I also joined the Velocipede Squad and began to look into their unsavory background - mostly to get access to the best Transport - and helped a certain glim-merchant recover his Squeezebox, picking up the key to Fluke Street in the process.

Now, however, I find myself stuck at a rather overwhelming set of crossroads. There is such a huge number of things I could do, places I could go, that I can’t decide which to pursue next. Essentially, my ‘To-Do’ list has grown so long, I can’t keep track of it or apply any kind of prioritization.

I’ve barely scratched the surface of the Labyrinth - only went far enough to meet the Tiger-Keeper and get the rats I needed to unlock it permanently. I haven’t even VISITED Mahogany Hall since unlocking it.
I could go on a Scientific Expedition - that option popped up after I was done at the university.
I could try to reach Fluke Street, and find out what’s what down there.
I could work on finishing off the Velocipede Squad’s storyline.
I’ve still got unfinished business at the Imperial Court - people to seduce, plays to put on, and eventually getting kicked out of there, which I hear is actually worthwhile these days.
I’ve got a ship that I haven’t used yet - I could go sailing, towards… whatever purpose sailing might have, I suppose?
I’ve got half of a Screaming Map. I could hunt down the other half, and visit Polythreme.
Or I could visit the Iron Republic - I’ve got a Safe Conduct I’ve never used.
My ship is just the default steamer, though… I could put some work into at least acquiring a Zubmarine, for the extra point of Bizarre and the general appeal.
I could also pursue my Ambition (Nemesis), which I’ve let fall by the wayside for a while… but at the moment, that merely seems to call for an annoying amount of grinding Drops of Prisoner’s Honey. The way the story’s going, though, it’ll presumably take me to the Iron Republic at some point, which IS another point on the list…

In all of this, the only guiding principles I’ve got is that I’m currently trying to raise my Dangerous towards a specific purpose (which would suggest that I go with the Labyrinth of Tigers, or the Velocipede Squad, I guess?) and that I’d like to start making some serious Echoes so that I can begin to upgrade my basic equipment to the expensive, 400-echo options. That would point me towards Mahogany Hall, I hear.

So, I’m hoping someone can give me some suggestions about what to go for first, and what to save for later. Maybe some of these options aren’t really practical at my current level anyway - I’m on the 100-ish unmodified for all stats at the moment. Or maybe some of them are more useful than they appear. Either way, please, enlighten me - for at the moment, I’m merely turning around on my heels, blinded by all my options…

Whenever I don’t know what to do, I follow my Ambition. I’m also on Nemesis, and it involves travelling to at least two different locations at Sea. I’m at the content limit for it now, but that worked for me for a good long while.
Pursuing the Jack of Smiles case is another long-running quest that will eventually require you to go out to sea, and I’d say the reward is quite worthwhile (unlike Ambitions, which still don’t pay out yet.)

Before you set out to Zee or head into Flute Street you’ll want to get into the Fourth Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers. You’ll also want to get started with the preliminary research step of the Voyage of Scientific Discovery before heading out towards Polythreme, since there’s an island right by there. Visiting the Iron Republic can wait until your Ambition is caught up, and you’ll want to make a couple Portfolios of Souls to take there. You’ll see when you get there.

Mahogany Hall is a good place to train your Persuasive, and is a great source of Glim. You may want to check the place out a bit before putting together the Screaming Map if you’re low on Cartography items. Wrapping things up in the Empress’ Court can wait until you’ve gotten the Notability you need for the next tier of Professions (Life of the Mind is a good source of Making Waves), and Port Carnelian has some high stat challenges so there’s definitely no rush to get out there right now.

Additional hints include leveling your Watchful and Dangerous before tackling the Voyage of Scientific Discovery and Polytheme, and being careful with the Velocipede Squad until you’re done with the Jack-of-Smiles case.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 6/10/2015

Just make sure you finish some stories before heading overzee:

Polythreme [Jack Off / Off Jack, Screaming Map, Also get a Battered Grey Overcoat and a Exceptional Hat]
Flute Street [Get to Coil 4 and talk to the Bishop first]
Iron Republic [Finish Nemesis in London, Get a Portfolio of Soul, Stone-tentacle Key from Hunter’s Keep]

I recommend putting Court -> Foreign Office -> Port Carnelian last, because the payoff is at the Carnelian Coast and that is too hard without capped Persuasive, and Making Waves at the Court is really superior to other MW options. It also has the best source of Connected: Society.

Hmm… well, this is definitely helpful for putting my priorities in order. I do have a question about this, though…

I haven’t even started the Jack-of-Smiles case yet… and I’m on level 3 or so of ‘Spinning the Wheels’, mostly due to Opportunity-cards related to it popping up now and then, and having a hard time ignoring them. It’s also been a good source of Dangerous-practice that doesn’t inflict Wounds on failure (via that ‘dealing with a hard-case’ option). How far can I go with the Velocipede-squad story before it becomes problematic for the Jack-of-Smiles case? Or is it just a matter of picking the right option at the end to avoid a conflict?

I suggest being careful because the Fate-locked story can close off your access to the cycle. You’re fine right up until the very end, and maybe even after that depending on the sort of character you’re playing. The Velocipede Squad provides a storylet source to progress in the case, but you can still pursue it without the squad. It’ll just be reliant on opportunity cards.

Edit: The wiki is failing me in finding a way to start the Jack-of-Smiles case when you aren’t still On the Squad, but I don’t think it would render the story inaccessible entirely.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 6/10/2015

my piority is something like this :

Ambition > Grind stats or resources for ambition > Explore new areas or storylets, depending on which of my stats are higher > Grind good echo/action stuff just because.

I’m pretty sure you can start it from the House of Chimes, even if you aren’t on the Velocipede-squad… so I’m not worried about that, at least. But I guess I really DO need to put on the brakes (heh) until I get that case handled. I certainly wouldn’t want to risk missing it…

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Before you set out to Zee or head into Flute Street you’ll want to get into the Fourth Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers. You’ll also want to get started with the preliminary research step of the Voyage of Scientific Discovery before heading out towards Polythreme, since there’s an island right by there. Visiting the Iron Republic can wait until your Ambition is caught up, and you’ll want to make a Portfolio of Souls to take there. You’ll see when you get there.

Mahogany Hall is a good place to train your Persuasive, and is a great source of Glim. You may want to check the place out a bit before putting together the Screaming Map if you’re low on Cartography items. Wrapping things up in the Empress’ Court can wait until you’ve gotten the Notability you need for the next tier of Professions (Life of the Mind is a good source of Making Waves), and Port Carnelian has some high stat challenges so there’s definitely no rush to get out there right now.

Additional hints include leveling your Watchful and Dangerous before tackling the Voyage of Scientific Discovery and Polytheme, and being careful with the Velocipede Squad until you’re done with the Jack-of-Smiles case.[/quote]

Very much this. Though I think it’s actually two Portfolios of Souls you need to bring to the Iron Republic, as well as a certain key from another island.

You’re right, it’s 2 Portfolios of Souls. Back when I did it the option required 5. The game does tell you about the key, at least.