Pages Legacy: Bad Idea?

Am I missing something or is taking the Pages Legacy which retains your chart a really bad idea? It seems like a way to gimp your new character because you can’t gain fragments by exploring, which is where most of your fragments come from. Shouldn’t you still be able to gain these fragments by visiting locations for the first time even if they are already on your chart?

Otherwise it seems like you would never, ever want to take this legacy.

I think the reason to take it is that otherwise the map re-randomises? So if you had a really good map that had things in useful places in relation to each other, you might want to keep it. But you’re right about the fragments thing. Maybe you should still get fragments once you get to see a place in person and know it better than a few lines on the map.

It has its niche, but it’s a fairly small niche. For instance, a captain who died before exploring much, but did manage to discover one particularly desirable (interesting/lucrative/helpful) island near London. Or a new player who’s yet to learn what the possible islands even are.

Fragments are awarded for discovery, not visiting. And I presume that inheriting a captain’s charts includes any notes that captain may have scribbled in the margins about the various sights and sounds, the nooks and crannies, the “little secrets” of the place.

It’s worth taking once for the achieve, too.

Bear in mind that unless a stat is above 52 you won’t get more than the starting 25. Pages is notoriously difficult to raise so if you have high enough pages and a really good map it might be worth it.

It is a bad idea for the lost fragment source you rightly mentioned and for the fact that the most beneficial background is Poet which gives you a starting pages bonus.

if the islands are explored because you take the same map as a legacy, are the quest lines / interactions done too?

No. The only downside to taking the map is that you won’t gain any fragments for discovering the places already marked on your map

[quote=Fretling]It has its niche, but it’s a fairly small niche. For instance, a captain who died before exploring much, but did manage to discover one particularly desirable (interesting/lucrative/helpful) island near London. Or a new player who’s yet to learn what the possible islands even are.

[/quote]

Except the map isn’t really that random and there’s not realyl one specific thing early on that’s vastly more desireable than the others. (the avid horizon maybe? but still)

Plus if you don’t know the game yet you’re probably better off re-randomizing the map to force you to break out of your existing patterns so you can learn more.

And later on you can start with 75 pages without the legacy, so.

I mean it’s not entirely without merit but i think a new player would be better off avoiding it.

I’m not personally a fan of Correspondent, but other than the coasts, yeah, it’s pretty random to a new player who hasn’t even made it more than a tile east of Mutton Island or whatnot. At worst, it’s no worse than randomizing.

Starting at 75 Pages without the legacy is obvious not within the reach of a new player. Then they would, by definition, not be a new player.
edited by Fretling on 2/13/2015

[quote=AgentTBC]Am I missing something or is taking the Pages Legacy which retains your chart a really bad idea? It seems like a way to gimp your new character because you can’t gain fragments by exploring, which is where most of your fragments come from. Shouldn’t you still be able to gain these fragments by visiting locations for the first time even if they are already on your chart?

Otherwise it seems like you would never, ever want to take this legacy.[/quote]

This has been an issue since the early days and while I’m still not sure they’ve got it quite right, the ability to grind fragments and buy secrets has significantly reduced the negative aspects of the pages legacy. Being able to keep a particularly good map from randomizing when you begin a new captain can be worth the fragments you lose from not being able to explore as much. Also, the pages stat reduced how many fragments you need to gain secrets.

I agree it is still frustrating, though – back in Early Access I grinded pages first, hoping I could pass on the high pages stat to a future captain who would be able to build stats easier – I retired the captain less than two days after they changed to the new legacy system, which seems to keep you from being able to grind pages.

Now that secrets are literally for sale in Irem, perhaps the pages stat doesn’t need to be so strictly balanced anymore.

Maybe ambitious captains can go back to grinding pages again. :D