Overflowing with Appalling Secrets

I’ve built up a sizable cache of Appareling Secrets, but I can’t decide whether the Sister Trio would be better ears or if I should consult the Cat of the Duchess. I do not require a bulk of Tales of Terror nor one of Journals of Infamy, nor the items they produce. Would it be wiser to save my secrets or is there a superior exchange path? Or would I likely desire to turn them into Extraordinary Implications, and as such ought to wait until I gain enough University connections in either Benthic or Summerset to know which path will be open for me?

One thing you could do is exchange the secrets for either of the next tier, and then trade them over to other tier three items to get what you need for your current goals. Check out http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/item-conversions, and see if there is anything in the third column of the lower graph that you need, or that you could turn into something else that you might need. Those are the two best conversion rates that I know of though, except for a few cards or one time story steps.

Depending on what you’ve done already, this could be a good way to work towards a tier 3 home, or towards some PoSI items.
edited by Myke Harryson on 4/14/2012

[quote=Myke Harryson]One thing you could do is exchange the secrets for either of the next tier, and then trade them over to other tier three items to get what you need for your current goals. Check out http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/item-conversions, and see if there is anything in the third column of the lower graph that you need, or that you could turn into something else that you might need. Those are the two best conversion rates that I know of though, except for a few cards or one time story steps.

Depending on what you’ve done already, this could be a good way to work towards a tier 3 home, or towards some PoSI items.
edited by Myke Harryson on 4/14/2012[/quote]
Unfortunately I’m in no position to begin work towards becoming a PoSI, and haven’t seen hide nor tail of third tier home cards. My watchful is my highest stat, about 70, with Dangerous and Persuasive in the mid fourties, and shadowy trailing behind below 30. I don’t have any current need for any of the half an echo or more items, so I’m considering just saving the secrets for when I do need them.

Tales of Terror will also unlock the Fidgeting Writer story, if you feel like gambling. Or you could wait until you’re really overflowing and take both options!

Well, you only need one for that story. I spent some actions there and got quite lucky (I’m up to where I can trade for a brass ring). I’m planning to leave that be for now, as my watchful isn’t high enough to risk it again, and I don’t know if I’d want a brass ring.

When you get your Persuasive up to 70, you’ll have an opportunity to lease premises at the Bazaar. This costs so many Whispered Secrets it takes forever to take advantage of the opportunity. Unless you happen to have about 800 Appalling Secrets to trade in at Ladybones for some Whispered Secrets. By then you’ll probably be in a position to get a really good exchange rate. [edit: 800 not 8,000 I think.]
edited by Genny on 4/15/2012

That’s not a good plan, if it costs an action for each 100 secrets.

If you don’t need the things you’ll be trading them for, why do it? You’ll need those Appalling Secrets (“Appareling Secrets” are what you’ll find in Polythreme :)) to build certain items in The Bazaar Side Streets later in the game, and what you currently consider to be a sizable cache probably won’t be near enough.

That’s not a good plan, if it costs an action for each 100 secrets.[/quote]
Clearly I am playing the game wrong ;) At that juncture, I happened to have nothing better to do.

If you don’t need the things you’ll be trading them for, why do it? You’ll need those Appalling Secrets (“Appareling Secrets” are what you’ll find in Polythreme :)) to build certain items in The Bazaar Side Streets later in the game, and what you currently consider to be a sizable cache probably won’t be near enough.[/quote]
By Sizable Cache I meant enough to do the bulk conversion. That’s what, 16 echoes just of Appalling Secrets? Nothing to snub your nose at, especially for a PoLI

Usually, a sound strategy is to keep most everything that can be converted in something else in the cache until you need it; even if you’ve got no use for it, they could be useful in the future (new content is being releasd constantly, after all); and just sell the non-convertable items (say, Rostygold, Nevercold Brass and the like), but even those only after you’ve build up a sizeable stash, only to sell out the surplus. Heck, if I don’t need te money, I don’t selll the surplus either! (I’ve currently got 10.000 Rostygold and I keep it there just because I don’t need it for anything else as of noe; it is my personal reserve should I have an unexpected expense).

That’s not a good plan, if it costs an action for each 100 secrets.[/quote]
Clearly I am playing the game wrong ;) At that juncture, I happened to have nothing better to do.[/quote]

Gathering Jade in Mahogany Hall and trading it for Whispered Secrets at the Labyrinth of Tigers is a better per-action rate (I think) and doesn’t cost you anything.

[quote=Cheeseyx]
By Sizable Cache I meant enough to do the bulk conversion. That’s what, 16 echoes just of Appalling Secrets? Nothing to snub your nose at, especially for a PoLI[/quote]
You have only have 107 Appalling Secrets and you are not only already looking to convert them, but consider that to be an overabundant amount? I snub my nose, indeed!

Seriously, do not, I repeat, DO NOT convert your secrets at this stage of the game! You are going to want them and want them badly just a few levels and they will have no end of uses from where you are now until where you will want to be.
More importantly, don’t waste the action trying to convert them. At lower stages of the game there is so much cool stuff to do I don’t know why you’d want to waste your time converting items.
I reiterate what others have said: Keep those secrets in the cupboard and only use them when you need them, else you’ll miss them when they’re gone.

Mind your decorum, dear friend. It is not polite to taunt the lower classes.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet][quote=Cheeseyx]
By Sizable Cache I meant enough to do the bulk conversion. That’s what, 16 echoes just of Appalling Secrets? Nothing to snub your nose at, especially for a PoLI[/quote]
You have only have 107 Appalling Secrets and you are not only already looking to convert them, but consider that to be an overabundant amount? I snub my nose, indeed!

Seriously, do not, I repeat, DO NOT convert your secrets at this stage of the game! You are going to want them and want them badly just a few levels and they will have no end of uses from where you are now until where you will want to be.
More importantly, don’t waste the action trying to convert them. At lower stages of the game there is so much cool stuff to do I don’t know why you’d want to waste your time converting items.
I reiterate what others have said: Keep those secrets in the cupboard and only use them when you need them, else you’ll miss them when they’re gone.[/quote]
You seem rather unfamiliar with conversions for one apparently of such a higher status than I. It takes a total of three hundred and thirty three secrets of the appalling variety to make a conversion with the three sisters or the cat of the duchess, and I have three hundred and fifty one. Considering I am not yet a PoSI, that is quite the sum.

[quote=Cheeseyx]
You seem rather unfamiliar with conversions for one apparently of such a higher status than I. It takes a total of three hundred and thirty three secrets of the appalling variety to make a conversion with the three sisters or the cat of the duchess, and I have three hundred and fifty one. Considering I am not yet a PoSI, that is quite the sum.[/quote]
You said you had 16 Echoes of Appalling Secrets. At 15 pence per Secret, that’s 107. If you have 333, then that’s just shy of 50 Echoes worth of Appalling Secrets. Either are fine, I suppose, but still not worth converting just for the sake of converting.

But if all you want to do is convert things for no other reason than you are able to convert them, then it really doesn’t matter which one you pick. You’ll need plenty of all three later.

[color=rgb(51, 0, 153)]Let’s keep being courteous to each other please :)[/color]

I hasten to add that, in any case, the proper term of address is “Person of some little consequence.” Or POSLC, if you must attempt the acronym.
Certain of my sources among the Bazaar [link] suggest that one should immediately convert anything they have a surplus of. I add a single qualification to this, that being whispered secrets, which I am informed will be necessary for certain things when you are a POSI. (For example, purchasing premises at the Bazaar.)
edited by wergeldt on 4/16/2012

Whispered secrets have actually lost a lot of their use. The premises at the bazaar can now be purchased cheaper by using higher quality items. Whispered secrets are also the only item where you lose out on value by converting them into higher tier items (As far as item tiers go, cryptic clues are on par with the first tier of all the other categories, putting whispered secrets into a … -1 tier I guess?)

On the mater of conversions - is Greyfields 1879 disappearing from the economy? Some storylets that granted it give other wines now, and it isn’t convertable into other Wines despite being included in the category.