Our next game will be announced on Sat!

It’s happening :D
Oooh, so the new game is ‘Sunless Skies’. With the Kickstarter starting in February. So esxcited :D
edited by Akernis on 9/24/2016

Here’s a link for official confirmation:

Seven facts about Sunless Skies. Here is the most important one:
“5. Why the name? The stars are dying. The stars are the Judgements: the inventors, arbiters and enforcers of the universe’s laws – but a revolution has begun, and the stars are being murdered.”

I always knew we could do it, gang. The Liberation is here.

You crazy kids pulled it off.

We have encountered a truly rare sight today - the Discoloured Gardiner! REJOICE!

Don’t scream! You’ll startle it!

Liberation is new canon? Ha-ha. What a time to be alive.

This seems…different from the Liberation. Honestly this sounds like something more than just the Revolutionaries are behind. Maybe.

Which makes me wonder if this means some drastically new FL stuff. Like if Sunless Skies is canon to FL or a sort of What If? There are many questions, and a patient excitement for this game.

I’m just viewing this as a possible future, much like the destinies are possible futures.

[quote=Parabuteo]http://www.failbettergames.com/7-facts-about-our-next-game/
Seven facts about Sunless Skies. Here is the most important one:
&quot5. Why the name? The stars are dying. The stars are the Judgements: the inventors, arbiters and enforcers of the universe’s laws – but a revolution has begun, and the stars are being murdered.&quot

I always knew we could do it, gang. The Liberation is here.[/quote]

Oh my, this is going to be fun. I’m ready to sell a kidney to fund the Kickstarter.

Uh… and my excitement just got tainted with trepidation. The Liberation of Night was always my least favourite story-line of Fallen London. And if this is the very premise for Sunless Skies it seems that no matter what we do the Liberation is destined to succeed, rendering pretty much all non-LoN destinies moot, some of which were perhaps my very favourite part of Fallen London’s lore and my character’s motivations :(

I hate being pessimistic, but I really don’t want to see the world I have so grown to love and care for be arbitrarily destroyed by a few revolutionaries afraid of some sunlight, with any attempt to stop that event doomed by canon to failure.

Edit: Pretty much agreed with what Robin said.

Yeah, it’s probably best to keep an open mind and give the FBG team the benefit of the doubt.
Finger’s crossed and hope for the best :)

Wasn’t sunless sea a sort of au for fallen london? Because if so then this one would be too.

I was under the impression that Sunless Sea was canon to FL: the Dawn Machine, Frostfound, that port to the surface, etc are all still in FL. It’s just nothing is really based around anything that would put Sunless sea in conflict with FL. Yet. Zubmariner may yet prove me wrong, but I doubt it. But Skies concept of the Empire in the High Wilderness departs significantly from FL unlike just zeeing what’s at zee
edited by Cthonius on 9/24/2016

This seems like a possible future rather than a definite one for things to me- kind of like the endings and supremacies in Sunless Sea. At least as far as Fallen London is concerned the liberation still looks stoppable.

Optimistic about this.

[quote=Akernis]Uh… and my excitement just got tainted with trepidation. The Liberation of Night was always my least favourite story-line of Fallen London. And if this is the very premise for Sunless Skies it seems that no matter what we do the Liberation is destined to succeed, rendering pretty much all non-LoN destinies moot, some of which were perhaps my very favourite part of Fallen London’s lore and my character’s motivations :(

I hate being pessimistic, but I really don’t want to see the world I have so grown to love and care for be arbitrarily destroyed by a few revolutionaries afraid of some sunlight, with any attempt to stop that event doomed by canon to failure.

Edit: Pretty much agreed with what Robin said.[/quote]
I read it as the liberation was successful in starting and getting some effect. This is both regrettably and fortunately not the same thing as a successful and complete liberation of the knight. In other words, it’s entirely plausible that we have a liberation in testing phase, just a later-game testing phase.

That said, this is clearly forwards in the Fallen London timeline, a jump ahead of the place our game is set in, and I’m pretty sure us humans are not the only ones who want the stars gone. [x^(2k)], for instance, would love to get rid of stars if they could. Hell’s obsession with souls may be to figure out how to destroy stars. I would not be surprised if other stars wanted to take them down.

Well, whatever direction this may take, I think the idea is pretty neat and has a lot of potential.

Think about it - travelling through and between the realms of the Stars, interacting with beings that defy human comprehension and maybe, even aid in the salvation or downfall of a Judgment (or Judgments)

Hm, delicious ideas and possibilities, no?

[quote=Grenem]I read it as the liberation was successful in starting and getting some effect. This is both regrettably and fortunately not the same thing as a successful and complete liberation of the knight. In other words, it’s entirely plausible that we have a liberation in testing phase, just a later-game testing phase.
[/quote]
That is, of course, also a possibility. My only problem with that is that in the Destinies of the LoN mention that cleansing the Neath of all light and destroying all civilization is a prelude, a test run, to going after the Judgments. Meaning that if the Judgement are now being murdered (and presuming that the LoN is to blame) then they must already have been through with the Neath and Earth.
Unless, of course, the LoN is diverging from the sequence of events shown in the destinies.

That is not to say I won’t have fun with the new game. I am sure I will devour it as whole-heartedly as I have FL and SS*. Afterall even if worst should come to pass, Fallen London itself is bound to continue to bring delightful and delicious adventures for years to come. And it won’t take much to headcanon that my by-then-hopefully-immortal FL character is scheming insidiously from somewhere in the background of Sunless Skies.

*By the way, what is our abbreviation for Sunless Skies? SS.2?
edited by Akernis on 9/24/2016

[quote=Akernis][quote=Grenem]I read it as the liberation was successful in starting and getting some effect. This is both regrettably and fortunately not the same thing as a successful and complete liberation of the knight. In other words, it’s entirely plausible that we have a liberation in testing phase, just a later-game testing phase.
[/quote]
That is, of course, also a possibility. My only problem with that is that in the Destinies of the LoN mention that cleansing the Neath of all light and destroying all civilization is a prelude, a test run, to going after the Judgments. Meaning that if the Judgement are now being murdered (and presuming that the LoN is to blame) then they must already have been through with the Neath and Earth.
Unless, of course, the LoN is diverging from the sequence of events shown in the destinies.

That is not to say I won’t have fun with the new game. I am sure I will devour it as whole-heatedly as I have FL and SS*. Afterall even if worst should come to pass, Fallen London itself is bound to continue to bring delightful and delicious adventures for years to come. And it won’t take much to headcanon that my by-then-hopefully-immortal FL character is scheming insidiously from somewhere in the background of Sunless Skies.

*By the way, what is our abbreviation for Sunless Skies? SS.2?
edited by Akernis on 9/24/2016[/quote]

I prefer using SS the S to refer to SS the S. :P

But the possible destiny retcon is pretty terrifying. My personal forecast is that it’s going to be like in SS the First, and you can make the final decision of whether the LoN succeeds or not a la Supremacy.

Count me as being very enthusiastic for Sunless Sky! Even with all we know of Judgment lore, we know relatively little of the politics of the High Wilderness. While I’m sure the Liberation Of The Night will play a role, there are sure to be a host of entities with their own reasons to commit staricide.