Opportunity Cards; Keep or Discard?

They’re so old they actually send tweets (not DMs). My roleplaying non-FL Twitter account serves nicely to receive these.

To answer OP, I discard &quotA serious offer&quot since there’s no way to progress the story without giving up my soul. I would enjoy a way to resolve the Intimate of Devils storyline once and for all, but my main is not budging on the soul issue. Something to do with the CVR, I think it was.

I love and always play any cards to do with my pets, whether or not they’re strictly action-efficient, except the Tournament of Weasels since that time I lost an Araby Fighting-Weasel through it.

I am happy to turn up the lodgings storylets because they (almost all) let me get scraps and they’ve got some new and fun Making Waves actions.

The City Vices cards are the ones I most often discard. I was delighted by the introduction of remote lodgings which will stop you drawing these. My main is too comfortable at hir Spire-Emporium to take advantage of this, but I greatly appreciate the remote feature on my alts.

I play any options that move up my Counting the Days.

Finally, I love menace-reduction cards and frequently hoard them against future… indiscretions.

My normal play style is to look through my available cards first, and then use the rest of my actions on whatever I’m working on at the moment.
edited by Suitov on 2/13/2014

Well, dang. I thought it had been a while since I saw The Correspondence Savages Your Dreams. I always tried to maintain at least a single point of nightmares so that one would show up. And I always loved to see A Presumptuous Little Opportunity so I could continue to amass a ludicrous amount of Airag (I’m up to 69 bottles). I had no idea I must have been one of the few fans of those cards.

And now I learn that if I become a more experienced connoisseur of neathy delights I could trade all that Airag in for bottles of other substances of escalating rarity. I’m…not sure what to do about that.

I have just moved from a 3-card remote location to a 4-card one, and I am being bombarded by “City Vices” cards, most of which I don’t use. I wondered for a while if I should do the change, and I did as soon as I got my 1000 Brilliant Souls… but if it wasn’t because I’m doing heists (thus changing hands all the time) I would probably stay “far away”.

I have built up a loathing for the Connection Clash cards, but they seem to have some expanded options now so I’m looking at them again (though not usually playing them)…they just seem like giving up connections for no reason, when you can raise or lower those in other means. If I never see that urchin again (either with the widow or the deviless) it will be too soon.

I also liked the Correspondence Savages your Dreams! But that’s because my character’s ultimate goal is apparently to be the leading scholar of the Correspondence in the Neath. I’m really more interested in the storytelling aspect than the grinding, so I’ll play cards that are interesting even if I don’t get much from them. (And I know I’m waaaaay behind a lot of the forums on Having Stuff and following plotlines, because they’re off in the Iron Republic or whatever, and my girl is holed up in her library and then thinks maybe she’ll take the boat out to see Mutton Island again.) I usually play the Pets and Lodgings cards, for instance (except the ocular toadbeast, because my squeamish self cannot handle that picture, like somebody else with the spiders, so I just get rid of it fast as I can. But that’s just me being weird). I’ve been getting a little sick of the Music-Hall Singer because she seems to turn up every other draw. Mostly I don’t mind the City Vices - I keep giving that loser artist money because he’s kind of good in bed. ;p

The only other thing is that sometimes the stories have played themselves out, but the cards keep coming back. The Palace Cellars, for instance; I can’t go any further on it that I know of, at least not with that card. I go back and forth on Intimate with Devils; I actually kind of like that you can turn them down and then go back to earlier in the story, so that once the friendship recovers we can go back to playing croquet or going to the opera. The less interesting ones of those I just discard, no big deal. My character will never give up her soul, ever, but I suppose they’re devils and have to keep trying.

I usually go through the cards first, then whatever other stories I have, and when that’s over if there are still actions, grind for something worth money.

Many of the connection clashes raise one connection by 30 CP and lower the other by only 15 CP, so they are the most efficient way to raise some of the connections. If you like both factions, just alternate between the choices.

Well, the urchins vs. widow card reduces your Nightmares when you side with the urchins… so don’t discard them so quickly (pun intended).
edited by Rinsik on 2/21/2014

Many of the connection clashes raise one connection by 30 CP and lower the other by only 15 CP, so they are the most efficient way to raise some of the connections. If you like both factions, just alternate between the choices.[/quote]
Also, siding against Great Game in Great Game v. Church gives one of each second chance, siding with Church against Hell efficiently reduces Scandal, and one of the options on the Revolutionaries v. Rubbery Men card provides 8E worth of items without affecting connections. Urchin v. Deviless is only fun for me for personal reasons, alas (I convinced some people to play FL thanks to its tonal and thematic resemblance to something else with an urchin teaming up with a devil), but Widow v. Urchin is part of the least expensive way of obtaining Strong-Backed Labour.[li]

I think you mean Widow vs. Docks

[quote=Cordial]… and one of the options on the Revolutionaries v. Rubbery Men card provides 8E worth of items without affecting connections.[/quote]You mean spending the night in the well, which gives 8 x 0.5 = 4 Echoes for 5 Actions? I like that card because it raises Connected: Revolutionaries, which can be cashed in for quite a lot in the Flit. And if that card isn’t enough, I’ll go to the Forgotten Quarter to hold a public lecture on the C_____________. Which has the neat side-effect of also increasing the two connections needed for my salon. And with the new and improved ablution, the Suspicion is easy to wash off.

I also play the two bronze cards that give 3 x Memory of Distant Shores to PoSIs (The Cities that Fell and The Seekers of the Garden), because 1.50 Echoes worth of usable third tier goods is worth at least as much as 1.79 Echoes to me. Or maybe I’m just telling myself that because I like playing opportunity cards in general?

Acacia and the Butterfly is the cash-in card, but someone trying to raise Connected: Widow to use A&B will probably be clicking the Urchin v. Widow card many times, at net 15 CP plus 60 jade per card.[li]

Oops, it’s 5 actions? I completely forgot, thank you! And yes, the one time I’ve managed to draw the card that provides Proscribed Materials, I could not believe 720 was not a typo.

[quote=Gillsing]
I also play the two bronze cards that give 3 x Memory of Distant Shores to PoSIs (The Cities that Fell and The Seekers of the Garden), because 1.50 Echoes worth of usable third tier goods is worth at least as much as 1.79 Echoes to me. Or maybe I’m just telling myself that because I like playing opportunity cards in general?[/quote]

Thank you for reminding me to start a topic I’ve been meaning to make for at least a year. :)

With regards to Opportunity Cards themselves, I’m of two minds. On the one hand, I like that I’m able to see some of the things that I might want to work forward towards (i.e. for cards with locked options requiring certain amounts of resources and/or Qualities that I do not yet have. At the same time, it’s frightfully frustrating to keep receiving certain cards over and over again when I can’t do anything with them–particularly for things like Presumptuous Opportunities, Mr. Wines’ sales, and Mr. Wines’ Revels.

Personally, I’d prefer cards be weighted in the order of: [Cards for storylines I’ve started]>[Event and location-specific Cards]>[Cards for new storylines I haven’t started (including an option to permanently &quotopt out&quot of some of them)]>[Utility cards (connections, professions, etc.)]>[Rare cards]>[Cards where I don’t qualify for any of the actions on it]

Well, dang. I thought it had been a while since I saw The Correspondence Savages Your Dreams. I always tried to maintain at least a single point of nightmares so that one would show up. And I always loved to see A Presumptuous Little Opportunity so I could continue to amass a ludicrous amount of Airag (I’m up to 69 bottles). I had no idea I must have been one of the few fans of those cards.

And now I learn that if I become a more experienced connoisseur of neathy delights I could trade all that Airag in for bottles of other substances of escalating rarity. I’m…not sure what to do about that.[/quote]

You are not alone i like A Presumptuous Little Opportunity as well and REALLY need The Correspondence Savages Your Dreams to become a correspondent.

[li]

Check Shadowy Dealings in the University. You can increase your Scholar of the Correspondence quality there.

A presumptuous little opportunity should far more frequent but lock when you don’t have enough wine to use it.
PS: Isn’t obvious that you don’t want it when can’t use it?

[color=#C2B280]Edit: please don’t use coloured text on these forums.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 3/1/2014

[quote=Boklasarmarkus]A presumptuous little opportunity should far more frequent but lock when you don’t have enough wine to use it.
PS: Isn’t obvious that you don’t want it when can’t use it?[/quote]I don’t think it’s possible for the game engine to check for multiple requirements and then unlock the card if any one of those requirements is fulfilled. So the game wouldn’t know which wine to check for. Or maybe they just like to show what a player could aim for, even if it’s all unavailable at that moment?

[quote=Gillsing][quote=Boklasarmarkus]A presumptuous little opportunity should far more frequent but lock when you don’t have enough wine to use it.
PS: Isn’t obvious that you don’t want it when can’t use it?[/quote]I don’t think it’s possible for the game engine to check for multiple requirements and then unlock the card if any one of those requirements is fulfilled. So the game wouldn’t know which wine to check for. Or maybe they just like to show what a player could aim for, even if it’s all unavailable at that moment?[/quote]
There’s an option somewhere that unlocks upon owning a Parabola-Linen Frock or Dress, and the story text says you only need one despite the unlock-thumbnails listing both.

I agree that the card’s lack of unlock requirements might be intended to display options you can access in the future, though; I would never have known M’s B existed (until I got to the Nadir, at least) or that I could profitably exchange wine on a card if the card hadn’t appeared with all options locked.[li]

I’m about an inch away from attempting to completely remove my Intimate of Devils quality thanks to the obnoxious “A Serious Offer” cards. I might play with selling my soul, but only after I can be sure I can afford the Nex it’ll take to get it back. Really wish this was a storylet–or better yet, an option on the Connected: Hell card–instead of its own card.

[quote=Flipz]I might play with selling my soul, but only after I can be sure I can afford the Nex it’ll take to get it back.[/quote]If your Watchful is 69-120 there’s a card that can give you your soul back at the University, without any Fate involved. But if you’re not willing to let a devil try to convince you to sell your soul, there’s really no point to having an Intimate of Devils at such a high level. Why not just throw him out or beg her to leave you alone? Or are you including any of the cards in the &quotserious offer&quot group, and not just the two last ones that unlock at level 13?

I was talking only about the &quotfinale&quot cards, but I’m half-tempted to be rid of the lot at this point. Same thing with the Celebrated Artist’s Model, actually–though really it’s City Vices in general, and I know I can get rid of those by finding some better Lodgings. :)

EDIT to note: I really, really like the Deviless (I am Closest To Hell, after all), I’m just annoyed by the frequency of the card.
edited by Flipz on 3/2/2014

An extension of the “Intimate with Devils” storyline would be great. At the moment, the fact that at a certain point they just stop trying to woo you and begin begging you for your soul feels somewhat out of character–though there might be something I’m missing.