Operating from non-London bases of operations

That is to say, planning most of your journeys to start and end at a non-London port for a significant period of time. Has anyone done so? Fuel, supplies, repairs, terror reduction, and a way to regularly offset travel costs – I think London’s the only port with that last one, but it seems to me there’s one or two candidates that score three out of five.

The Khagate is a decent place if you have a good map. Can’t think of anywhere else.

You can get lucky with the Take the Air option at the fathomking’s hold and get terror reduction and fuel when you really need it if you go down to his court. [li]

Mt Palmerston has good fuel and supply prices, though it’s a bit too far north for most purposes. Seconding the Khanate, though. Khan’s Shadow is always a good stopoff.

I don’t see any of these as qualifying for all of the points, if only because of the last requirement.

That said: if you sided with the Cavies, Pigmote’s good for 5 supplies and a whopping 25 point terror reduction if you take the &quotfeast&quot option when you visit.

Khan’s Shadow has definitely become my go-to stopoff for middle-sea fuel and supplies.

There’s also relatively safe supplies at Aestival and Mangrove College (though the Aestival one often trades a crew for them).

(I’ve been collating data for a guide for supply and fuel stopoffs, hehe)
edited by Dumont on 1/21/2015

South - east, if Apis reach is near enough to KIngeater castle.

You can make a sacrifice in the castle to reduce terror; fuel and resources in Apis is quite cheap, even if not as much as in London.
edited by Mizr. Edlaine Saphburgh on 1/21/2015

You can also eat your crew at the castle: A big plus in my book.

Khan’s Heart (Once you have Nephrite Ring) with Khan’s Glory if you have a high enough Taimen’s Mercy could enable you to make a profit off of betraying London, simply selling the Strategic info to them. No idea if Vital Intelligence will do them any good.

I don’t really see the point of getting the nephrite ring. You can get supplies and fuel at the same price in khan’s shadow.

It is not all about fuel and supplies as you can get other items from the Nephrite Quarter and sell things. For example in my latest game the Khanate is next to Godfall so I waited until I had opened the shops and bought the candles there. Also once you have started a Network in Port Carnelian you might need something else from there.

[quote=nameless]I don’t really see the point of getting the nephrite ring. You can get supplies and fuel at the same price in khan’s shadow.[/quote] Yeah, but you can buy Coffee for 10 echoes cheaper in Khan’s Heart than you can in London, Romantic Literature for Port Carnelian, and I think a couple other goods for a slight profit.

[li]

You can purchase Darkdrop coffee cheap at Adam’s Way, take it to Irem and sell the coffee for Parabola Linen, return the linen to Adam’s Way, and sell it for a 25 echo profit per item.

If you use the biggest cargo hauler, stuff it to the gills, and carry just enough fuel and supplies to take you to the next port where you can resupply, you can make 1,000-2,000 echoes profit per run.

You could sacrifice fuel and supplies at Kingeater’s Castle to lose terror.

Depending on map layout, you could stop on the way at Khan’s Heart to get crew (at a steep price).

But you’d inevitably have to go back to London to get your ship repaired, and you would have to go there to get some items (like wine and honey).

Still, you could hang out in the far east for a long time and make a good profit.
edited by ancusohm on 1/23/2015

[quote=ancusohm]You can purchase Darkdrop coffee cheap at Adam’s Way, take it to Irem and sell the coffee for Parabola Linen, return the linen to Adam’s Way, and sell it for a 25 echo profit per item.

If you use the biggest cargo hauler, stuff it to the gills, and carry just enough fuel and supplies to take you to the next port where you can resupply, you can make 1,000-2,000 echoes profit per run.

You could sacrifice fuel and supplies at Kingeater’s Castle to lose terror.

Depending on map layout, you could stop on the way at Khan’s Heart to get crew (at a steep price).

But you’d inevitably have to go back to London to get your ship repaired, and you would have to go there to get some items (like wine and honey).

Still, you could hang out in the far east for a long time and make a good profit.
edited by ancusohm on 1/23/2015[/quote]

Although, you could get full repairs from the Fathomking’s Hold IF you have Live Specimens, and Mushroom Wine and Prisoner’s Honey off of Pirates (which if you have good enough ship stats and are clever is easy to avoid taking much if any damage from).
I think a large part of it depends on how lucky you get with a map layout.

[li]

That’s right. I forgot about the Fathomking repair. It’s usually not an option for me because I can never seem to find Live Specimen.

Winning the 100 echoes riddle gets one, as does, of course, the live capture irons challenge on some exploration options.

Live specimens are surprisingly hard to find. It took me forever to get one for the campaigner. As far as I know, you can only get them from rare beast drops or a 20% SAY from port cecil or palmerston.

edit: ninja’d. didn’t know about the 100 riddle one.
edited by nameless on 1/23/2015

[spoiler]The third riddle in the riddle event gives one on a success
edited by Shivah on 1/23/2015
edited by Shivah on 1/23/2015

Resupplying for me, Palmerston (and lifeberg hunting) in the north, The Khanate in the centre, and Apis in the south, best places all around.