One of you is, regrettably, in the wrong place...

I have been getting this quite a bit with social actions offered to me? Any clues why?

Typically, that means people are at sea. Or they may be in the Tomb Colonies, or on the River. It may also come up if they are in the [redacted], not sure about that one.

– Mal

If it’s only been today, it could be the new content. It involves a separate area that does not allow access to the bazaar. Or people could still be exploring Apis Meet.

Happened two days ago too… eventually declined the invite… just got this invite and immediately can’t use it… strange…

It happens … people go mad, or die, or visit one of the out of London areas. I normally leave the invitations and just accept them when the person is back in London.

I do agree it can be a bit disconcerting when the person disappears shortly after the invitation is sent. You can always send them a penny letter from your lodgings … but the chances are they are not anywhere that they can send you an answer though.

[quote=lady ciel ]It happens … people go mad, or die, or visit one of the out of London areas. I normally leave the invitations and just accept them when the person is back in London.

I do agree it can be a bit disconcerting when the person disappears shortly after the invitation is sent. You can always send them a penny letter from your lodgings … but the chances are they are not anywhere that they can send you an answer though.[/quote]
I agree, just send a note that you may decline an invite if they don’t return to London soon so they know why it was declined, if you wish to spare the penny. Additionally to what others have said, out of London areas include Heists in Flit, A Polite Invitation card, Cave of Nadir, fate-locked locations, etc.

When I first started Fallen London, and that message (&quotone of you…&quot) popped up, I freaked out. I sent a letter to the person to let them know why I couldn’t accept their invite, and then I waited. After about 2-3 real-time days (it has been months so I forget exact details), they were in London again, and all was well (I think they were out in zee). Try to give them some time, like around a week and see where they end up. You may even follow along in their journal should they wish to record their happenings.

Keep in mind, the same applies to you. So, if you sent someone a chess invite, then you went on a heist or went to a menace area, wherever, the other person can’t accept until you are done and back in London. There is at least one exception, both of you are in the same location out at zee (say you are both at Mutton Island during the Zee Festival, that happened to me), then you can both accept each other invites too. I hope the replies in this thread helped you understand this better!

Well OK then… now I know it’s normal… thanks again… you all are truly delicious!

Yes, it’s normal. Since the actions have been spent, there’s no need to decline the invitation for regular social actions. At some point, the two of you will be at the same place again. The only time I decline an invitation is for expired festival invites like Hallowmas, and when a player is no longer active. Otherwise, I find it’s a waste of actions and makes the other person sad.

Does anyone have other reasons why they’d decline an invitation?

Some social actions can be sent/accepted regardless of location. Mostly letters can be sent and received no matter of the recipient’s location and corresponding with a fellow academic while at zee can reach players at home in London. The second option does need a few bats on hand though so it does make sense.