On the Description of Items...

“Look at it this way. He’s with us or against us. But he doesn’t know that. And she doesn’t understand that. Trust me. We’re going to make a profit here.”

Devious Raven Advisor

&quotexcuse me, can you put a cover on that? it’s blinding the butler&quot -bejeweled cane

&quotthis peculiar trinket can be induced to circle the head of the owner, ensuring its inevitable theft. Thus it functions as a tiny engine of illicit commerce.&quot - blue and shinning stone

&quotA bonna fide from an individual of impeccable reputation. it might even be real.&quot - personal reccomendation, minus the bracketed disclaimer and in-description list of sources.

EDIT:

[quote=BlakeTheDrake]Quite a few of the items - whether potent equipment or random dross - have quite interesting descriptions… some chilling, some amusing. I recently found a new favorite, after crafting the Bejewelled Cane: &quotExcuse me? Could you put a cover on that? It’s blinding the butler.&quot A sentence which is scientifically impossible to say in anything BUT a stuffy, upper-crust British accent.

So I am wondering - what is YOUR favorite item-description? Do you tend towards the humorous, the terrifying or the bizarre?[/quote]

really? i always imagined it, and try to say it, in a kindly, but subtly menacing tone of voice not dissimilar to an evil mentor.
edited by Grenem on 3/26/2015

&quotNot what it was, but once it was something special.&quot - Stained Red Velvet Gown
I want to make it become special once again!! :)

[quote=Percenila]&quotNot what it was, but once it was something special.&quot - Stained Red Velvet Gown
I want to make it become special once again!! :)[/quote]
Hmmm, maybe a little storylet? Take one Stained dress, so many echoes, and try to persuade a tailor to refurbish it?

Your reward: a Glamorous Red Velvet Dress.

There’s even an unused red dress image floating around the FL software they could use.

[quote=Percenila]&quotNot what it was, but once it was something special.&quot - Stained Red Velvet Gown
I want to make it become special once again!! :)[/quote]

Do you know how hard it is to get that much blood out of ivory velvet?
edited by xKiv on 3/26/2015

[quote=OctaviaCrowe]
http://images.fallenlondon.com/icons/corset.png[/quote]

That one is just the older-than-old image for Corsetted Dress (they changed that one twice).

&quotSplash, splash. Let us have a tiny sacrifice.&quot
drown the dress in Ablution Absolution, then throw it into the Nadir

It’s followed you home from nightmares.
But it’s still a good dog.

Some of my favorites have already been posted but here’s a few more.

&quotIs it dead? Stunned? Sleeping? Waiting? Dare you where it long enough to find out?&quot - A Starveling Stole

&quotA modern assassin’s companion. Be careful when it rains.&quot - Poison-Tipped Umbrella

&quotCats! Cats everywhere!&quot - Haunted-Looking Dog

&quotA struggling box! What could be in here? A tabby cat? A black cat? A really angry dwarf?&quot - A Boxed Cat?

&quotThe Exceptional Hat has never been observed to consume the brains of it’s wearers. These stories are without exception lies!&quot - Exceptional Hat

&quotPut this on your face. Don’t ask why. No! Don’t let it touch your lips!&quot - Gloam-Foam

&quotThe most grandiose trophy an anarchist might aspire to. Was it shed in battle, or given as a gift? It is a deeper red than human blood, and freezing cold to the touch. It carries a song in it: an unending fading ring like black space struck with a fingernail. Left alone on a shelf, it will tremble and shiver, so that other objects will drift apart, as if edging nervously away.&quot

I have no idea what black space struck with a fingernail might sound like, but it’s quite evocative.

I saw it! Ask anyone! …except her. Don’t ask her.

He insists on formality. He’s a projectile, not a conversationalist.

:)

I’m completely biased towards my favorite storyline.

&quotA candle of a false saint. It stinks of promises roasted like flesh. Betray friends, lovers, innocents.&quot
&quotThis is the candle whose flame lights the feet of gallows-hung Hecate. It is the colour of spring leaves in firelight. Midnight.&quot
&quotI hope you’re proud of yourself.&quot
&quotThe is the candle that does not yet exist. Surrender.&quot

‘Coming through! Coming through with woefully inefficient brakes!’

The description for the Velocipede is by far my favourite.

&quotIt’s very easy to underestimate this one. You think she rather likes that.&quot-Canny Costermonger

&quotHe whose sable arms, black as his purpose, did the night resemble…&quot- Anarchist’s Sable
&quotThis will show you the way to Polythreme. Don’t go.- Screaming Map
&quotIF THERE BE HERE LESSON OR MORAL, IT LIES BEYOND THE COMPETENCE OF HIM WHO INSCRIBES THIS RECORD-Emphyrio&quot-A Headful Of Picaresque Tales
&quotCinnabar, hydrogen, salts of iron, the tears of those who have never loved…&quot-The Formula For Empyrean Redolence

May I humbly submit my LEAST favorite? &quotAnkle Manacles&quot has been bothering me for a long time.
edited by ruen on 4/12/2015

[quote=ruen]May I humbly submit my LEAST favorite? &quotAnkle Manacles&quot has been bothering me for a long time.
edited by ruen on 4/12/2015[/quote]

How? Is there a specific word you are allergic to?

&quotWhere are my sodding crickets?&quot - Sulky Bat
It reminds me of me, always hungry.

&quotNo, they don’t export souls.&quot

[quote=Estelle Knoht][quote=ruen]May I humbly submit my LEAST favorite? &quotAnkle Manacles&quot has been bothering me for a long time.

How? Is there a specific word you are allergic to?[/quote]

Non-FBG voice: I’m guessing it’s that the derivation is from ‘hand’ - so it’s a bit like ‘ankle handcuffs’. But they are used re: ankles elsewhere - it’s a general usage oddity, not a FL one.

[quote=babelfishwars][quote=Estelle Knoht][quote=ruen]May I humbly submit my LEAST favorite? &quotAnkle Manacles&quot has been bothering me for a long time.

How? Is there a specific word you are allergic to?[/quote]

Non-FBG voice: I’m guessing it’s that the derivation is from ‘hand’ - so it’s a bit like ‘ankle handcuffs’. But they are used re: ankles elsewhere - it’s a general usage oddity, not a FL one.[/quote]

[color=#009900]Like so much other word-choice stuff in FBG, this generated a lot of heat behind the scenes. It is, as Olivia says, a weird usage, but a usage, and we couldn’t find another word that was usefully specific.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]But six years on, sod it, it doesn’t need to be usefully specific, so I’m employing my fiat to go off and change it to Leg Irons.[/color]