On souls, profit and ethics

I find myself involved in the soul trade. Now I am at a fork in the road: should I take up the life of a spirifer, or should I take the moral high ground? What would you recommend?

Spirifage provides lasting, lucrative, but morally and legally dangerous commercial opportunities. It’s not the only way to make money in Fallen London, but it’s simple and rewarding. The C.V.R. requires more effort and sacrifice on your part, but upstanding London factions will recognise your good work, spread the good word about you and ensure that life’s little problems - scandal, injury, hunger and what have you - don’t bother you.

In short, spirifage is risky but rewarding, while shepherding offers social contacts and a safety net. They have story options which can give you warm fuzzies or make you laugh evilly, so that may influence your decision.

Pick whichever way suits your character.

If you have to ask I think you already know the answer. :)

If you’re at a fork in the road, that may well be your answer already. :)

Spirifage is more profitable, restoring souls is better at reducing menaces.

Past a certain point, money becomes almost worthless. Until you reach that point, it’s a very nice thing to have. How long is your shopping list?

Not quite. The very biggest goals you can try for involve getting massive sums of money (Overgoat and cider). HOWEVER, the issue is more that eventually you unlock better ways of making money. Spirifage is ~143 PPA from what I hear. Once you get 40 Kingmaker quality, getting boxfuls of intrigue also hits that. In addition, the luck-based methods of making money (Screaming Map and Fidgeting Writer) both exceed it.

On the other hand, past a certain point menaces won’t bother you anymore. In the endgame, you can make most stat checks straightforward. Granted, the CVR route also boosts connections a great deal, so there’s that. However, the connections boosted don’t have TOO much use in the endgame either.

I think what Mr Green means is that, once you have an Overgoat, grinding for Echoes no longer feels important. I guess you could try to grind for Cider, but that would take years and, frankly, I think most people would get sick of the game by then. Unless you have a script for automation(which you shouldn’t) or an iron constitution for repetition, then yeah: past a certain point money does become almost worthless.
There are so many more things you find you want in Fallen London, from a stockpile of all the different items to all the titles and monikers the game offers, that you find you just stop sweating the EPA of things. For most folks, however, that point is quite a ways away.

I think what Mr Green means is that, once you have an Overgoat, grinding for Echoes no longer feels important. I guess you could try to grind for Cider, but that would take years and, frankly, I think most people would get sick of the game by then. Unless you have a script for automation(which you shouldn’t) or an iron constitution for repetition, then yeah: past a certain point money does become almost worthless.
There are so many more things you find you want in Fallen London, from a stockpile of all the different items to all the titles and monikers the game offers, that you find you just stop sweating the EPA of things. For most folks, however, that point is quite a ways away.[/quote]
I do have an overgoat, and I keep feeding fidgeting writers to lenses of black glass! I stop doing so when they add new content, but so far, it’s the most profitable alternative, and given how things go, I think it will remain so for a while. Why, you ask? for the cider, obviously. Should I sell all my stuff, I could buy two overgoats, and have some to spare.

Total Worth: €24,702.52
Equipment: €8,542.87
Inventory: €16,159.65

Obviously, if they add new gear, I’ll be able to buy it ipso facto, if any new storyline requires me to get some gear or goods purchasable in the bazaar, I’ll have that covered. I have all the lodgings, save for the one that required K&C rank, the best gear, and I’m currently scaring by body, chaining my mind and staining my soul. Oh, and capping my stats, that tend to go down once one starts searching for a given name…

How did you get to that stage? Should I wait in a certain location for such an opportunity to appear? It’s been almost two weeks…

Which stage are you referring to? Getting involved in the Soul Trade, or the point where money just doesn’t matter? I’ve never gotten involved in the Soul Trade (my character finds handling souls morally wrong, but he’s absolutely fine with buying and selling them). As for the point where money doesn’t matter, I grinded for materials for the Fidgeting Writer, and started with 1200 Tales of Terror. The whole thing took nearly half a year, but when I was through, I got the best equipment in the game and my Overgoat, so it was kinda worth it.

I think he’s referring to the Black Lens bit. It’s the 7th step in the Case of the Fidgeting Writer. A quick search should tell you more than what you need to know about that particular storylet.

Oh, sorry, I did mean that stage in the Soul Trade. I find myself stymied and bound in my current level. I’ve gleaned that one must wait for an opportunity to arise in Ladybones, but after dozens (if not a hundred) cards, no such opportunity has presented itself. So I wonder if I’m not wearing the right hat or somesuch.

I don’t think I even drew the cards there. Have you checked storylets in all basic locations to be sure?

Oh, yes, I’ve been all over, even out to Zee and back. No signs of the Soul Trade anywhere. Not sure where I’ve gone wrong, but clearly I have! It’s been weeks!

Then I guess you have to just continue drawing cards? There’s nothing at Zee. Might I inquire what your current qualities in the process are? I can’t help on the Spirifer part.

[color=#ccffcc]Edit: I can’t help if you’re a merchant, as said =/[/color]
edited by Aximillio on 1/15/2013

I looked back over my Journal and my qualities, and it seems I’ve already made my choice, but haven’t gotten to collect the relevant item yet. I’m a Merchant of Souls 3, and I believe I need to await a visitor in my lodgings, so I think I was just cycling through Opps in the wrong location. :$