Oh God, what am I doing

Title should hopefully be clear enough, but I’m constantly unsure if what I’m doing is beneficial, let alone optimal - I have no clue how to get money past selling things, and if selling is worth it, whether cards are worth touching or not and where I’m supposed to be going. I’d really appreciate any help/advice people can give, doubly so if its spoiler free, because if nothing else the writing is great.

1 Like

Well, I assume that you’re an early player. As such, almost nothing you can do is optimal. But don’t look at that as a bad thing! Just do whatever strikes your fancy, and enjoy that great writing you mentioned! Selling things is the only way to get money, outside of some very specific opportunities, but you shouldn’t really worry about that. If you want to buy something, sell off a handful of Rostygold or something in that vein to get a couple of Echos. Also, most cards will be more profitable than any other option where you are. If you would like to be pointed in the right direction, I would recommend looking into the Making Your Name storylines, which can be started in the four starting areas and gradually unlock more of London and increase your stats by quite significant amounts.

1 Like

right, that seems helpful, thanks - are there any designated items that only serve a purpose for selling, or do they all have some usage outside of the bazaar?

1 Like

Pretty much everything has some usage & it’s pretty rare in-game for you to ever need to pay for something directly with Echoes so generally leaving stuff in your inventory until you specifically need cash is the way to go, yeah

1 Like

Idk I think early game you kinda HAVE to buy some equipment, there’s not a lot of GOOD options outside of festivals, mostly Fruits of the Zee…

That said, we ARE in a festival right now. Do the advent calenders and you’ll get some VERY helpful starter gear that doesn’t get outpaced until you’re at the point where selling stuff for 50-100 echoes for gear doesn’t make you pause! You started at one 9f the best times of the year!! Welcome to London!

1 Like

In case you’ve hesitated to avail yourself of the wiki, I can confirm that the beginner’s guide is spoiler free and quite helpful.

Another fun thing about starting the game this time of year: Christmas cards buff damage, grant CP, AND give Second Chances (can be used to reroll failed challenges or redeemed for CP). There’s a player-coordinated Christmas card request sheet to link you up with delicious friends to exchange with.

Part of the fun of the game is figuring out what’s what, so enjoy your tme poking around. You probably don’t need to even think about optimal play until your stats start to hit 70 or 80.

The one game mechanic approach I recommend in the early game is to hoard stuff. And lots of it. If you need cash, sell items that are most easily replaced.