Obscure Storylets Unlocked By Even Obscurer Means

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]I have noticed a couple cases where new cards or storylets become available without warning. Sounds like a pleasant surprise- to find new content in old places- right? For instance, &quotAn Empty House&quot storylet appears at Wolfstack Docks after completing a Parabolan War for the Bloody-Handed Queen.[/color]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Then we get into some… problematic cases.[/color]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]You only learn the truth about &quotA Sand-Choked Dream&quot if you visit a storylet in The Viric Jungle. Didn’t visit The Viric Jungle because you had no reason to go? Now your character will never know.[/color]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]&quotThe Hole in your Head&quot card appears in the Nadir if you do… things at the Hurlers. [/color]In fact[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)], doing this unlocks an alternate path with the Tracklayer story ending. [/color]I never would have known about this[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] since I only go into the Nadir for Neathmas (and would have [/color]missed out[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] on a more desirable outcome) had I not used the wiki beforehand![/color]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]There is a difference between finding a pleasant surprise vs missing out on something because you didn’t know that you didn’t know what to do. Were it not for the wiki to warn me / let me read content I might accidentally miss, I would be left feeling frustrated.[/color]

I did not know but neither were available to me anyway, as I’m too early in the game.

I think the best example of that was the one-off festival with the Masters. I was drawing new cards with no idea how I unlocked them, and some people missed out on them altogether, and it turns out - to unlock them - you needed to visit some location or other (which was never hinted at, way away from the main festival, and would never have guessed was connected).
edited by Robin Alexander on 8/26/2021

The Steward did tell you to go to the Nadir to get rid of your Discordant Law.

You wouldn’t miss the fact that you could go to the Nadir to deal with discordant laws, but you might see that an option required an Irrigo-filled Mirrorcatch box and not know where to get one. You’d know where to find irrigo by that point, but where to get a Mirrorcatch box? No reason to look for it at one of the Jericho locations you’ve already visited unless you were told.

I’m not sure what you could do about this besides ask for more details in the patch notes, and that doesn’t feel like a satisfactory solution.

About Stone Pig, you raise corresponding dream/nightmare quality. But at some point it stop growing, giving just menace. This is the strong hint that you need to do something else. Where? Parabola, obviously, is the first place to check.
edited by Waterpls on 8/26/2021

She did? My bad. Don’t know how I missed that!

As has been said before, the Nadir thing was said in-game. That how I found out about it. For the Sand-Choked dream, I asked in the discord when the card stopped changing.

Today I learned about An Empty House, and today I also discovered the wiki is missing a requirement for it.

What cards were these? Not sure if I saw them myself!

I knew about the Sand-Chocked Dream in the Viric Jungle and I knew about removing a Discordant law in the Nadir, but I didn’t know that it unlocked a new ending for the tracklayer storyline. I agree that sometimes, some of the possibility are not well telegraphed.
edited by Quidam on 8/26/2021

The Empty House is exceptionally easy to miss, because it disappears as soon as you begin another campaign (unlike Dome of Scales content). Since I tended to pick my next campaign immediately, even if I wasn’t going to started it, I blocked myself from it for a while.

Nadir instructions were explicit, albeit not in Bold, Italicized Game Instruction Text. The Stewardess just tells you in some conversation.

The Big Dig event was, by its own admission, experimental and driven to community interaction (and I’m including the Sand-Choked Dream in that). FBG wanted the community getting involved with itself more in that. I guess part of that is expecting players to share information, and find out about things through the grapevine rather than in-game signage. I dunno, the experiment was enjoyable but I signed up for a 99% single-player game rather than an MMO. As long as it’s confined to a few-weeks event in the middle of summer I can get excited for it, but I wouldn’t want that to become a regular expectation for how the game is played.

I think I found out about those things from forums because I hang out here too much, but without that, I definitely would have found the hole in your head in the Nadir, and probably would not have found the new storylet in the viric jungle.

Pretty sure that without the community, I would have never found some of the epilogue storylets to parabolan warfare (besides the changing dome of scales).

It’s something you might have been able to guess, logically.

[spoiler]Furnace has a problem caused by a Discordant Law. Irrigo can remove the effects of a Discordant law. Perhaps you could bring some irrigo?

You may not realize the exact nature of her problem if you haven’t followed up on rumors of Cornelius, but you ought to know that if you don’t follow up on things, you won’t learn about other related things.[/spoiler]

I strongly suspect that Robin is talking about the same &quotSand-Choked Dream&quot cards referenced in the original post. If not, then I must have missed them too.