November Exceptional Story: The Sinking Synod

It’s neither redundant nor an oxymoron. Neo-futurism just means &quotfuturism that is new.&quot There is an older style of futurism which is not the same as neo-futurism. They could have called it something different, but because stylistic names are frequently descriptive, and because the older school of futurism is still in use, they decided not to.

It’s neither redundant nor an oxymoron. Neo-futurism just means &quotfuturism that is new.&quot There is an older style of futurism which is not the same as neo-futurism. They could have called it something different, but because stylistic names are frequently descriptive, and because the older school of futurism is still in use, they decided not to.[/quote]

The difference between the futurism of architecture that looks like Apple designed it, and a vision of the future looking like a 50’s raygun, to give some supporting examples. Modernism, Futurism, etc aren’t vague terms referring to the modern or the futuristic, but all specific artistic movements with relatively strict definitions.

Is there any benefit to becoming a bishop gameplay-wise other than the fact you can call yourself one?

I know this is a bit off topic, but the art definitely looks like something that would show up in Skies. Just had to say.

I really hope people start calling me “The bish”

When you just want to enjoy a peaceful stroll through the bog, but a crowd of clergy are making a mess of the place so you have to lurk behind their tents

[quote=Cthonius]Also I feel it fitting and comical to refer to this mysterious figure as Bugsby[/quote]That drunk we talked to at the Medusa’s Head was telling the truth! Bugsby is real! It’s a swamp-mas miracle!

On a more serious note, this ES is beautiful. I’m strongly reminded of The Century Exhibition and All Things Must End. I’m quite fond of stories which focus on worldbuilding, and which make good use of Storynexus’s capacity for nonlinear or branching story paths.

I also enjoyed being able to flesh out my own character’s attitudes towards and interactions with the church. As an agent of the New Sequence, Anchovies isn’t an enemy of the church, but they do think it could use a little redirection… Speaking of the New Sequence, I love the passing reference to &quotthe Royal Navy and their “engines powered by colours”&quot in the result text for engaging in fungal shenanigans.

You can move diagonally in the Great Game.

&quotOkay, Devious - don’t move!&quot

&quotThe Bishop!&quot

Will being a bishop and an unbishop cancel each other out?

Hubris isn’t sure but he intends to find out.

I would like to know this…

…and this myself, too. This is yet another case of &quotchoose more ‘exclusive’ choice in the hopes of better rewards, or play in-character&quot which I seem to get stuck on almost every ES.

I don’t know, maybe the good Southwark might.

That leads to being both. You will be bibishop.
edited by xKiv on 10/28/2017

I admit, I too have a soft spot for these roleplaying-centric stories, where the focus isn’t in unraveling a big mystery or some grand adventure, just interacting with people and getting to explore who our character is as a person. I liked that we finally got to explore a bit more about the workings of the Church, as I feel they’re one of the more interesting factions in the Neath. Seeing how they’ve somehow sunk into somewhat obscurity nowadays, it’s nice to see them fleshed out a bit and see a faction that’s not preoccupied with just &quotsmashing those bloody devils grrr&quot. I enjoyed the synod and was amused by the outcome (being me being appointed bishop), but had a few real peeves with the whole thing.

• Needless Action Point costs- It really shouldn’t be necessary for the character to have to spend so many AP to find out about the Synod. We’ve had events in the past where talking is a free action. Unless there’s a good reason as to why talking should cost AP (such as sparring with the bishop of southwark) this point it really feels like adding filler to an otherwise quick story.[/li][li]Open-Ended Abrupt Ending- I actually agonized quite a bit over my choice at the end, and was surprised how little it felt like my choice meant anything. The whole Synod built up how these two factions of the Church were at each others throats and then… everyone just kind of went home? After Five Minutes to Midday and Hojotoho! established ES can have effects on our London, I’m disappointed I won’t be able to later head over and see how St.Fiacre’s hospital is doing, or an opportunity card illustrating Church bullyboys harassing the drunk and soulless with the Sourthwark Candidate in charge.[/li][li]The overall straightforward course of the Synod as a whole.- As a ES that focused on the political intrigues of the Church, I was somewhat disappointed how little seemed to occur at the Synod itself. Unless I’m mistaken there doesn’t seem to be much affect to influencing the assembly towards one side or the other as long as one has enough influence at the end. [/li][li]The focus seemed to be very much all over the place near the end.- Looking back it doesn’t seem like the ES didn’t seem to know what it was trying to be, which really shined through by the end. We start out running around town trying to find out about this Synod deal, find out there’s two factions trying to claim a new diocese to further their own agendas… but when we get there we get bogged down rimshot with Shrek and his gripe with all these guys suddenly chilling in his swamp. I wouldn’t have minded that as much if it had been done well, but without a proper conclusion to his subplot it feels as if Shrek served no real point, and time spent hanging out with him could have been better spent fleshing out other characters attending the Synod.

I know this makes it sound like I didn’t like the ES, but I really did. It’s just looking back, it seems like the whole thing was an interesting idea that was lacking in the actual execution. I will certainly enjoy being able to call myself The Bishop as I shamelessly get wasted at my local honey den and dabble in the soul trade, yet find myself yearning for more. The abrupt ending has me hoping that there could be a sequel sometime in the future that has us managing a Church project in the Marsh while at the same time fighting off the encroaching supernatural weirdness.

Whatever the case, it’s all ogre now.

If the synod is influenced to elect the player character as bishop, does the player then get to choose between the plans put forward by Southwark and St Fiacre’s?

“Look at the tents. Sagging canvas, sinking into the mire. The earth itself rejects them.”

Great line… reminds me of a short film I saw a few years ago: The Earth Rejects Him - YouTube

(fair warning: some gore, very creepy)

Having switch adressed as to Bishop, and then back to Correspondant, you appear to be unable to change back to Bishop again from the Urchins card.

Ok, so all the influence I got in the first round of deliberations just vanished for no apparent reason. I’ve only got nine at the end. I’m not suggesting I’d make a particularly good Bishop, but… the notion of building a cathedral in a swamp has an odd allure to it.

I’m honestly pretty disappointed. The story was nice enough and it was really refreshing to get some insight into the Church, but my mistake of chasing the shiny thing and wanting to get myself elected seems to have rather… Ruined the whole thing. I get a title I’ll lose if I ever want to change what I’m addressed as, no material reward - not that that’s so important, but still - and apparently sabotaged the whole thing by doing so? I think my main problem is that, while there’s an option to screw over others to help yourself like in Marsh House, this time the result for doing so is so… Meh. &quotYou’re not a bishop, but we’ll let you get away with calling yourself one, for some time. Also, the project is ruined, and no thanks from Bugsby even though you ruined it like he wanted.&quot I guess this all just came as a bit of a surprise since this ending needing the highest amount of influence gave me the impression of being the &quotbest&quot ending - since usually difficulty translates into higher material/personal rewards.

edit:// I think another problem I had, was that the story didn’t quite give me enough material about the candidates to really feed my confirmation bias about them - I liked Fiacre’s candidate more than Southwark’s, but whereas, say, Court of Cats taught me enough about both candidates to properly hate one and ignore bad things about the other, I remained rather… Lukewarm about both, this time.
[i]edited by John Moose on 10/29/2017

edit2:/// Well don’t I have a foot in my mouth now. Thanks Absintheuse :)
[/i]
edited by John Moose on 10/30/2017

No. It’s an ending in and of itself that precludes the other three. It’s currently the most recent entry in Prospera’s journal, if anyone wants to preview it.

[color=#cc0099]Just popping in to say that it’s possible to swap back to your bishop title via the The Roof-Tops: Urchin card [/color]