Nothing but a floating buoy

I just downloaded the Linux version as part of the recent Humble Indie Bundle. I’m running it on Linux Mint on a somewhat outdated machine, but it seems to load up and get as far as it does with no trouble.

For some reason though, I get to a screen with a buoy floating on open water, gently oscillating and moving back and forth, in and out of view. That is all. I see no menu, nothing I do with my mouse or keyboard seems to get a reaction of any sort, I’m just sitting there staring at that buoy. I don’t see any error messages dumping out on the console, and it seems to run smoothly, but I get no prompt and nothing I do has any effect.

Is this something not working properly, or something I’m misunderstanding, or something else?

That’s a bug. You should be seeing the menu there. Drop a line to support@failbettergames.com and see if they can sort it out.

We may have words if you don’t appreciate Buoy Simulator 3000.

[quote=Jacob Ewing]I just downloaded the Linux version as part of the recent Humble Indie Bundle. I’m running it on Linux Mint on a somewhat outdated machine, but it seems to load up and get as far as it does with no trouble.

For some reason though, I get to a screen with a buoy floating on open water, gently oscillating and moving back and forth, in and out of view. That is all. I see no menu, nothing I do with my mouse or keyboard seems to get a reaction of any sort, I’m just sitting there staring at that buoy. I don’t see any error messages dumping out on the console, and it seems to run smoothly, but I get no prompt and nothing I do has any effect.

Is this something not working properly, or something I’m misunderstanding, or something else?[/quote]

I also run Mint 17

There’s a problem with the ways Unity handles saves for some unity created games in Linux. The game looks for a save or tries to create one before it gives you the opening menu.

Check the permissions on
&quot’/home/user/.config/unity3d/Failbetter Games’
And make sure anyone can read and write files there and every file enclosed there, older version of sunless sea created that directory with root-only and I’m thiniking the HumbeBundle version isn’t as up to date as the steam one I’m currently using.

To avoid future problems it can be good to give more lax permissions on the unity3d folder as well as some other games have this problem, notably Paper Sorcerer (though it just prevents saving)

Even if you get the steam version you’ll have to delete that root-only permissions folder for a clean install to work, because obviously a clean install can’t write over a root only folder.

Using sudo nemo from the terminal is probably the most convenient way to make these changes, of course you can manually edit them from the terminal or root log in if you wanted too as well.

To be clear when you launch the game it checks for a save file, finds none, tries to create a save file, fails due to root permissions, and sits there not knowing what to do next. It either looks that indefinitely or does nothing, probably the nothing because theres no processor spike. I kind of rambled past that explanation, sorry.
edited by JGPS on 2/26/2016

[quote=JGPS][quote=Jacob Ewing]I just downloaded the Linux version as part of the recent Humble Indie Bundle. I’m running it on Linux Mint on a somewhat outdated machine, but it seems to load up and get as far as it does with no trouble.

Is this something not working properly, or something I’m misunderstanding, or something else?[/quote]

I also run Mint 17

There’s a problem with the ways Unity handles saves for some unity created games in Linux. The game looks for a save or tries to create one before it gives you the opening menu.

Check the permissions on
&quot’/home/user/.config/unity3d/Failbetter Games’
And make sure anyone can read and write files there and every file enclosed there, older version of sunless sea created that directory with root-only and I’m thiniking the HumbeBundle version isn’t as up to date as the steam one I’m currently using.

To avoid future problems it can be good to give more lax permissions on the unity3d folder as well as some other games have this problem, notably Paper Sorcerer (though it just prevents saving)

Even if you get the steam version you’ll have to delete that root-only permissions folder for a clean install to work, because obviously a clean install can’t write over a root only folder.

Using sudo nemo from the terminal is probably the most convenient way to make these changes, of course you can manually edit them from the terminal or root log in if you wanted too as well.

To be clear when you launch the game it checks for a save file, finds none, tries to create a save file, fails due to root permissions, and sits there not knowing what to do next. It either looks that indefinitely or does nothing, probably the nothing because theres no processor spike. I kind of rambled past that explanation, sorry.
edited by JGPS on 2/26/2016[/quote]

Could you please contact Sunlesslinux@failbettergames.com with your issue and we’ll find out what the problem is :).

Could you please contact Sunlesslinux@failbettergames.com with your issue and we’ll find out what the problem is :).[/quote]

I both know what the problem is and how to fix it (described above). It’s been a known problem since the first Linux release. It’s not a problem in the current steam version but apparently what he got from humble still has it.

The nature of the problem means he now has to fix it manually, even deleting what he has and installing an up-to-date version won’t fix it.

A number of other unity created games have the same problem when porting to Linux.

Actually, a simple chown fixed it for me. The directory ~/.config/unity3d was owned by root with permission flags 700. Changing the ownership to my own user fixed it.

Glad to hear it’s working. Paper sorcerer will now work for you too, should you ever be inclined to get it.