Notable Professions - what you expect?

Running out of the more basic advanced pursuits but spotted Await an Unsigned Letter Do you seek a Notable profession?
in the Write Letters option in my lodgings - needs a Favourable Circumstance so in process of grinding Notability to 7.

But what are Notable Professions and is this going to be a waste? ie. I could grind The Great Game instead and use the Notability card to become a Midnighter or other advanced profession…

Are the Notable Professions these or are they something else again, like the Echoist, Glassman etc?

Cheers!

The Notable Professions are those available on the Unsigned Message Card, and require one to have Notability of 3 or 5 (depending on tier: 3 first, then 5). The Notability will not be used up. You may only have the Notable Profession for which your current Profession is a prerequisite: there are a number of different &quotcareer paths,&quot e.g. Journalist-Writer-Correspondent. The exception to these are Notary and Doctor, which only require 3 Notability, but you need to be unemployed to join them (so write a resignation letter after you draw the card). They pay better than all other professions, but have no associated equipable item.

Using Favorable Circumstances will only permit you to draw the card immediately, rather than waiting for it to turn up in the normal course of play. It is an uncommon card, but IMO using 7 Notability to get it is a waste. It will come eventually.
After you have the Tier 2 Profession (Glassman, Midnighter, etc), the card will allow you to receive a gift if you pass a pretty high-level Challenge. The gift is the same random box you get from the &quotGive a Gift&quot action.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 1/19/2016

Like Mal said, I wouldn’t use up Notability 7 for the Favourable Circumstances only to get this card, it’s not that rare.
Here’s the wiki page about Professions, you can see the different career paths and rewards.

The Author profession is of note for not requiring the card so it can be obtained pre-PoSI from the Bohemians card. Besides upgrades to tier 3 and 4 professions, the Unsigned Message card also allows the “unentangled” professions of Tutor, Undertaker, Notary, and Doctor. Anyone with a PoSI specialization can spend their Notability to overlevel their specialized stat. Those without need of any of the above can try a high Notability challenge for a Surprise Package or a Vision of the Surface on failure.

@Optimatum: right about the Author, although the 60 Echo opportunity cost is a bit steep. I think Professions are something one should just be patient and take as they come; but then I passed my Correspondent check at 32%, I might feel differently if I were still trying.

– Mal

Cheers guys - glad I checked in time to avoid wasting time or Notability. Have a few last avenues of free content to pursue, for now anyway…

Cheers

Sixty echoes is a pretty big cost early in the game, but a +9 watchful and persuasive companion is far better than anything else possible around level 50 - and to this day I don’t have any persuasive companion that good and only just got a better watchful one.

Dear friends,

I have notability 3 and just turned over The Unsigned Message Card. Available now is a gift. The other options all require higher stats (200 and up) and I don’t have that yet. However, there are four options, one corresponding to each of the four stats. (Things like &quottale of peril&quot and &quotromance&quot.) Since my current profession is minor poet, can I just assume that each of the four options is author of one sort or another? It doesn’t actually say that, but I believe this is where Minor Poet leads?

In perplexity, but anticipation,

Hepzibah Gordon

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hepzibah~Gordon~

Open to social actions and a beginner in the Moon League

No, those options are how you overcap your stats (push them past the cap of 200 at the expense of your notability (itself capped at 15)).

I think you’re talking about the PoSI specializations. They let you set one of your stats to 200 plus your notability, regardless of your profession.

Hmmmm. Perhaps I am. So this is different from the Unsigned Message Card that brings you a profession? For a profession I await a different unsigned message card?

Still slightly perplexed but grateful,

Hepzibah

You may find this wiki article informative.

I think the issue here is probably that you are presently a Minor Poet (which does not lead to the Author profession) rather than a Journalist (which does). In order to become an author, you’ll need to abandon your current profession and Choose Journalist as your Profession on the Bohemians opportunity card.

Oh! You still have a training profession. You should withdraw from it, then use the bohemian card to become a journalist (or some other faction card for a different profession). That will let you see the higher tier professions on the unsigned message.

Yes, I am a still a humble trainee. I believe I know how to withdraw via a letter of resignation and can certainly do that. I am not as sure what &quotuse the Bohemian&quot card means. I take it this is something drawn from the deck? (I guess I’ve always been vague about professions.)

Feeling rather dim, and yet still grateful,

Hepzibah Gordon

edited by shapjul on 3/24/2016

You want to Choose Journalist as your Profession on the opportunity card The Demi-Monde: Bohemians. After that, you can become an author either via a followup storylet on the same opportunity card (the next time you draw it), or on An Unsigned Message (which you’re likely better off doing given how much of a pain it is to make the required Exceptional Short Story).

You want to Choose Journalist as your Profession on the opportunity card The Demi-Monde: Bohemians. After that, you can become an author either via a followup storylet on the same opportunity card (the next time you draw it), or on An Unsigned Message (which you’re likely better off doing given how much of a pain it is to make the required Exceptional Short Story).[/quote]

Kind friends–

I am enlightened. I see the way. I shall proceed apace! I am in your collective debt.

Hepzibah Gordon (aspiring journalist)

If it is not too late, I would recommend waiting until you have leveled all your stats to 70 using the training professions before switching to journalist or another tier 1 profession. I find the stat raise in the early game quite useful.

Considering that the only way to see that card is if you are a PoSI, I would venture that she probably doesn’t need to be concerned with the training professions anymore.