Non Persuasive Honey or Romantic Notions?

I’ve made a dreadful mistake of cashing out my poor beloved Zee
Clipper and gambling with Mr Apples before insuring that I’ve a ready source of Romantic Notions for comprehensive bribes. I’ve lost twice this far! I was also very very unpleasantly surprised that I lost my explorer quality, which I had gotten up to 8.

Any advice on how best to acquire Honey or Romantic Notions in a Non-Persuasive fashion? I’d prefer Watchful or Shadowy as those are a full 30 points below my nearly 200 Persuasive. I’d really prefer not to cap that out since I’ve still some work to do in the Court, for example. I can ship myself out to Polytheme but it’ll be via the tramp steam and I’d rather not.

You may take a steamer to Polythreme and watch the local tables and kettles being in love up to the moment you gather enough notions for atleast 5 comprehensive bribes or until you simply go mad.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 11/18/2015

Should you be inclined to add an additional element of gambling to the mix, and have no compunctions about some of the actions along the way (such as trading souls), the Case of the Fidgeting Writer is a source of Comprehensive Bribes. You must reach the stage of the Black Lens.

An Explorer of the Unterzee is a quality that just tracks whether or not you have a ship; the only known value for it is “The Captain!” I believe you’re thinking of An Experienced Zailor when you refer to raising it to eight.

Not really sure how to get honey or romantic notions best though. My persuasive is by far my lowest stat so I get those via unfinished business.

[quote=Andrew Astherson]You may take a steamer to Polythreme and watch the local tables and kettles being in love up to the moment you gather enough notions for atleast 5 comprehensive bribes or until you simply go mad.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 11/18/2015[/quote]

… go mad may be the problem. It would definitely work alright! Lurk in the Eaves is actually better though (12 vs. 8) and it would grind shadowy.

Oh thank you! I do think you’re right. That’s reassuring, since in giving up the Zee clipper I’ve lost its cards from the deck.
edited by Parelle on 11/18/2015

[quote=Parelle][quote=Andrew Astherson]You may take a steamer to Polythreme and watch the local tables and kettles being in love up to the moment you gather enough notions for atleast 5 comprehensive bribes or until you simply go mad.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 11/18/2015[/quote]

… go mad may be the problem. It would definitely work alright! Lurk in the Eaves is actually better though (12 vs. 8) and it would grind shadowy.

Oh thank you! I do think you’re right. That’s reassuring, since in giving up the Zee clipper I’ve lost its cards from the deck.
edited by Parelle on 11/18/2015[/quote]
you can just spend vast sums of echoes. that’s what i did. I was seeking tears of the bazaar through expeditions for months and spending any actions not used for that for the newspaper, so i built up some echo stockpile.

It’s 315 romantic notions for 60 echoes, plus the others which i got from cross-conversions. in total, it costs 90 echoes each, and it costs 30 echoes more to get it this way than to get it through grinding notions. if need be, you can substitute echoes for the other teirs, too, but as it stands, it’s only 540 echoes to be able to gamble for the yacht. if the yacht is 1-in-5 you’ll spend roughly 990 echoes on reccomendations this way.

in total, on average, assuming the others you already have or have a reliable source of, you can get a yacht for 90 echoes in amber plus 990 in reccomendations plus 112.5 echoes in favors and 112.5 echoes in wine cellars.

the average yacht price, in other words, is a mere (not sarcastic) 1305 echoes. If you are playing regularly and don’t do one-of-each, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting it before the season is over.
edited by Grenem on 11/18/2015

Paying is sound tempting - let me go do the math…oh wait, look, 1000 honey?
… that said, I got it! I had just enough honey to get the 300 currently before restarting the full grind, and it paid off :) Thank you all for your help!