No compelling, coherent storyline

If you want clear payments and rewards to justify the expense, then surely you’re interested in the Salt Lions and the Merchant Venturer (both of whom clearly spell out the ROI)? Slightly less directly paying out would be the First Curator’s “Neathbow” questline in Venderbight which pays a Captivating Treasure for (almost) every color you bring him, plus a HUGE reward at the end.

But honestly, this is a game about intrinsic motivation. If you aren’t excited to see what is behind that locked option (by mousing over and seeing what you need to bring here) … if you don’t wonder “what can I do with this new item in my inventory?” … then I don’t think the style of Sunless Sea will ultimately be for you.

An interesting debate! My first instinct is to think &quotof course there’s narrative, there’s loads of narrative!&quot - but, of course, that’s coming from the perspective of having played several times through since testing began. Really, my experience of seeing the game come together’s been a narrative in itself. So, putting myself into the position of a relative newcomer, how cohesive would the game seem?

For a start, I grand that it’s at something of a disadvantage, in that two of its hinted Ambitions - and so, two central, character-defining stories - haven’t been implemented yet. Of the three that have, one is basically just a high score to reach, and the other is a rather challenging free-form item grind. But, Father’s Bones is a solid story, ties in nicely with the other major quests and has enough content to take a character from early to late game. So, that’s a great start for a new player.

Of those other major quests, well, the First Curator and the Principles of Coral are the obvious standouts. They can both be begun early, provide nice rewards to get a starting player on their feet, and stretch out long enough to provide some direction through the game. Others - I’m thinking of the Last Tour and the Empire of Hands - have strict enough requirements in terms of skills, exploration, money or cargo space that I’m inclined to put them down as mid- or late-game content.

Of the minor quests, well, they vary in depth, difficulty and reward - some are profitable grinds that lead into deeper stories (like the Salt-Lions); some are more intense story-focussed instances that end in nice rewards (like, say, Pigmote, Visage or Godfall), and some are simply little tidbits that one picks up as one sails about (like the Admiralty Commissions.)

In terms of tying these all together, well, all I can really add is that you’re playing a tramp steamer captain on an uncharted sea. That means the very definition of your role is going from port to port, seeking out opportunities. If you find an island where someone needs something - whether that’s a commodity they’re buying or a quest item they’re seeking - then you go and find that, bring it back, and profit. That’s the game’s central mechanic, and the source of the majority of its story!

As others have said, if you’re looking for an overarching storyline tying everything together then you’ll probably be disappointed - it’s not that kind of game. That said, there are longer, multi-stage stories of varying lengths and difficulties (that sometimes interlock) if you know where to look.

Hunter’s Keep is probably the earliest example I can think of (it’s a small one, but gives the general idea). Other (relatively accessible) ones include playing chess at the Principalities of Coral, and the various officer stories.

In response to your &quotwhat’s in it for me?&quot question, I can answer with one word: knowledge. The more you know about the game, the more of the content you’ll reveal, the more opportunities you will unlock, and the easier you will find it. Eventually you will reach a point where the early game survival grind is no longer an issue and you start looking for more to do. Be curious. Try things out, even if you think no good will come of it, just to see what happens. There is quite a lot of content out there, but most of the time it won’t hit you over the head - you have to go out looking for it.

I used to describe Fallen London and Sunless Sea as &quotinteractive stories&quot, but I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. I think a better description is &quotstory-based exploration games&quot.

Indeed indeed I remember quite clearly what it was like as a new player.[li]

The game has what I dub to be a &quotdeath Spiral&quot in that you need fuel to explore, explore to make money, money to buy fuel. Failure to do any of those three things will result in you grinding to a slow death. But they have recently addressed this by making port reports also give you fuel that alleviate this conundrum.

No over arching story? Not exactly, but you should look at this as many scraps of stories, fragments, if you will, that come together to knowing &quotSecrets&quot about the game (Hohoho… yes I went there.) It’s all these scraps that come together that form the foundation of the gameplay while at the same time giving you many stories to follow slowly over time.

It’s your ambition that provides the main thrust of an over arching story. Being a venerated explorer means you do just that, explore, learn secrets about the game and islands and what they provide you the player. If you’re attempting to write the song of the zee than as you explore you’ll begin to find out just what islands provide you with what you need through their own individual stories.

riches as your ambition?

Embrace the road of the merchant, figure out how you can turn a Firkin of Prisoner Honey into Parabola-Linen (It is possible!). Talk to the Venture Merchant and feel your confidence swell when he asks you to fetch a particular item and a plan for a trade route comes unbidden to your head. Or, you could embrace more unsavory elements of the Zee in your search for coin. Zail to the Isle of Cats and unlock the illegal trade of Red-Honey, or, See what the cheerful man has in store for you as you complete tasks for the blind-bruiser.

Are you thinking about how in the world to raise your stats?

Zail to the hinterlands of London and ponder upon the mysteries of station III. Avoid albino moray’s as you sail within the Principles of Coral and help a pleading voice. The pirate monks of GodFall brawl and boom their songs but pray you don’t fall into darkness within the shattered citadel. Kneel, or spit upon the altars in the House of Forgotten Question in Whither. Hunt a Savage Lorn-Fluke and rip the core from their carcass. Have dinner with your officers and see how you can help the Bandaged Poisonner achieve the perfect meal for the Fathom-King. Or, help the genial magician reenact revenge on the king of the dream world.

I have not done Your Father’s bones, but think all this like so:

Game Mechanics, or goals, are the glue that shape all these little stories together on the zee. You just need to start a captain and say &quotI want to do x&quot and pursue that even if you gurgle salt water

I don’t believe that this game is about stories, I believe it’s about the journey that you take as a captain on the waves, the things you encounter, and the things that you do, exploring the darkness out there and seeing further, going to the edge of the world and beyond. It’s about living on the waves and doing day to day things, rather than having a massive arc to work down. Not every story can be something along the lines of Master and Commander or Moby Dick, Willard Prices Whale adventure, or the Old man and the Sea, but when you read most of those books, the majority of them were in the sailing every day, the hunting and the keeping the ship well. While all those stories ended in a single climactic burst, the main part of it was in the every day sailing and I feel that playing this should be like that, the running of the ship every day while working towards a grand purpose (the Fathers bones storyline for example), and as for the reason to go out there, it’s because you love the sea, no other reason, if you don’t like exploring, don’t go there 

I was inspired by this so much I wrote a novella on it (Here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9723-in-iron-clad--a-sunless-sea-novella.aspx), and I’m writing the rest of it now, because being out there and finding new things is what inspires me about this.