Nex?

I have 0 Nex, for some reason. What is Nex? Is this a tie in with StoryNexus or something to do with the Kickstarter or something?

That’s nothing Kickstarter-related. As you guessed, that’s another indicator of StoryNexus’ progress…[/quote]

The way I’ve seen it explained is Nex will be replacing Fate as a action-refreshing and premium-content-purchasing currency that can be used across any StoryNexus world (including Fallen London). Your Nex pool is tied to your account, not a world or character.

Fate will still be usable if you already have it, but no longer purchasable.

Does that mean that completing various storylets will give out Nex now rather than Fate?

That seems likely. I get the impression Failbetter would prefer to remove those events but, again, that’s just the impression I have.

I do hope they will have free Nex options like the Fate ones.

I got more the idea that they may still give out free fate which can only be used in FL. But they won’t give out free nex as that could destroy the economy of small games. But yes Fate will be as far as I know no longer purchasable.

So, I’m down to 5 Fate. I was thinking of buying more. I’m now wondering if I should wait, and buy Nex instead.

Failbetter have already answered this in the How Storynexus Will Work thread by saying that there will not ever be free Nex, in any world. Which makes sense, since it’s a cross-world currency. Otherwise some unscrupulous user of the dev tools could create an option to exchange a low-value item for absurd amounts of Nex and make a headache for Failbetter and all of the other Storynexus authors who want their fair share of tips.

Failbetter have already answered this in the How Storynexus Will Work thread by saying that there will not ever be free Nex, in any world. Which makes sense, since it’s a cross-world currency. Otherwise some unscrupulous user of the dev tools could create an option to exchange a low-value item for absurd amounts of Nex and make a headache for Failbetter and all of the other Storynexus authors who want their fair share of tips.[/quote]

I read “free Nex options” as meaning migrating the SuperRewards offer-based earning of Fate to earn Nex instead, rather than the only way to get Nex being to pay. I don’t think it meant in-game events, like the occasional storylets that give a single point of Fate now, giving Nex. Assuming my reading is correct, I share that hope - most of my Fate has been gained from SR video-watching.

Failbetter have already answered this in the How Storynexus Will Work thread by saying that there will not ever be free Nex, in any world. Which makes sense, since it’s a cross-world currency. Otherwise some unscrupulous user of the dev tools could create an option to exchange a low-value item for absurd amounts of Nex and make a headache for Failbetter and all of the other Storynexus authors who want their fair share of tips.[/quote]

I read “free Nex options” as meaning migrating the SuperRewards offer-based earning of Fate to earn Nex instead, rather than the only way to get Nex being to pay. I don’t think it meant in-game events, like the occasional storylets that give a single point of Fate now, giving Nex. Assuming my reading is correct, I share that hope - most of my Fate has been gained from SR video-watching.[/quote]

Yes, this is what I meant, but if it were to mess up in-game economies, then I, at least, hope that the free Fate offers stay, even if they stop selling Fate.

I wonder if we’re still going to be able to use a ‘gift of fate’ option to give someone fate, when we have Nex now…

I read “free Nex options” as meaning migrating the SuperRewards offer-based earning of Fate to earn Nex instead, rather than the only way to get Nex being to pay. I don’t think it meant in-game events, like the occasional storylets that give a single point of Fate now, giving Nex. Assuming my reading is correct, I share that hope - most of my Fate has been gained from SR video-watching.[/quote]

Yes, this is what I meant, but if it were to mess up in-game economies, then I, at least, hope that the free Fate offers stay, even if they stop selling Fate.[/quote]
I think they will. But I also think Failbetter haven’t communicated this clearly (that while most transactions will be in Nex, the occasional point of Fate will still be rewarded to FL players). I’m trying to get this very point (that it is needlessly simplistic to suggest Nex is replacing Fate) across to them in the relevant blog comment thread…

SuperRewards offer-based earnings will probably be switched over to Nex (if it isn’t already), but Failbetter have gone on record to say they want to get rid of them altogether (since these apparently cause more support calls than they’re worth).

They have also said that while Nex can’t ever be handed out by game creators, they have not ruled out a future possibility for specific games to add their own Fate:ish currency (i.e. specific to that one game only) that could then be handed out with no bad implications for any other game or game creator. I guess the question is “will anyone actually want to do that” since everyone else but FBG will still have to pay the cut FBG is taking…

[color=#6633ff]We’ll go through your questions soon - in the meantime, do please see this blog post for more information.[/color]
edited by Emily St Aubert on 8/17/2012

[color=00ffff]Hi all - I hope I’ve addressed the key questions from this thread, below: [/color]
[color=00ffff]

What is Nex?[/color]

[color=00ffff]It’s our new currency for Fallen London and StoryNexus games. Read more in this blog entry.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]Will Fallen London storylets give out Nex rather than Fate now?[/color]
[color=00ffff]No - those storylets will still give out Fate, which can still be spent in Fallen London. Nex will never be given away for completing stories - the blog post above explains why.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]Will the SuperRewards free Fate offers continue? Will they give Nex or Fate?[/color]
[color=00ffff]They’ll give Nex. However, we want to turn off the free offers in the near future. They make us very little money and cause us significant support issues when offers don’t pay out.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]I want to buy more in-game currency. Should I wait to buy Nex instead of Fate?[/color]
[color=00ffff]Nex is already live, so there’s no need to wait! If you purchase currency now, you’ll get Nex.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]Will the ‘Gift of Fate’ options still exist in Fallen London, and will they grant Fate or Nex?[/color]
[color=00ffff]They do still exist - they grant the recipient Fate to be spent in Fallen London.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
edited by Chris Gardiner on 8/17/2012

Unless I’m missing something, you’ll already be able to do that as soon as FBG adds nex-locks to the creator’s tools. Just create an ubercoin quality and make a storylet that allows players to exchange Nex for ubercoins. Then, block off your actual content with ubercoin gates instead of Nex gates. That way, you can hand out as much of your premium currency as you like!

Thank you. This is exactly the clarification I wished for.

Please note: Over at your blog,

[quote]Alexis Kennedy on August 17, 2012 at 6:34 am said:
Nex.[/quote]

Your reply and Alexis’ contradicts each other’s.

So essentially this will convert Nex into Fate. Presumably a one-way street.

Please ensure this is very clear on the cards/actions involved: That no matter if I have Fate or Nex to give; the recipient will still get Fate, and won’t be able to use his or her gift outside of Fallen London.

Cheers!

[quote=ZappBasker][quote=Chris Gardiner]
Your reply and Alexis’ contradicts each other’s.
[/quote]
[color=00ffff]My brain thinks one thing, my fingers do another - I’ll edit my post.[/color]