Newbie Question: Wounds?

I’ve only been playing a few weeks, and after trying to go after Jack of Smiles, I’ve been tossed around quite a bit. I searched the forums and found lots of answers to the effect of &quotgo back to your lodgings and choose ‘Time in Bed.’ &quot So I go to &quotlodgings,&quot and get nothing. Strangely enough, the &quotTime in Bed&quot option only appears in &quotYour Social Engagements,&quot and it comes with restrictions:

<iframe src=&quothttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4FwQTp6XejS8E5EO28oMq2QOuQUHqyq/preview&quot width=&quot640&quot height=&quot480&quot></iframe>
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4FwQTp6XejS8E5EO28oMq2QOuQUHqyq/preview

(BTW, I’ve tried every way I can to embed a screenshot, and nothing seems to work. If anyone knows how to embed a Google Drive link in a forum post, that would be much appreciated as well.)

Yes, I realize I’m out of actions – that’s not the issue. Why is resting in bed alone by myself a &quotSocial Engagement,&quot that requires me to to have &quotvistors,&quot a book, or &quotThe Sardonic Music Hall Singer&quot? I don’t want visitors, a book, or a music hall singer – I just want to lie in bed for a day or two until my bruises heal up. Is there any straight &quotrest and heal your wounds&quot option?
edited by robb8888 on 7/24/2020

The storylet was previously located in Your Lodgings, thus the previous answers indicating this. It has been moved relatively recently to Your Social Engagements as too many storylets were in the Lodgings.

As for visits you don’t need them but they provide additional bonuses so if you want to use your actions efficiently you may just need to suck it up and accept the help. Otherwise you can just rest on your own, although the book example is one of those. You’re limited to the options you have, there’s no special options.

Thank you! But I’m still not quite getting it, I don’t think. In Your Social Engagements–>Attend to Matters of Danger and Wounds–>Time in Bed, I have these options:

&quotA Succession of Visitors&quot – requires me to be lucky to be able to rest in bed (?!?)
&quotCurled Up With A Book&quot – requires me to actually have a book, which I don’t have and am too poor to afford
&quotA Visit from the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer&quot – requires me to know this person, and I don’t
&quotA Remarkable Tincture&quot – requires 8 Fate (i.e., real-world money, which I’ve not yet figured out if I want to spend)

(I wish I could post a screenshot, but I can’t figure out how to do that on these forums, either, which is frustrating. I post images all the time on the Board Game Geek forums, which have a similar interface, but much more robust (or at least more intuitive) image-posting options.)

All of these options actually aren’t lying in bed and going to sleep – they’re having visitors, reading a book, and/or taking drugs. Is there no plain-old &quotPut the do-not-disturb sign on the door and go to bed&quot option? Does it require some special status that I don’t have, so I’m not even being presented with it as a choice?
edited by robb8888 on 7/24/2020

Well, fate you usually don’t want to spend for dealing with menaces, unless you’re on a hurry, or you pobably got to much money.

Besides that, the available options for “Time in Bed” depends on your “Airs of London” quality.
If you want to see all available options with results, take a look at the wiki: https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Time_in_bed

The failure from the Visitors option is almost as effective as the success. None of the possible options in that storylet can increase your wounds, if that’s what you were worried about.

You also don’t lose the Journal of Infamy and it isn’t hard to access. Just convert Cryptic Clues into Appalling Secrets into Journals.

[quote=robb8888]Thank you! But I’m still not quite getting it, I don’t think. In Your Social Engagements–>Attend to Matters of Danger and Wounds–>Time in Bed, I have these options:

&quotA Succession of Visitors&quot – requires me to be lucky to be able to rest in bed (?!?)
&quotCurled Up With A Book&quot – requires me to actually have a book, which I don’t have and am too poor to afford
&quotA Visit from the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer&quot – requires me to know this person, and I don’t
&quotA Remarkable Tincture&quot – requires 8 Fate (i.e., real-world money, which I’ve not yet figured out if I want to spend)

(I wish I could post a screenshot, but I can’t figure out how to do that on these forums, either, which is frustrating. I post images all the time on the Board Game Geek forums, which have a similar interface, but much more robust (or at least more intuitive) image-posting options.)

All of these options actually aren’t lying in bed and going to sleep – they’re having visitors, reading a book, and/or taking drugs. Is there no plain-old &quotPut the do-not-disturb sign on the door and go to bed&quot option? Does it require some special status that I don’t have, so I’m not even being presented with it as a choice?
edited by robb8888 on 7/24/2020[/quote]

The &quotTime in Bed&quot options change randomly a bit. I believe one of them is simply to sleep, but you can’t count on that one coming up every time. Oh, wait, here’s a list of them from the Fallen London Wiki: https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Time_in_bed

Dreamless Sleep is the best one, available when Airs of London is 90+. You can mark anything with an Airs of London requirement as a plan, then at any time go to the Plans tab and mouse over it to see what your current value is.

Every time it changes I look at the current value and at my menaces. I’ll take Dreamless Sleep any time it’s available and I can get the full benefit. Same with Confound the Constables under Opportunism in Spite (Airs <=25, -4CP Suspicion).

Thank you all for your generous assistance!