New Zubmariner trade routes

Has anybody found new and lucrative ways of making money with the markets opened under the Zee? I haven’t gone through and done a full survey of all the various prices yet, but for me at the very least Aigul spawned right off the coast of Port Carnelian so filling up on coffee for 38 echoes a piece and then sailing 45 seconds north, diving, and selling for 44 a piece seems like a good run. Anybody stumble over similar things?

In the irc spacemarine9 said they hadn’t seen anyone comment on the real power of the new shops. So maybe there’s something.

I haven’t worked it much, as typically I play a hunting captain, but I have the distinct impression that the profitability of a merchant-style captain has been substantially improved in zubmariner.

(I’m also obsessing over testing whether or not using underzee currents as roads can make a trip faster than travelling it via the surface, which relates to profits/time)

[quote=absimiliard](I’m also obsessing over testing whether or not using underzee currents as roads can make a trip faster than travelling it via the surface, which relates to profits/time)[/quote]How do you recognize those currents? I don’t remember seeing anything like it (but I’ve only dived a couple of times until now)

So there’s two things, most noticeably there is a visual effect of green-ish swirly lines that seem to move in a direction, like a slide-walk, generally they originate in swirly green “things” that I can’t really describe well and end in the same swirly “things”. (they’re kind of like mixed up whirlpool kind of things)

If you put your zub in them you can watch the second way to find them, which is to see if you are moved when you have your engines off.

Mechanically it’s clear they’re adding a vector to your course. So you can speed up, or be slowed, or be skewed sideways by them. I use them to fight fairly often, finding a location where the current bends and leading monsters into it while I am beyond it past that corner – the result is that the monster tries to swim at me but can’t progress and I sit there shooting at it until it dies. It’s a tricky fighting style, but when I’ve pulled it off it’s pretty fun.

Selling meat from the Gant Pole to the Chelonate (200 echoes a barrel) is pretty good, especially as they’re about an inch away from each other on my map!

Selling meat isn’t quite so conveniently repeatable though.

[quote=absimiliard]
Mechanically it’s clear they’re adding a vector to your course. So you can speed up, or be slowed, or be skewed sideways by them. I use them to fight fairly often, finding a location where the current bends and leading monsters into it while I am beyond it past that corner – the result is that the monster tries to swim at me but can’t progress and I sit there shooting at it until it dies. It’s a tricky fighting style, but when I’ve pulled it off it’s pretty fun.[/quote]
That’s a really great idea! I’ll have to see if I can pull it off :)

[quote=Optimatum]
That’s a really great idea! I’ll have to see if I can pull it off :)[/quote]

It’s very opportunistic. Don’t go searching for a current if you have a monster, rather, if you’re near a current use it. Most fights won’t have the right terrain, but when you do it’s quite fun. (not sure if it’s &quotbetter&quot, but I quite enjoy watching them flail and fail to close as I cut them to bits with my guns)

Buy a drowning pearl at Dahut ($30), trade them for two Solacefruit at Gaider’s Mourn, which sell at $50 apiece. You can only do it once per visit, but it’s still a decent profit.

Scrimshander buys hunting trophies at $65 a pop. I think that’s the best price in the game? I always have 15-20 in my hold, so it’s nice to clear them out.

If your the trading type, buying a ton of firkin of prisoner honey (25E each) then trading them for carboy of primordial shrieks at Gant Pole and then sell em for 37E at the Chelonate. Or you could further trade those carboys for Mutersalt at Scrimshander then trade those for 50E each in London.

Or gather a ton of bales of parabola Linen and sell them at Dahut for 66E a pop.
edited by Cpt.ErikTheWhite on 10/17/2016

I know the old standby of wine to coffee in Empire of Hands, and into Parabola Linen at Irem has been marginally improved. You can sell that Parabola Linen for 66 echoes in Dahut, instead of the standard 60 in London (or 63 if you wanted to trek all the way down to Adam’s Way).

What ended up making me an absurd amount of money was hanging out with the old zailors in the Gant Pole and sharing zee stories. This resulted in a mountain of Extraordinary Implications. It also means a quick trip north to Irem will see you buried in more Searing Enigmas than you know what to do with. I use searing enigmas to light my cigars now.
edited by Scienceandponies on 10/17/2016

[quote=Scienceandponies]
What ended up making me an absurd amount of money was hanging out with the old zailors in the Gant Pole and sharing zee stories. This resulted in a mountain of Extraordinary Implications. It also means a quick trip north to Irem will see you buried in more Searing Enigmas than you know what to do with. I use searing enigmas to light my cigars now.
edited by Scienceandponies on 10/17/2016[/quote]

This! Currently sat on over 100k echoes by running stygian ivory to wither to turn into tales of terror, then to irem to trade tales for zee ztories, then to the gant pole to transform into Ex. Implicatons. The gant pole turn in also gives you back 3 ToT’s to add to the routes efficiency and you can turn in the Ex. Imps while trading at Irem. Just wish there was a way to easily sell intriguing snippets now…

[quote=Chafe][quote=Scienceandponies]

This! Currently sat on over 100k echoes by running stygian ivory to wither to turn into tales of terror, then to irem to trade tales for zee ztories, then to the gant pole to transform into Ex. Implicatons. The gant pole turn in also gives you back 3 ToT’s to add to the routes efficiency and you can turn in the Ex. Imps while trading at Irem. Just wish there was a way to easily sell intriguing snippets now…[/quote]

Yeah, my intriguing snippets have been ballooning out of control. Sadly, the only use I’ve found for them other than turning them into the Scholar one at a time for 50 echoes a piece is in Anthe, using them on a 50% luck challenge for either 3 terror reduction or nothing at all, and that’s hardly better than just throwing them away.

[quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Chafe][quote=Scienceandponies]

This! Currently sat on over 100k echoes by running stygian ivory to wither to turn into tales of terror, then to irem to trade tales for zee ztories, then to the gant pole to transform into Ex. Implicatons. The gant pole turn in also gives you back 3 ToT’s to add to the routes efficiency and you can turn in the Ex. Imps while trading at Irem. Just wish there was a way to easily sell intriguing snippets now…[/quote]

Yeah, my intriguing snippets have been ballooning out of control. Sadly, the only use I’ve found for them other than turning them into the Scholar one at a time for 50 echoes a piece is in Anthe, using them on a 50% luck challenge for either 3 terror reduction or nothing at all, and that’s hardly better than just throwing them away.[/quote]
It is kind of absurd that you can earn 100K and a ton of Searing Enigmas from these trade routes when A Drop of Darkness and the Sunlight trade are both limited - by a hard sales limit and Yearning Burning respectively. I’m all for profitable and highly intricate trade routes, but this sounds rather OP to me.

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Chafe][quote=Scienceandponies]

Yeah, my intriguing snippets have been ballooning out of control. Sadly, the only use I’ve found for them other than turning them into the Scholar one at a time for 50 echoes a piece is in Anthe, using them on a 50% luck challenge for either 3 terror reduction or nothing at all, and that’s hardly better than just throwing them away.[/quote]
It is kind of absurd that you can earn 100K and a ton of Searing Enigmas from these trade routes when A Drop of Darkness and the Sunlight trade are both limited - by a hard sales limit and Yearning Burning respectively. I’m all for profitable and highly intricate trade routes, but this sounds rather OP to me.[/quote]

I think there might be some kind of soft limit, in the form of repeated visits to the center for the Gant pole requiring increasingly difficult hearts checks to leave (not sure what happens if you fail since I discovered it pretty late and only did a few runs before finishing that game). Then again, the quality that increases that difficulty seems to be from feasting with the zailors, and I don’t remember if it increases at all from visiting them in the center, and once you’re there, you can convert however many zee stories you have with you (in groups of 5) without any change. It is still pretty OP, even if failing the hearts challenge resulted in an instant captain death.

I’m glad we’re in agreement ^^
;
One way of dealing with that might be to make sharing the zee stories require increasing pages checks up to a certain limit. If you fail the checks you lose the stories and something modestly bad happens to you - like, they tell you something terrifying and your terror goes up. That and or make it so you can only tell them so many stories, just as you can only sell so much coffee to that Viennese cafe.
edited by Anne Auclair on 10/18/2016

As it stands currently failing the hearts check adds terror equal to your secrets of old zailors quality (or whatever its called). Its not much of a penalty really, especially with the chelonate so close.
As to the route being op, it kinda is, its certainly better than any existing one mostly because of less having to individually click stuff on the better ones from the original game (I’m looking at you empire of hands). The original routes let you earn as much as you wanted (you could just about triple through on mushroom wine - coffee - linen) it was just a real pain because of the poor interface, this lets you do the same, just without contracting rsi.
edited by Chafe on 10/18/2016
edited by Chafe on 10/18/2016

It’s way too OP.
edited by Anne Auclair on 10/18/2016

If this route makes it easy to get Extraordinary Implications, it could be a good way into the huge-scale grind of selling Dreadful Surmises in the Iron Republic and buying them in Irem.