New Sunless Sea Art Pack/Skin Download

[color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]Hi Captains,[/color]

[color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]I put together an art pack to enhance the art in Sunless Sea. This is about 100 images that replaces most of the port and character art. It does not replace the overhead art of travelling (because I couldn’t find it to replace). I hope you will enjoy this change as much as I do, I find it makes a HUGE improvement in the already awesome atmosphere of the ports. [/color]
[color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]
If you like this pack, please feel free to respond to this post, I’d love to hear about it (and know if there is an audience for this sort of thing).
[/color]
[color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]
To the developers, you should release the program that you use to design the rest of the game and storylines to modders. That way I can mod the entire game into an episodic space horror, with the islands as planets (my day job is a horror novelist)! I could call it &quotSunless Space&quot (well, probably a better title than that, but you get the idea).
[/color]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][color=#009900][content used without artists’ permission - admin deleted link][/color]

[/font][color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]Regards,[/color]

[color=rgb(219, 219, 219)]Captain Skyfish[/color]
edited by Alexis on 4/13/2015

Here’s a preview so you don’t have to download a 155 MB file without knowing what’s inside.

Nice of you to include the links to the artist because a lot of people don’t bother with that.

The pictures are pretty but the style is super inconsistent in a bad way. A lot of locations and characters has very specific details so they are unsuitable for a generic art replacement. Like Irem, etc.

If you want to make your own game I recommend you head over to StoryNexus, that’s the engine they use for the story. You won’t get the sailing part though but you’d have a lot more freedom.

Haha, the guy that you picked as the Dark-Spectacled Admiral is the Corinthian from Neil Gaiman’s Sandman…I don’t think his personality suits though.

… do you have permission from the artists to do this? If there are IP issues, I can’t see this being endorsed by Failbetter…

Also what’s the deal with your Installation Guide saying things like “Because as great a game as Sunless Sea is, the graphics are…well…I mean it’s an indie game so probably they ran out of money.” Like wow, rude. There are a few more jabs at failbetter and indie devs like that in your documentation that are really out of place in what should be a technical manual.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]
The pictures are pretty but the style is super inconsistent in a bad way. [/quote]

Agreed. The art style is one of the things that initially drew me to sunless sea. High fidelity graphics take a back seat to artistic and aesthetic consistency in games. Sunless sea is fairly consistent with its art style. There are a few graphics I feel could use some improvement but, in general, I feel the style is fairly well put together.

The art pack, however, is very inconsistent, and I can’t see myself enjoying playing the game with it. Inconsistency detracts from the immersion of the game.

Yeah that’s true. Actually it was the first one I did, as the test run. It just kind of stuck.

Yes I do, I went and got written contract permission from all 100 artists whose art I used. It took a while, but it was worth it, for all the helpful and thoughtful feedback. Also, then I went to Failbetter Games, who to my surprise told me they didn’t even care if the artists gave permission or not. They said that since they were American artists, and Failbetter is a British company, that we deserve to get robbed because of the Revolution and that we owe them 200 years of tea taxes in any event. Which I thought was pretty ballsy, but I kind of respected it in a way.

Anyway, thank you for your excellent question.

Yes I do, I went and got written contract permission from all 100 artists whose art I used. It took a while, but it was worth it, for all the helpful and thoughtful feedback. Also, then I went to Failbetter Games, who to my surprise told me they didn’t even care if the artists gave permission or not. They said that since they were American artists, and Failbetter is a British company, that we deserve to get robbed because of the Revolution and that we owe them 200 years of tea taxes in any event. Which I thought was pretty ballsy, but I kind of respected it in a way.

Anyway, thank you for your excellent question.[/quote]

Yikes. You start off demanding and insulting of the game makers themselves and end up insulting to your potential audience. You’ll go far.

[quote=Captain Skyfish]Also, then I went to Failbetter Games, who to my surprise told me they didn’t even care if the artists gave permission or not. They said that since they were American artists, and Failbetter is a British company, that we deserve to get robbed because of the Revolution and that we owe them 200 years of tea taxes in any event. Which I thought was pretty ballsy, but I kind of respected it in a way.
[/quote]

I am thinking there is probably some miscommunication. Are you sure they said that, or are you trying to make a witty joke?

In any case Failbetters indeed don’t need to care about mods as long s they don’t host them - it is like if I took a horror novel you wrote and make a e-book with images taken online, you are not responsible if I took images without getting permission.

I wish I have magic pacificating power because you clearly did put a lot into this and is just stressed out over the lukewarm reaction for your effort and I kinda feel bad for you. Although I also feel very sad for the guy that gave you criticism because you just told him he is worthless. Don’t be mean! Creative people need thick skins.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 4/13/2015
edited by Estelle Knoht on 4/13/2015

[color=#009900]We didn’t say that. We don’t police mods, obviously, but we can’t ignore someone using other people’s IP without permission and then insulting community members who point it out. I’m locking this thread and deleting the original link. Captain S - good luck with future mods, but do take a deep breath before posting flames.[/color]