New Numismatrix Content

Finally got my ss3 to 4 card, but while raising my counting the days, a scrolling mishap caused me to end my acquaintance with the regretful soldier. Anyone know how to get it back? I don’t even remember making the acquaintance in the first place.

I’m almost certain that he came up initially as a card, just like the Forger and the Singer. I’m willing to bet that once you’ve reset that quality, that card will start coming up in the deck for you again.

(Much like whichever Constant Companion you don’t choose. I keep getting “Remember the Artist’s Model?” Yes I do, because she WON’T GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE. Ahem.)

The card appears in Watchmaker’s Hill, I think, but I’m not 100% sure…

You can always pick the “Rekindle the Romance” option and ignore the storylet from then on out. It will prevent the card from continuing to show up. Worse comes to worse you can always cancel the storylet any time you want.

Thanks! I actually just got it there :)

It appears that for suitably Bohemian people, there may be a route through this that requires only the final card in regards to random luck.

• Play dice at wolfstack until CtD 6.
  • Hunt for curios in the Forgotten Quarter until CtD 10.
  • Take part in An Unusual Competition at the Shuttered Palace until CTD 12.
  • Drop in on the Wry Functionary until CTD 14.
  • Wait for your card.

Limitations:
You must be aligned with a faction that can play dice at Wolfstack.
You must have the Wry Functionary’s ear. (Or be a master thief with access to the university on the Light Fingers ambition. Yep.)
You must not be soulless. (Though the Music-Hall Singer can take this place I think.)
There may be something that closes off the quarter’s spending secrets option, but if there is, it has not yet been found to my knowledge.

In short, it seems that being on the side of the shadier elements of london may be a distinct advantage here.

[quote=wergeldt]It appears that for suitably Bohemian people, there may be a route through this that requires only the final card in regards to random luck.

• Play dice at wolfstack until CtD 6.
  • Hunt for curios in the Forgotten Quarter until CtD 10.
  • Take part in An Unusual Competition at the Shuttered Palace until CTD 12.
  • Drop in on the Wry Functionary until CTD 14.
  • Wait for your card.

Limitations:
You must be aligned with a faction that can play dice at Wolfstack.
You must have the Wry Functionary’s ear. (Or be a master thief with access to the university on the Light Fingers ambition. Yep.)
You must not be soulless. (Though the Music-Hall Singer can take this place I think.)
There may be something that closes off the quarter’s spending secrets option, but if there is, it has not yet been found to my knowledge.

In short, it seems that being on the side of the shadier elements of london may be a distinct advantage here.[/quote]
Is the shuttered palace worth unlocking early if I can afford the wines if I want to raise my CTD from 10 to 12 without waiting for cards? My persuasive is 42, so it isn’t that far from the 61 required to open more actions.

On a somewhat related note, should I try to spend memories of distant shores to get to the university, or would I be able to rely on cards taking me there for my Nemesis ambition? (Assuming I’ll need to go to the university to get my CtD from 12 to 14)

[quote=Cheeseyx]
Is the shuttered palace worth unlocking early if I can afford the wines if I want to raise my CTD from 10 to 12 without waiting for cards? My persuasive is 42, so it isn’t that far from the 61 required to open more actions.

On a somewhat related note, should I try to spend memories of distant shores to get to the university, or would I be able to rely on cards taking me there for my Nemesis ambition? (Assuming I’ll need to go to the university to get my CtD from 12 to 14)[/quote]

No, it’s not really worth it. You’ll get day trip cards, for at least the University, and won’t be able to do anything in either location other than the uber-rare success at impossible levels. But that is based on my experience with early unlocking the Forgotten Quarter.

~MF

[quote=Maurna Frost][quote=Cheeseyx]

On a somewhat related note, should I try to spend memories of distant shores to get to the university, or would I be able to rely on cards taking me there for my Nemesis ambition? (Assuming I’ll need to go to the university to get my CtD from 12 to 14)[/quote]

No, it’s not really worth it. You’ll get day trip cards, for at least the University, and won’t be able to do anything in either location other than the uber-rare success at impossible levels. But that is based on my experience with early unlocking the Forgotten Quarter.

~MF[/quote]

Actually, I quite liked going to the forgotten quarter early; I built up quite a large stash of relics of the fourth city there. I sold a bunch, but still have over 300.

It’s probably not worth unlocking early. If you spend the time to get there normally, you’ll probably gain the Wry Functionary as an acquaintance along the way, thus solving the university issue as well.

You can always pick the “Rekindle the Romance” option and ignore the storylet from then on out. It will prevent the card from continuing to show up. Worse comes to worse you can always cancel the storylet any time you want.[/quote]

Alas, that isn’t an option. The only option on the card is “Let it go” which gets me 35 cryptic clues.

I think I’d have to split up with the Master Jewel Thief before the “Rekindle the Romance” option will reappear.

[quote=vixy]
Alas, that isn’t an option. The only option on the card is “Let it go” which gets me 35 cryptic clues.

I think I’d have to split up with the Master Jewel Thief before the “Rekindle the Romance” option will reappear.[/quote]
That’s odd. I have both of them dangling at the Sidestreets while I already have a constant companion. Maybe it’s just if you pick one then you can’t get rid of the card for the other? Or maybe they just fixed that exploit a while back.

It does look that way. I also keep having the useless card coming up all the time. It’s been that way ever since I got my Devout Intriguer, dropping the Artist’s Model to do so. Previously, I’d had them both active as storylets before I chose someone, which simplified the whole thing tremendously. Alas, she didn’t take rejection well and keeps coming back. By now, I just want to feed her to Mr. Sacks.

I’ll note that one of the final options allowing you to trade in a Mark of Credit Page - the one open to the Criminals faction - is also open to the Tomb-Colonists faction. The result raises four different connection qualities, so my guess is that the following four factions are acceptable:
Criminals
Hell
Revolutionaries
Tomb-Colonists

Another option is open to Bohemians; I’m curious which other Factions will also have access.

Perhaps it has been discussed in the thread already and I’ve missed it, but does anyone know if you can continue to go through the Numismatrix cycle after you’ve procured the instrument?

I don’t see why not, there’s still loot to be had.

having failed the luck challenge for getting a mark of credit, and having my Counting the Days quality reset on me as a result, I have to agree with nigel that it’s infuriating to have all that effort wasted.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could get something during those actions that you build Counting the Days. Sadly, I have yet to find anything that gives me more than relationship points with my various Acquaintances. Since those can’t be traded in for anything of real value, it essentially costs you 22 actions to use the card. So, the results of using the card need to be worth 22 actions or so.
Alas but this is not so. The best result is 9.99 Echoes for those 22 actions, which is a mere 45.41 pennies/action. If you’re able to run this story reliably, you can do better than that. You can trade in a Mark for more than that, but since it costs 22 actions to get to the point of maybe getting a Mark; it’s not certain that you’ll get it at all; and it’ll cost another 22 actions to trade it in - well, that’s just not a sane thing to do. (The default trade in of a Mark is 12E of goods. If it was a guarantee of success on getting the Mark, that’d average 27.27 pennies/action. Since it’s not guaranteed that you’ll get the Mark, you’re actually getting even less than this!)
At least there is an instrument to be had.

Just got my faction- choosing card… I’m gonna keep it safe until I decide which one ^^ (Suggestions? Bohemians would seem a sound choice judging from the past posts, but I’m more of a Great Game character type, and Great Game allows for dice playin in Wolfstack too). Also, is there a way to change faction alignment after you chose one?

I chose the Great Game, but cannot dice on the quayside, as some had previously stated they could. Methinks they partially fixed some of the broken alignment unlocks.

That said, I do think it’s weird that the required alignment for the storylet is Bohemians still. Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be Docks?