New Forums Software: Your Thoughts

Yay! \o/

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]Hey gang. We’re doing a test run for migrating the data from this forum to the new one, so things are progressing! I’ll let you know when there’s more news.[/color][/quote]Uhu, congratulations! Can’t wait to see how Discourse will feel vs these old forums.

This just popped in my head, but will these forums still be temporary available after the switch?

[color=#0066ff]I don’t think they will be available in a way you can access, but we won’t complete the switch until we’re sure everything is working. Is there a reason why you’d like them to be?[/color]

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]I don’t think they will be available in a way you can access, but we won’t complete the switch until we’re sure everything is working. Is there a reason why you’d like them to be?[/color][/quote]The only reason would be to compare them side by side and leave them as an archive for future generations (old.reddit vs www.reddit).

I was always curious about FLs history, but never moved a muscle to record it in any way. :( The old map, the pre-React UI, the very old map and UI, art’s evolution and so on.

[color=#0066ff]OIC. I think the threads and information will be saved, so we’ll only really lose the look of the thing?[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Talking of which, work continues to migrate everything to Discourse, which hasn’t been straightforward but we’ve made progress this week and hope to have an update soon! (I’m on leave next week, so not super soon, but… soon.)[/color]

Sometime before Fallen London enters the 20th Century? :D

I hope our “thumbs up” tallies carry over!

It’ll be worth it, IMO. Really glad this is happening. Being able to discover if there is already an existing relevant thread when I have something to post is a priority feature, to me. So is a better mobile version (one that’s more consistent with the desktop version) as I only ever play on a tablet, where the current system of tagging spoilers doesn’t work.

I guess this is the main reason there wasn’t an obvious link from the homepage to the forums for a while?

[color=#0066ff]Hello friends![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We are excited to let you know that we are almost done with moving the forums over to Discourse.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The look and feel will be a bit different, though we expect to retain the ‘dark mode’ appearance. The more lyrical names for subforums will sadly be lost in the transfer due to the structure imposed by Discourse, but they’ll be renamed in ways which make them helpful for new members to understand. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The cutoff date for posting on this version of the forums is 23rd May. So anything posted here on that day (and after) will not be copied over to the new forums. We expect to begin the transfer work the next day, and for that to take at least a day to complete.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]After that, we’ll deal with any emerging trouble with existing content, tidy up historic posts which people refer to most, and so on. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Exciting times![/color]

May 23rd is Post Into The Void Day, got it. I’ll be sure to post all those threads I have saved up which I don’t want saved for posterity. Perhaps now I’ll be free of them.

This may be a stupid question but what is the URL for the new forums? I’ve looked at various threads but can’t find it listed anywhere.

Don’t worry - the new forums aren’t live yet! We’re still using these ones until the new ones are ready. The only issue is that anything posted in the few days’ transition period won’t be archived and imported to the new ones.

We are in the transition period! Trumpets etc!

Eventually, the new forums will exist on the community.failbettergames.com address. This is the last thing we’ll be doing, when the rest of our work on the transfer is done.

A few things to note:

• Your current password will not work! You’ll need to reset it. Now is a good time to make sure you can access the email associated with your account.
  • Some things might look a bit off while we settle in and make some look and feel choices.
  • Up and downvotes will not be carried over. The data isn’t compatible with the Discourse system that replaces it, which is just ‘likes’ rather than a +/- vote.
  • Signatures aren’t supported on Discourse. We suggest that you place the info from your signatures regarding social acts etc in your new profile.

Thanks all, and see you on the other side!

:wave:t2: :partying_face: :tada:

Doesn’t look too different from before on first glance! That should help with finding our ways around quickly…

I do hope formatting in old posts will carry over in some way eventually… otherwise we’ll be left with a lot of [color=#0066ff][/color] and the like!

1 Like

The mobile view looks quite different, in fact. I suppose I will get used to it.

Looks ok, but all the old formatting is filled with [color] [/color]! Wonder if there’s a way to clean it up…

The rich editor doesn’t seem to have a button to choose a text color. But I wonder…

blue?

Preview doesn’t look like it, but we’ll see once I post.

This is kind of neat, though: The time is now 2022-05-27T18:55:00Z. Next Star wars day, for me, will start at 2023-05-04T07:00:01Z.

Will be very handy when people ask for start/end times of events. Bone market world qualities will next change on 2022-05-24T11:00:00Z.

Very cool. Much cooler than colors, IMO. I learned very early on that you shouldn’t set the foreground color if you didn’t set the background color, anyway. Looks bad if it’s allowed to change out from under you.

Hello! Apparently, reading the old post from Hannah, its seem the way to colour the text doesn’t seem to work.