New Chance Mechanics are Quirky

I was in Polythreme grinding Romantic Notions and slowly budging my Shadowy Skill, and at 147 with +19 Bonus I had a 94% chance of successfully completing the task. But when I got it to 148 then the chance was bumped down to 91%. Is this a bug? The new system is a lot harder than the last one, where once you hit straightforward you had a 100% of doing something right. Now I can easily fail in trying to get my fascinating to 13 while working in Polythreme because I have to do 10 checks with no guarantee of succeeding all of them. Ergo grinding Romantic Notions was much safer, but now I don’t think I even know how the new system works.

For the record, I stopped playing this game in the fall and came back to a find the new changes, i.e, Professions, Pictures and now the new Chance Mechanics.
edited by Owen Wulf on 3/18/2013

I noticed this as well - my alt is playing the Box of Intrigue story and went up from 127 to 128 shadowy + 31 equipment and the chance went from low risk (can’t remember exact percentage) to very modest (80%). This does seem odd as you would expect that the odds would improve slightly as your stats increase.

If you remove and re-equip equipment, do you go back to a higher % value?

Nice idea so I just tried it but it made no difference - still at very modest 80%.

Sounds like a bug (and a bad one). One or both of you should probably report it if you haven’t already. fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com

and I just went up to 129 shadowy and the chance is now low risk 81% so that seems right - maybe there was a blip (or a tweak on the odds) earlier.

There’s been a minor tweak in odds. It’s closer to 68% than 70% on target level now.

I think the numbers are still being tweaked; as far as I can tell, it changed from 68% to 66% in the last day or two.
Maybe they’re gradually easing us towards the default scaler of 60%; won’t that be fun? (A: No).

[quote=Esterhazy]I think the numbers are still being tweaked; as far as I can tell, it changed from 68% to 66% in the last day or two.
Maybe they’re gradually easing us towards the default scaler of 60%; won’t that be fun? (A: No).[/quote]

I think they actually stated they were going to reduce it in the coming months when they changed the system. Of course, that’s a lot of fun to us wiki-editors…