Neutral Grounds and Sanctuaries (Flowerdene Arc)

She reads the paper and, without showing any kind of emotion, promply eats it.

“I do not trust paper to keep its secrets.” She explains. “And I hope it helps you to understand that I do not do things by half measures. Lord Gazter, I will not promise you something that is not mine. What I can and will promise is that, if this does not compromise my charge’s security, I will send you word that I have that charge under my care. Otherwise, their safety is the priority. Believe in me when I say that I do not it because I have something against you. It is my general policy.” Her voice is less stern when she adds: “Please understand that, if I choose not to say you anything, it is for the best of my charge. I may not look like it, but I am old and stubborn; yet, I only mean well.”

Lord Gazter nods, but his expression does not change. “I understand, but if anything should happen I will not forgive.”

“I know, dear.” She says, not lowering her eyes. “I ask you not to trust me. I can only assure you that I answer only to my own conscience, and there is no sterner judge out there.” She looks at her clock, frowning. “I have an appointment soon. Before I go, could you please answer me a little something, since you are intimate of the Embassy? How quickly would devils change allegiance in a conflict, if they are offered concessions in the soul trade, or if they feel they will lose some of those concessions?”

&quotAre you are asking for help at keeping the Embassy out of the conflict?&quot Lord Gazter smiles a weary smile.
edited by Lord Gazter on 8/18/2016

“No, not exactly.” She fetches her cane and a hat as she says it. “I just want to know how far I can go with a little idea of mine and the possible consequences.”

&quotA pity, because if that was the case my answer would be yes.&quot

She looks at him, considering if she could reveal her game. No, no, she has to be swift and act while things are still relatively calm. She simply says: “I will do something that may or may not rattle the devils a little. Not directly, but I know they profit with spirifers and may possibly be grumpy at what I will do. If you can get them to be neutral after that, you will have all my respect.”

Lord Gazter nods. “I think I might be able to manage something.”

“Good.” She smiles and picks her case with her papers and other personal belongings. “I need to go. I will let the office open, since there is nothing to be stolen here. Milord, Ms Evensong, I will not take long, since I have no lectures today. Please, feel at home. If you want to leave, do not worry. Argos will keep the order.”

She points to a corner in the room. Hidden in a mysteryous cloud of mist, there is something huge. When the mist shifts, it is possible to see that this thing is full of eyes. It keeps half of its eyes in a guest and half in the other. “Now, excuse me.”

Lord Gazter gets up as well. &quotAlexander we are going to run a few errands.&quot Lord Gazter leaves his tomb colonist companion, who had been waiting outside the building follows him.

People are moving around the Labyrinth of Tigers. The small detective that brands herself as the Inescapable Professor goes effortlessly to the Fourth Coil. She has spent lots of time there. She inspects the seal she is training. The animal is ready. “Sorry, big guy” she whispers “I wish there was another way.”

The breeding process is messy as always, but the Bishop is pleased at the results. He doesn’t talk with her as much since they had that conversation in the Embankment, and she is not one to press for conversation. Today, though, she coughes.

“Your Excellency, I hate to take your time, but there is something you should know.”

He frowns at her. “Oh, so now you care?”

“Just because I do not approve your plan to invade Hell, it does not mean that I love the Soul Trade, Your Excellency. You know that. Do not pretend that you did not know me when you invited me to breed animals to you.” She gets a file from her case, as he doesn’t answer. “And here is what I want you to know. It is a case I am working on for almost a year now.” She shows him pictures, numbers, contacts… “There is a ring of spirifers acting on Flowerdene, in Spite, for quite a while. From time to time, a big one, like Sour Elizabeth, is sent to jail, but soon another one replace the old. Not even the Flowerdene Initiative could do much to stop it from happening. Look at those numbers. So many soulless people. And I can bet that the Brass Embassy is not refusing those souls on moral grounds.”

The Bishop look at the frankly alarming number of soulless people the document shows. “Why are you showing me that?”

“The case is not closed.” She says, pointing at some lines in the paper. “I need more proof. It has been a long and difficult investigation, but I am working with other detectives and we are getting closer and closer to dismantle this ring for good… Until this whole Insurgence business started.”

He starts to make a protest, but the woman is quicker. "Your Excellency, do not insult me by denying it. I know that the Church wants to ensure stability and order, that you are against the insurgents and all. Good for you. But do you remember the Flowerdene Massacre? And how quickly things can become an even worse massacre if the spirits are too high? If the desperate people of Flowerdene that may rise in the insurgence are treated as the enemy and ‘dealt with’, we will never be able to show the world how many soulless people it really has. We will never have a case against those spirifers.

Now, if people start to pay attention to Flowerdene, they might notice that there is something amiss… It might turn into a full blown scandal. It did not become a scandal when it began because people pretty much ignore Flowerdene. But what if they did not? What if they actually cared about what happens there? The soul trade is highly controversial, despite what the Bazaar tries to make people believe in. A scandal of those proportions could make them start discussing it again. Something that people such as you could use against devils, to limit their grip on London, for instance.

What I ask is not that you embrace the insurgents’ side. Just that the Church works to tone down the violence against them and that you remember the church-goers that the poor people of Flowerdene are not blood-thirsty enemies, they are vulnerable, scared and lots of them are soulless on top of that - lots of them do not even know what that means. There is a fundraiser going on to help the people there, I have heard. If the Church can make that an astounding success, who knows? We might be able to get things finally done there."

The Bishop looks at the small woman doubtfully. “…You talk a lot.”

“Guilty as charged.” She shrugs.

“I will think about it. I still want to wrestle you to the ground for your defection.”

She smiles. She didn’t expect him to commit to anything, but the idea to screw with devils would eventually grow on him. It was a pity that she had to use that kind of rethoric instead of simply remind Church officials of what the Gospel was all about, Jesus Christ in a velocipede! One day.

The small meeting happened in a rich lady’s drawing room. To anyone from outside, it would look like a common salon. Outsiders didn’t know that everyone there had special pocket watches hidden in their coats.

After the traditional offerings of souls and contracts, the Professor asked for a word.

“My friends, there is a chance that our investigations are compromised.” Murmurs explode everywhere. She gets on firmly. “Flowerdene will be soon the epicenter of a conflict. It will be a ripe ground for spirifers hiding the evidence for their crimes, disguising it as deaths due to the fight. While we cannot prevent that from happening, if the worst comes to the worst, there may be a last desperate chance of at least making sure the spirifers don’t get completely away with their deeds.”

Someone asks for clarification. She gives it: “We are going to press. Secrecy at this point will not aid the investigations anymore. We might not catch the spirifage ring, but we will at least thwart them for now. If they abandon spirifage as a result, great. God will take care of their punishment, if that is the case. But if they go back to it afterwards… We start it all over again.”

There is a silence. Then, ideas start to storm. About when it was the best time to start printing the news, about how to protect the soulless identities, about what else could be done… At least, there was a consensus that the citizens of Flowerdene should be spared as much as possible (even if just as living evidence against the criminals, is some people’s views).

The Professor smiled without humour in her mind. Waging a secret war was an easy way to resort to violence. People would only know that something was amiss after the fact, when it would be too late. If she could time the scandal in the presses just right, she could probably force the powers in play to be more subtle and the toll on lives, less heavy. The respectable factions did not fear the law, but the public opinion was another matter.

[[OOC: That was my move. As of now, the Professor only planted seeds to make Flowerdene the centre of press attention during the war, giving the Pact something else to loose, besides a bit of money and some lives of lesser pawns (I think it makes for a best story, in all honesty). Anyone wishing to work with it, from all sides, message me and we will see what we can do from that.]]

[[I’m currently without internet access at my house, so RP will be pretty slow. I should be able to check daily, however, and hopefully I’ll have full internet access on Tuesday]]

This should be the place. Sara stands outside of the office in the Bazaar Side-streets spoken of in a message she had written down for later reference. A white raven perches upon its rooftop, looking around curiously. She hesitates momentarily. While she had been advised to seek information about the Flowerdene conflict here after making the initial preparations for the fundraiser, her lack of it makes her a little nervous. She takes the brief moment to collect what she knew.

There is a conflict in Flowerdene between two factions. She does not know who they are. There was an outbreak of violence in Spite years ago, the Flowerdene Massacre, resulting in an increase in violence and crime in surrounding areas. A trial was held two years after the events, and Elias Lowe was found Not Guilty. Was that right? Sara finds herself uncertain - she was never one to follow trial cases, and only heard about this one secondhand from a Veilgarden acquaintance.

These events surely are related, whether directly or indirectly. Is Eli involved in this conflict? Even if he isn’t, he’ll at least have an opinion on the matter. She holds the thought in her mind for later; surely the information gleaned from this trip can assist in finding the best path forward. Sara steps through the office door. &quotHello?&quot

[[I wrote [url=http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22971-rites-of-ignorance.aspx]this[/url] to provide some context for the readers - the internal thought process doesn’t make much sense without it. TL;DR - Sara is a Midnighter]]

edited by Sara Hysaro on 8/19/2016

OOC: Declaring that Evensong is going to start bringing the press around. Just in case anyone wants to counter.

[[Sorry, the weekend will be busy, but I’ll try to keep up.]]

The Professor leaves the meeting still in planning stage. The worse of the scandal must occur at the right point, but she could use some early stirrings.

She went to her lair in the Marshes, to make sure that the school was well and secure. The children were in a smaller space than they were used to, but Derek had the insight to set up the classroom outside the house, letting the students sit in big mushrooms or in ropes that reminded the urchins of the Flit. They were loving it and she was proud.

After hearing all children and plying a bit with them, the Professor heard the nurses’ reports and finally pushed her assistant aside.

“Derek, how happy are the presses with your articles lately?”

He gave her a guilty smile. “They already forgave me for the incident with the Heiress. I’ve just changed pen names, and all is well and good again.”

She shook her head. “Right, I want you to help me with something. The children are still your top priority, but I can trust no one else on this.” She explains what she is scheming about the press and the Flowerdene investigations, and how she wants to things to get to their worst when both sides were already to engaged to back off.

While he doesn’t care much about the conflict, he approved of mischief. “Hear, hear. You want a splash in the press? I’ll see what I can do to help. And please, finish this quickly, I don’t know how long I’ll survive here.”

“Oh, quiet!”

Finishing her preparations for the day, the Professor would go back to her Veilgarden office, but a bat drops by her shoulder to annouce a visitor in her new office, at the Bazaar. She nods.

There, she finds a young woman waiting in the hall.

“Yes, dear? I am the Inescapable Professor, consultive detective. Are you looking for my services?”

Seeing that no one was in at the moment, Sara takes a seat and waits. It isn’t too long before the Inescapable Professor arrives. She stands up and greets her with a friendly wave.

&quotHello! I’m Sara. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the situation in Flowerdene. Anything at all would be helpful; I’ve started up a fundraiser to help provide supplies to the needy who might be affected by it.&quot

Sara considers whether there is anything else she might ask. A few specific questions come to mind, but only things likely to be covered in a general rundown of the conflict. She keeps them in mind to ask later if needed.

“Oh.” She directs Sara to a comfortable chair. “You are the Sara that is conducting the fundraiser. It is a pleasure to meet you. Sit down here, please.”

“What do you want to know, exactly, about Flowerdene? It is a poor place. It has everything every poor neighbourhood has. Scarcity leading to hungry people, leading to testiness, leading to violence. A lack of hope that makes it harder for people to adhere to their morals, so people often sacrifice them in name of survival. Resentment towards people that have so much that they throw away food for the table and can afford to buy everything they desire in a whim. And, since intellectual betterment is the last thing people care about they are literally speaking on the ground, there is a lamentable difficulty in making them understand abstract things, like why some behaviours have with long-term consequences and must be avoided or how people might use them for political reasons.”

She stops, breathes and goes on: “Not to mention the lack of that safety most people take for granted. Jack-of-Smiles might enter their houses at any moment and kill everyone, any goods might be stolen at any time, spirifers prey on their vulnerability to buy their souls for ridiculous prices or just flat out steal them… And when they complain about that to any Constable, they rarely - if ever - do anything. ‘Flowerdene is too dangerous for us to enter that and investigate’ - some will say. ‘There are more pressing matters at hand’ - others say, as they hurry to get Mr Pages some random book, or something like that. And do not even get me started on diseases.”

The Professor stops what she is saying, very serious. “This is poverty for you. It is more or less the same everywhere. As you might know, a certain criminal group took the place some time ago. Things improved visibly there, but the crime issue was not solved, they just mostly stopped robbing themselves and set their sights elsewhere. All in all, two steps ahead, one behind. But it seems that this criminal group is ready to take a step further and insurge against the rest of London. I am still getting informed on the particulars.”

The woman reclines on her seat. “Unfortunate. Most unfortunate. It does not solve the real cause of poverty: people’s cruelty and selfishness, the lack of education, but intellectual and moral, in all layers of society, and so on. If this insurgence brings some relief, it will be a brief one, because violence calls for more violence. The victors of one war are the villains of another. But, at the same time, how do you reason with people that our own neglect as society denied the capacity to reason? We have not suffered their misery, we have not offered our hand when they still had hope on us. What moral authority we can claim to go to Flowerdene and tell them to do anything, when our morals are in tatters? We may offer food to them, but when will we offer love to them? When they will stop being ‘them’ and start being ‘us’?”

She crosses her fingers and closes her eyes. “Sorry for rambling. Is there anything else you want to know? I mean, one does not go to a detective wanting for public knowledge. How can I really help you?”

At the invitation, Sara takes a seat and listens patiently and attentively to the Professor. A decent bit of it resonates with her, having been homeless herself a little less than a decade ago. Her circumstances were better, she reminds herself; no sense in bringing that up here. The speech ends, and the Professor asks what Sara really wants to know. Time to oblige.

“I was wondering if you could tell me who the leader of the insurgence was. I have my suspicions, but don’t know for sure.” Sara then attempts to rationalize why she wishes to know. “I’d like to talk to them, and find out if there’s any specific groups in Flowerdene they are trying to help. The fundraiser will hopefully be able to reach all of Flowerdene, but if it cannot then at least I could offer help to those who could very well be the most likely to be affected by this conflict.”

She wonders who the insurgence is fighting against. The Bazaar itself? Constables? Agents of the Masters? If there’s a specific group it may be best to avoid prodding too much into it; there is no sense in undoing the irrigo’s work if it can be helped. Besides, there are longterm plans to possibly be made here. Can education be improved within her means? A small idea forms in her mind, though perhaps it is far too soon for such a thing. The Professor seems to be perfectly capable of offering feedback, however; she places the thought aside to ask at an appropriate time.

The Professor raises an eyebrow. Is it a test? She raises from her armchair and opens a filing cabinet. She can be seen handling carefully ordered newspapers, and brings one to the young woman.

&quotHere, there is a very detailed account of the Flowerdene Massacre trial. If you read it, I am sure you will be better informed about it.&quot

She gives the newspaper to Sara and sits again. Before the young woman can read the news, the Professor adds:

&quotI know it is your fundraiser, but allow an old lady to give you some advice.&quot She doesn’t look old enough to have a doctorate, let alone being called an ‘old woman’, but age in the Neath is not as obvious as it seems. &quotMy father was a very charitable man. I lived among charity entreprises untill I went to university in London. (It was before the Fall, you see. I graduated a few months before it.) Look, every people in Flowerdene needs basically everything. But, if you are trying to raise money, do not waste in on food and clothes. Food and clothes donations are easy to come by. Not everyone can donate money, but even the poorest people will give you goods for the unfortunate. It is something you can raise in large quantities and relatively small amount of time.

If you are feeling brave enough to raise money, I suggest using it in something that will help lots of people at once. Build a charity hospital, or improve existing utility buildings, like orphanages and schools. Or maybe you can use the money to sanitize Flowerdene, giving it a proper sewer system. You will need a huge amount of money to do those, and will have to keep raising money to maintain them working, but maybe you can find a patron by then. Sinning Jenny seems to be honestly trying to improve the life of poor people in London, she may help you in that front, as long as you have a definite idea and enough money to take it off.&quot

She sighs. &quotSorry, I am getting all nostalgic. Naturally, before doing anything, it is only right that you make your plans and talk about them at large with people in Flowerdene. Never assume you know what people really need. Be careful not to ‘invade’ Flowerdene, though. Even if it was not in the verge of an insurgence, you always do well to have a ‘patron’ to recommend you to people there, or they will be suspicious of you.&quot

The woman spins her thumbs. &quotBesides uncalled for advice in how to do your job, anything else you want from me?&quot

[[OOC: I can’t see links well in my computer. If that’s the case of someone here, the Professor’s first line is a link to Eli’s judgement. It gives better context to what happened to Flowerdene, what Eli did to his people and what is public knowledge.]]

Sara accepts the newspaper gratefully, and gives it a very quick glance. As she suspected - Eli. This will make things marginally easier; she’s spoken to Eli a couple times, and while the situation is still dangerous at least it isn’t with a stranger’s face. She puts off making plans on that front to listen to the Professor’s charity advice. This was something Sara had been thinking about. While she hadn’t decided what exactly she wanted to do, Sara realized that handing out supplies wouldn’t provide much more than immediate aid. To make a lasting impact she would need to do something more.

“That should be everything I need. Thank you for your assistance - I’ll let you know if I need any actual detective work.” Sara gives a half-playful, half-guilty smile. In truth she hadn’t realized was a detective’s office until she arrived at its door, and chose it simply because it was closest to home. She stands, and gives the Professor a wave farewell. “You have a good evening. Thank you again for the charity advice; it’s the first time I’ve done this sort of thing, and I appreciate the input.”

Ultimately anything will need to be run by Caldyr. The fundraiser is serving some unknown purpose, and he would best know whether these ideas are beneficial or harmful for that. Perhaps she could run both funding towards a facility and a supply drive concurrently? In the end she’ll need to speak to Eli, and contriving a meeting would be far too suspicious. She’ll need to send a message, and deal with the consequences of directness afterwards.

[[OOC: I’ve left things ambiguous just in case Professor Strix would like to say anything more. If not then Sara leaves for home, and her raven follows afterwards.]]

At first, the Professor considered to make a joke about fifteen minutes of her time costing 50 pence, but she keeps herself from doing this. Last time she joked with a friend about that, the man never came back at her office. She opts for a simple &quotGood night, dear.&quot

When alone, the woman muses and doodle some notes:

&quotPlan route for really important refugees. May be necessary.&quot

&quotWhat about this Sara girl? She randomly decides to make a fundraiser to help Flowerdene, but she has no plans on how to spend the money, nor any connection with people there. It is a big undertaking, but she is not passionate by that. She came looking for me, but obviously did not have any idea it was a professional office (despite the sign). What did she want with me? I do not think it is some sort of excuse to see me, since the rumours of the fundraiser predates my involvement with the issue at hand, nor it is a direct result of my call for refugees, for the same reason.

Was I being tested on how much I know about the issue at hand, or about my sympathies? Or, perhaps, this has a deeper meaning?&quot

She drums her fingers, as she does when she was thinking hard. &quotMaybe it was a maneuvre to undermine support to Lowe’s cause?&quot Hm. Not bad, but a little clumsily handed. As she pointed, people would not turn their backs to the insurgence for a few baskets of bread and a bottle of cheap wine (figuratively speaking). Whatever the so-called &quotPact&quot was trying to do with the money raised, it had to be trully inspiring and/or long term enough to build trust. They didn’t have enough time to build trust by feeding people constantly (they would always suspect - correctly - that the food would go away as soon as Lowe falls).

The woman shrugged. If successful, this could work to bring violence levels down. Ideally, it could even get Flowerdene some much needed honest improvement. If only the government had thought of this earlier. But if the government had thought of it earlier, things would never have escalated that far.

With an irritated sigh, she checks the time. It’s already time to close the office. She decides to sleep in her flophouse room in Ladybones. Both for old times’ sake, and because it’s closer to Veilgarden. If anyone needs her in the office there, she can be there quickly enough.
edited by Professor Strix on 8/31/2016