Neutral Grounds and Sanctuaries (Flowerdene Arc)

The woman wakes up from her thoughts. She opens the door of the office. “Yes, dear? Can I help you?”

“That’s was my question to you. I believe we share similar goals. We both have people we wish to protect by stopping or at least containing this madness.”

“Good. Come in.” The Professor sits on the table and shows the woman some papers. “You seem vaguely familiar. Are you Mr Erynies’ wife, by any chance?”

The papers are two piles, containing what the Professor knows about the two factions. They list people who have publicly declared in favour or against Flowerdene, some moves that could or could not be related to the situation and some people that could or could not be convinced to be removed for the conflict. There is a lot of work to do and a lot of room for improvement in those notes.

“Yes, I am. It does interest me seeing which address people choose for my spouse. I can tell about Flowerdene, but not as much on the other side at the moment. Unfortunate consequences of professional rivalry.”

“I see.” She looks at Evensong (is that the correct name? she remembers it from somewhere, perhaps the Salon) for an instant, then points the papers. “I am trying to pinpoint motivations and to get a gist of to where the wind is blowing, to prehemptively stall violence when possible. Any information is welcome. If you have contacts with any powerful group or ideas on how to reach them, I am all ears. Where do you work, again?”

“The Foriegn Office. This matter is too domestic to fall under their purview. If they were called in, they would nominally support the pact, while undercutting those of it’s agents that it dislikes. Not terribly productive in the long run. Right now, tge war is influence. The FI plan to expand their ranks from Eli’s personal cult by promoting general outrage against their opponents. Both sides are fighting a war of influence with the Embassy. A women called Sara is working to provide relief in Church and Game controlled areas of the Spite. FI suspect the pacts involvement, but have yet to investigate. Perhaps she could be an ally to us.”

A gentleman quietly enters into the building. Noticing that he is not the first he waits outside the Professor’s office trying his best to keep his presence unoticed by the two having a conversation for politeness’s sake.
edited by Lord Gazter on 8/17/2016

The Professor drums her fingers. “Perhaps. I suppose it does not hurt to take a look. But we have to work on the opposite side, too. I have an idea…” The drumming becomes quicker. “People hate taking risks, unless they are cornered or think that their odds are good and they do not have much to loose. If you are right, society is so bold because they think they do not have much to loose and everything to gain if Flowerdene falls. Mr Lowe works under assumption that they already hit rock-bottom, that an insurgence can only improve their lives or, at worse, do nothing. Any other suggestions on how to reverse this?”

“It would suggest heightening the risks to the pact first. If they pose less of an overt threat, it may be easier to convince Eli to stand down.”

“It would suggest heightening the risks to the pact first. If they pose less of an overt threat, it may be easier to convince Eli to stand down.”

The Professor nods at Evensong. “Right, I think our first action is to put Flowerdene in the spotlight of public opinion. It will make sure that everything that is done by either side will have the added pressure of everyone judging. This will make the Pact more careful. The fact it has the most respectable allies is their strenght, but it can work agains them if everything is public. I had an idea and will sow some seeds in the right field. If I see that it will work, I will engage more people in that front.”

While they are talking, a white snake looks at Lord Gazter and hisses disapprovingly. I goes back to the Professor and squeezes on her leg. When the woman looks down, the animal points at the entrance hall.

“Other guests? Whoever you are, you can enter and sit down.”

“My spouse has a newspaper they set up for my reading pleasure. They would not deny me, if I only wanted to read about this war for the next month or so. Thier paper should excite the others to any blood in the water.”

Lord Gazter enters at the Professor’s request. &quotI apologise for the intrusion Professor. Please, finish your buisness with this fine lady first. I can wait.&quot Lord Gazter prepares to head back outside.

“Good.” The academic checks a pocket watch. “Do not do anything about it right now. This man at the door might help me with something, and this will make for a better use of the press. At the moment, he wants to speak with me alone, it seems. Would you be a dear and see if you can fill those papers more than I have done for a minute, while I see what he wants? Then we can discuss our next step.”

Much was already going on. The Mirthless Colonist had caught glimpses of the Flowerdene conspiracy and the war against it before, but only now has he finally decided to get involved.
“Haven’t yet picked a side though, both of 'em make pretty horrible cases. I am willing to be persuaded or bought over, though.”

Lord Gazter enters back into the Professor’s office and waits till they are alone. He closes the door behind him. &quotProfessor it is a shame that we are not as well acquainted as I would have liked, but things are as they are.&quot Lord Gazter stays standing.

Lord Gazter sighs. &quotI will be frank with you Professor. I have heard that you will be accepting the wounded and offer sanctuary to those who need it am I correct?&quot

“Perfectly, milord.” She says. “To be honest, I have always offered sanctuary to people in need, but I decided to do it in a larger scale for the occasion. How can I help you?”

&quotI would be willing to assist you, but under a single condition.&quot A rat that had been behind Lord Gazter the whole time scurries up the table. &quotMy friend here would stay with you, to help me keep up with friends of mine who were injured or in hiding here. In all honesty I don’t care, which people you help. If you were to have Jack-of-Smiles trapped and under key here I would still not care,&quot Lord Gazter chuckles humorlessly, &quotbut there are those who I will keep out of harms way if can.&quot
edited by Lord Gazter on 8/18/2016

She looks at him, seriously. “I will not keep people here in the office, but in one of my spare lodgings, whatever one is more convenient. I have to warn you that your companion, most probably, will not have full knowledge of everyone under my care, because he cannot be everywhere. And, if your friends, for any reason, ask me not to let you know that they are with me, I will comply to their wishes and bar your rat to speak to them. Those are my conditions. If you accept them, the rat may stay.”

Lord Gazter grabs a piece of paper pulls a pen out of his pocket, and writes something on it. &quotThis is the only exception I ask for.&quot He slides the note over to the Professor. &quotI don’t care about anything else, but I must know if they show up here, no matter who tells you otherwise. I must know.&quot
edited by Lord Gazter on 8/18/2016