Need help from Real-life londoners

Greetings! I am a Fallen London player from South Korea privileged with English fluency enough to enjoy the experience.
Luckily, I have been blessed with an opportunity for tourism to London itself, and I am very excited.
The truth is, I am in need of places I can visit and enjoy in my 1 week travels, and I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Considering I had… exceptionally exaggerated and fictionalized second-hand experience playing the game I do not have any unusual expectations, but I am quite excited nontheless.

Greetings everyone!
It has been a while but I have truly enjoyed my trip!
I have been privileged to visit Marylebone, Old Spitalfields Market, Covent Gardens, and of course Greenwich.

There are many other places I enjoyed to visit, but surprisingly I enjoyed my trip to Greenwich and the observatory, while I can imagine my character mostly hanging around vicinity of Ladybones and Veilgardens.
However, the most fulfilling place for me to tour was none other than Piccadily Circus.

Ribena and Iron Brew, those stuffs DESERVE more exports.
Thanks for your advices!
I hope I can visit there once more…when it is not hot and humid enough.
edited by TravisSingh on 7/24/2019
edited by TravisSingh on 7/24/2019

What sort of things are you interested in seeing? Is there anything in Fallen London whose real life references you are interested in?

Well, Greenwich does have an observatory, though nobody there is blind, as far as I know. And there is a portion of the heath at the top of the hill (Blackheath) that is undeveloped, though not marshland these days. It’s small hillocks with shrubby growth, and once you’re in among them, you can’t see farther than a few metres. Ideal for bandits…
You can get to Greenwich by riverboat along the river that resembles the map!

To be honest I am most interested in the cities itself!
I already booked a ticket to a musical theatre, and greenwich is definitely one of my chief interests!
Still urban attractions are my top priorities, stuffs like pie-and-mash, tea shops etc.

A bit concerned with my american-english habits (accents, spellings etc) though.

[li]

For pie shops, you need to visit the outer areas – again, Greenwich has one near the covered market with excruciating seating. There’s one in Deptford High Street – both considered good. More info here:

https://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/londons-best-pie-and-mash-shops

Tea shops are more problematic – the real, old-style ones tend to be in market towns outside London altogether (in my experience, you understand). I could name three good ones in Saffron Walden and several in Rye. London? Browns in theatreland is not bad, though it’s a chain. Maison Bertaux in Soho – an ancient, tall and narrow building that seems about to collapse around you, but superb cakes and a student-type crowd. Patisserie Valerie used to be good before it expanded and parts of it went bust. I don’t know if the original one in Old Compton Street is still there.

London, oh London my love.

My London is all about coffee - so I can’t really help there. However - I strongly recommend Primrose Hill (nearest tube - Chalk Farm) for an incredible view of the city. It also has a cute row of cafes and shops along Regent’s Park Road. The British Museum has an Edvard Munch exhibition on - I’ve not been but want to. The Wellcome Collection often does cool things. Walking along the south bank of the Thames, and crossing Waterloo Bridge, especially at sunset is incredible. It’s very touristy but for a reason. You get all old London to the west, and new London (Canary Wharf) is at a distance where it’s beautiful, and not a hell hole. DO NOT GO TO CANARY WHARF.

The Old Compton Street Patisserie Valerie is not there, but honestly it had become so not-good relative to the smaller chain cafes/non-chain ones, it’s not much of a loss. It served scones with WHIPPED CREAM for crying out loud. (Clotted cream is the correct form.)

Around that area, Gelupo, on Archer Street, does the best Gelato I’ve ever had. So that’s a must.

Now, for Fallen London London… Sir John’s Soane’s museum: https://www.soane.org/
And: you HAVE to visit the inns of court. I am biased, as I lived for 9 months in Lincoln’s Inn - but they are open to public at certain times, and incredibly beautiful if you like old buildings and older buildings. Temple also has the church that Dan Brown used in one of his books. https://www.lincolnsinn.org.uk/ https://www.innertemple.org.uk/

Hmm. What else? I mean the thing I love about London is having all the stuff around me and never doing it, but watching all the people it brings. If you like classical music: Wigmore Hall is an interesting, fairly intimate concert hall in central London. Regent’s Park has a zoo - but I’ve not been in years so don’t know if it’s a nice zoo or a bad zoo.

Spitalfield’s Market is a thing, as is Brick Lane - I’d walk around and admire, but not buy anything as I’m tight. But a lot of the street art near Brick Lane is excellent.

HIGHGATE CEMETERY - sorry, caps because I almost forgot. It’s peaceful and relaxing and beautiful and incredibly moving. If you can get a tour, do.

Coffee shop in a Victorian toilet: https://the-attendant.com/locations/fitzrovia/ - never been, but do let me know if it’s good coffee. (My snob coffee level is this: Costa and Pret a Manger serve undrinkable shit, Cafe Nero is bearable. My small-chain favourite is Gail’s. Monmouth is actually a little burnt tasting, to me.)

more stuff here, though I’ve not checked for 'actually good’ness: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/17-unusual-things-you-should-do-in-london/

AVOID OXFORD STREET. It is a living hell and I formally declare it NOT LONDON.
The Shard is insanely overpriced, but if you go up to the bar in it, you do get a lovely view of the city.

Pollocks Toy Museum is a thing. Not been, but could be interesting. If you like to see old London, there are various Roman remains - I’d check some of those out. Crystal Palace Park is a pain to get to, but lovely. Alexandra Palace ditto.

I’d also read a bunch of books based in London. I have a particular love for trashy fantasy set in London, so I can line up the demon with the teeth with the actual real life places. Rivers of London is a series like that. A Madness of Angels is another. You’ve also got Neverwhere and Unlondon.
edited by babelfishwars on 5/7/2019
edited by babelfishwars on 5/7/2019

Whenever I get the chance to visit London, I always try to reread Neverwhere before the trip (or at the latest during the flight there). It adds a level of surrealism to the whole trip afterwards. You can’t ride the Tube without being transfixed by the station names…