My short stories suck!

I mean…they’re loved by critics. I’ve written masterful short stories. However, the public seems to hate them. I can’t seem to get my ‘name signed with a flourish’ up above 2. Am i doing it wrong? is there something else i must do? Who do i have to ki-err… offer early retirement to?

This has been asked many times, twice within the past week. FBG really need to clarify this.
In short: you need to write one simple, 40-Quality short story and publish it with the “Make Your Name: Publish a Short Story” selection. There is no need to write it up past 40 Quality, as you won’t get paid for it anyway (IIRC). But it will move you onto the next phase of Making Your Name.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]This has been asked many times, twice within the past week. FBG really need to clarify this.
In short: you need to write one simple, 40-Quality short story and publish it with the &quotMake Your Name: Publish a Short Story&quot selection. There is no need to write it up past 40 Quality, as you won’t get paid for it anyway (IIRC). But it will move you onto the next phase of Making Your Name.

– Mal[/quote]

Hmm…where would this selection be? I still have a Masterful Short Story in my inventory, but all i see in Veilgarden is &quotMake your name - The Writer’s Desk: Begin a Work&quot again, like always.

Edit: Nevermind, i think i found it. Thank you.
edited by polio18 on 11/25/2015

I afraid I think you have to start over again - making sure to use that story-let. But you can sell the one you have made already on the Bazaar if you like (but maybe check that first).

Definitely don’t write up your Making Your Name story to that quality. As Mlle de Witte says, start a new tale at the Veilgarden and write that to 40 quality, then you should have the “Make Your Name” option. A Masterful Short Story should bring some fair coin from the Bazaar, and that’s all you can do with it. (It’s actually too high to take up the Writer’s profession!)

– Mal

I just did this yesterday… my first big writing run… I was lost and confused and wasted many APs… but I did finally see the option they are discussing. I was sitting at 38 at the time… quick edit, popped 40… published it myself… got 1000 pennies… bought some new gloves…

this morning I log on and I get a lovely closing choice… grab a pick… and get a nice, healthy Persuasive boost… now finally all my stats are above 50 base…

Fallen London, here I come… LOL