My 2 echos

A few bugs:
Several…ehh…actions? On the bottom right seem to remain every time I made shore leave in london, namely the fellow from the museum.

I had 4 units of supplies, fought a crab, butched it for food. Discovered a few moments later I had no supplies (I had just set out from london). Fear was running high, but I had the default cook. No &quotevents&quot to explain why it had all gone.

A few questions/ideas:
How to effectively reduce fear? Most actions require echos or other items to reduce it by a handful of points, but merely sailing (Zailing?) often ends up with monsters in distant view, which creates fear, which is hard to remove without echos, which I need to trade to obtain, which means sailing, which means more fear…

I suppose you get the idea. Maybe I’m not doing something right, but how does one manage fear?

Why not add trade logs (if they aren’t there already and I’ve utterly missed them) in the bottom left hand side of the screen along with other logs? IE Date/Time: Fed the crew. We should have Date/Time: Sold ___ at port ___ for ____ profit.
Just a useful tool for traders to check their logs for lucrative routes.

Really awesome potential here :D

To avoid gaining terror, stay in the light or close to shore (the shore of islands works as well as the shore that Fallen London is on). Sail fast through the dark parts, and keep your ship’s light on.

Reducing terror does almost always require echos or other resources. But if you manage to minimize terror gain, it’s feasible. Commissions for the Admiralty (or whatever they’re called) are a good way to make echos, especially if you visit ports along the way and do the usual actions.

Trading is less profitable at the moment, as many islands don’t have much in the way of shops. There are a few profitable trade routes, and they’re worth doing if you’re heading by those ports anyway.

[quote=Rhoanna]To avoid gaining terror, stay in the light or close to shore (the shore of islands works as well as the shore that Fallen London is on). Sail fast through the dark parts, and keep your ship’s light on.

Reducing terror does almost always require echos or other resources. But if you manage to minimize terror gain, it’s feasible. Commissions for the Admiralty (or whatever they’re called) are a good way to make echos, especially if you visit ports along the way and do the usual actions.

Trading is less profitable at the moment, as many islands don’t have much in the way of shops. There are a few profitable trade routes, and they’re worth doing if you’re heading by those ports anyway.[/quote]

hrmm…good to know. Thanks! I was mostly sailing with the shoreline in sight, but not along it.

You need to keep an eye on the dial in the top left corner - if it shows amber lights you are gaining terror, when it goes all the way around you get 1 point of terror but if you can get near a white light (buoy or light-ship or a bit of coast with lights) the lights turn green and reverse direction so you don’t get that terror point. So timing is everything as it can be difficult to move between light sources without gaining a point of terror. If no lights are showing on the dial you are not in an area that raises terror.
edited by reveurciel on 6/20/2014

Not sure if it’s not implemented yet, or if this is the final concept of the idea, but I would think bats and other monsters should not be visible (Though they may be auidable or have other elements) unless they are actually hit by a light source. That would make things a bit more intrinsic and unnerve players as much as their crew :P

[color=#009900]We’re going to revisit this in a later update: we wanted to do it, but initial trials (bats were effectively invisible until illuminated) just caused frustration (‘zail zail zail WAAGH WHAT THE HELL NOT AGAIN’). It makes so much sense with the setting and the light effects, though, that we’re going to give it another go-round.[/color]

I hope not as some are already hard enough to get away from if you are not strong enough to fight them and shining a light on them makes them chase you.

Edit - Alexis posted while I was typing, I’ll wait and see what happens.

edited by reveurciel on 6/20/2014

Are the devs looking into terror options as well? I’m just curious as there has been a massive amount of discussion about it in the Gold Feedback thread, and no real response regarding it. I’m not looking for a “yes we’ve sorted it out and there’s an update today!”, just wondering if it’s on the list of things to be balanced

[color=#ff9900]There was a response here which addresses Terror and future adjustments to it:[/color] http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8582-gold-feedback.aspx?&Page=3#post65676

[color=#009900]And coincidentally, there are some terror tweaks in various directions in the update notes for the content patch which has just gone live. Notes in the usual place but here too for convenience:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]

• An imaginary officer can sometimes be recruited when Terror is 75+;
  • After a couple of voyages, you’'ll have the opportunity to choose a tattoo;
  • You may now suffer and heal Wounds. Too many Wounds will kill you.
  • Terror events are rarer, more varied, present more choices, and do not generally themselves increase Terror
  • Defeating a Mutiny now gives a very substantial Terror reduction
  • Hunter’'s Keep now gives more effective Terror reductions (and a little longer will pass before certain terrible events)
  • When your engine explodes due to overfuelling, very occasionally something extraordinary will happen instead.

Good weekend, all.
[/color]

[color=#ff9900]Just as sure as none at all.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]No, wait. That’s love. [/color][color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]Dammit Freddie, get out of my head.[/color]

Oh that’s easy, just use r-Repel wore off…ABANDON SHIP!!!

I would think perhaps having a little &quotsonar&quot wave appear on the map indicating the direction from the bats could be a good and immersive indicator. People see a &quotSonar&quot ping and high pitched squeak and think &quotCrap, bats!&quot, and depending on how it’s handled it could still be relatively difficult to pinpoint them without a light.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]And coincidentally, there are some terror tweaks in various directions in the update notes for the content patch which has just gone live. Notes in the usual place but here too for convenience:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]

• An imaginary officer can sometimes be recruited when Terror is 75+;
  • After a couple of voyages, you’'ll have the opportunity to choose a tattoo;
  • You may now suffer and heal Wounds. Too many Wounds will kill you.
  • Terror events are rarer, more varied, present more choices, and do not generally themselves increase Terror
  • Defeating a Mutiny now gives a very substantial Terror reduction
  • Hunter’'s Keep now gives more effective Terror reductions (and a little longer will pass before certain terrible events)
  • When your engine explodes due to overfuelling, very occasionally something extraordinary will happen instead.

Good weekend, all.
[/color][/quote]

Interesting, thank you. I look forward to seeing how terror balance develops. With so many of the mitigating factors tied to specific places, when randomization is introduced I’m sure the balance will be skewed; but that’s all part of the fun of being an early access player!