Music Tracks from Former App

Hi there,

As a former mobile app user, I really enjoyed the soundtrack. The music elevated an already atmospheric game to another level. Hopefully the tracks will be eventually reintroduced to the web redesign when time and resources permit.

In the meantime, for us music lovers, I wanted to see if we could get Failbetter’s confirmation of music tracks by area. I’ve started this; it’s been a while since the app was sunset so I’m sure that I’ve made a few errors based on memory. But I’d love to get a confirmed list whenever someone at FB is able to. I’m sure this information is stored somewhere that they may access and add here.

Please feel free to make any corrections or additions you see fit! I’ve tried to include non-Fate stories/areas only, which would included SMEN and all Ambitions. I’ve only played two of the Ambitions so I’m guessing that there are other areas not listed here.

Thanks in advance,

J-

[table] [tr] [td]Track [td]Area(s) Used [tr] [td]New Newgate [td]New Newgate Prison [tr] [td]An Embassy Waltz [td]Ladybones Road [tr] [td]Labyrinth of Tigers [td]Labyrinth of Tigers [tr] [td]House of Chimes [td]House of Chimes [tr] [td]Peligin and Pearl [td]Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]Mrs Plenty’s Carnival [td]Mrs Plenty’s Carnival [tr] [td]Crowds of Spite [td]Spite [tr] [td]About your Business [td]Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]Where We Went [td]The Orphanage [tr] [td]Carnival at Midnight [td]Mahogany Hall [tr] [td]Veilgarden Last Call [td]Royal Bethlehem Hotel [tr] [td]Empress at the Window [td]Shuttered Palace [tr] [td]Hunter’s Keep [td]Hunter’s Keep; Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]Before the Mirror [td]Watchmaker’s Hill (slightly different version) [tr] [td]Matters of State [td]Foreign Office; Port Carnelian [tr] [td]The Appointed Place [td]Unused? [tr] [td]A Sundered Sea [td]The Bazaar (Sundered Sea) [tr] [td]Irrigo Below [td]Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]Something of a Fluke [td]Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]The Department of Menace Eradication [td]Iron Republic; Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]St Arthur’s Candle [td]Forgotten Corner [tr] [td]Why We Wear Faces [td]Various Unterzee Islands? [tr] [td]New Newgate Reprise [td]Lodgings [tr] [td]Wolfstack Lights [td]Wolfstack Docks [tr] [td]Missing from Tracklist ? [td]The Flit [tr] [td]Undulata [td]Open Waters [tr] [td]? [td]Court [tr] [td]? [td]Bizaare Side Streets [tr] [td]? [td]The University [tr] [td]? [td]Wilmot’s End [tr] [td]? [td]The Sisterhood’s Island Convent [tr] [td]? [td]Dr. Vaughan’s Hidden Encampment [tr] [td]? [td]Prickfinger Wastes [tr] [td]? [td]Bugsby’s Marsh [tr] [td]? [td]The Roof [tr] [td]? [td]Cave of the Nadir [tr] [td]? [td]Chapel of Lights [tr] [td]? [td]Corpescage Island [tr] [td]? [td]Bullbone Island [tr] [td]? [td]Mutton Island [tr] [td]? [td]The Court of the Wakeful Eye [tr] [td]? [td]&quotNothing is certain. Nothing is impossible.&quot [tr] [td]? [td]North [tr] [td]? [td]Stop briefly on Corpescage Island to find the Prince’s Prison [tr] [td]? [td]Polythreme [tr] [td]? [td]Grunting Fen [/table]

Thanks for making this! I was not at all a fan of the app compared to the mobile browser version (a minority opinion, apparently), but music has always improved my game experience.

The Fallen London wiki has the music for some of the missing areas listed if you look at the area page.

It doesn’t for the Avid Horizon, but I think silence is the best policy there.

Edit: Added thanks at the beginning to make sure my comment isn’t accidentally interpreted as overly aggressive, and added link to soundtrack.
edited by Azothi on 7/14/2018

WAS there even any music at the Avid Horizon and/or on the other side of the Gate? Without spoilers, can this be answered with a yes/no?

the Court, the University, Bizaare Side Streets, Cave of the Nadir, and Wilmots End are all unlockable in parts of london so I suspect those belong to their respective places

Dr. Vaughan’s Hidden Encampment and The Roof are part of the light fingers ambition (you can also access the roof in the most recent exceptional story, Written in the Glim, but the app was retired before it came out)

Corpsecage, Bullbone, and Mutton Island, Polythreme, and Grunting Fen are all reachable by ship, if you know the way

Likely all the other’s that aren’t from ambitions (or Ambition) are from exceptional stories (i recognize a few of the place names from those)

Thanks for contributing this far, everyone. And Azothi, no misinterpretation in my part.

=)

I had neglected to add The Mirror Marches, Doubt Street, and The Mind of a Long Dead God.

House of Chimes should be removed as that’s fate locked, right? Also why I had not included Sinning Jenny’s Finishing School or Flute Street.

But I think all the other locations are accessible without fate.

J-

[quote=Azothi]Thanks for making this! I was not at all a fan of the app compared to the mobile browser version (a minority opinion, apparently), but music has always improved my game experience.

The Fallen London wiki has the music for some of the missing areas listed if you look at the area page.

It doesn’t for the Avid Horizon, but I think silence is the best policy there.

Edit: Added thanks at the beginning to make sure my comment isn’t accidentally interpreted as overly aggressive, and added link to soundtrack.
edited by Azothi on 7/14/2018[/quote]
I think that is the majority view, actually. The mobile app was far too slow when it came to navigation, and it is quite easy to navigate even the current version of the website in Safari by zooming in and out as needed.[li]

Ah, the app. The beautiful UI and double actions and the pleasant music. I miss it sometimes, and I hope the new website will be finished soon.

I played on Android, and I went and looked into the files to save the music, even if it noticeably had fewer tracks than the iOS version. Here are the filenames and the respective titles in the OST. Sometimes the arrangements are different, but we will get to that in a bit.

[ul][li]aDarkPlace.mp3 (Labyrinth of Tigers)[/li][li]caveOfNadir.mp3 (Irrigo Below)[/li][li]chambersOfHeart.mp3 (Carnival at Midnight)
[/li][li]depthsOfNewgate.mp3[/li][li]houseofChimes.mp3 (House of Chimes)[/li][li]huntersKeep.mp3 (Hunter’s Keep)[/li][li]labyrinthOfTigers.mp3 (Labyrinth of Tigers)
[/li][li]ladybones.mp3 (An Embassy Waltz)[/li][li]mrsPlentysCarnival.mp3 (Mrs Plenty’s Carnival)[/li][li]muttonIsland.mp3 (About Your Business)[/li][li]newgatePrison.mp3[/li][li]prisonlyAmbience.mp3 (Why We Wear Faces)[/li][li]seaOfVoices.mp3 (Peligin and Pearl)[/li][li]strictlyNewNewgate.mp3
[/li][li]spite (Crowds of Spite)[/li][li]tombColonies.mp3 (Where We Went)[/li][li]veilGardenLastCall.mp3 (Veilgarden Last Call)[/li][li]watchmakerBusy.mp3 (The Department of Menace Eradication)[/li][/ul]I also found an unplayable file named drudgewick.mp3 in the same folder. I don’t know what it could’ve been, but considering Drudgewick is a place only mentioned in a passing here and there and not an actual location we can visit, maybe someone just had a strange sense of humor.

Interestingly, the app had two arrangements of Labyrinth of Tigers; labyrinthOfTigers.mp3 is closer to the OST version and was used in the location it was named after, while aDarkPlace.mp3 is a quieter arrangement with less instruments used in the Forgotten Quarter. There are also three files with &quotNewgate&quot in its name; fittingly they’re all the New Newgate track, but frankly I can barely tell them apart. None of them is St Arthur’s Candle, that’s for sure.

I have never used the iOS version of the app, but you can listen to recording of the music from it in this YouTube playlist. Like the two versions of Labyrinth of Tigers in the Android version, you can hear the iOS version had even more variations, even if most of them can be summed up as &quota quieter arrangement of the OST version.&quot There’s also the outlier case of Watchmaker’s Hill using the lodgings theme.

Now with all of these information in mind, I used the wikia to fill in the blank and composed this list:

[ul][li]New Newgate: Title screen, your lodgings (iOS version), New Newgate Prison[/li][li]An Embassy Waltz: Ladybones Road, the University[/li][li]Labyrinth of Tigers: Labyrinth of Tigers, the Forgotten Quarter.[/li][li]House of Chimes: House of Chimes, the Shuttered Palace (Android version), the Empress’ Court (Android version)
[/li][li]Peligin and Pearl: The Sea of Voices, Polythreme[/li][li]Mrs Plenty’s Carnival: Mrs Plenty’s Carnival[/li][li]Crowds of Spite: Spite, Bazar Side-streets, a slow boat passing a dark beach on a silent river.[/li][li]About your Business: Mutton Island[/li][li]Where We Went: Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies (Android version)[/li][li]Carnival at Midnight: Veilgarden, Mahogany Hall, possibly the Chambers of Heart? (My ambition isn’t Nemesis so I wasn’t able to confirm this firsthand.)[/li][li]Veilgarden Last Call: A state of some confusion[/li][li]Empress at the Window: The Shuttered Palace, the Empress’ Court[/li][li]Hunter’s Keep: Hunter’s Keep, Wilmot’s End[/li][li]Before the Mirror: The Flit[/li][li]Matters of State: Foreign Office, Port Carnelian[/li][li]The Appointed Place: ???[/li][li]A Sundered Sea: ???[/li][li]Irrigo Below: The Cave of the Nadir, the Mirror-marches[/li][li]Something of a Fluke: ???[/li][li]The Department of Menace Eradication: Watchmaker’s Hill, Iron Republic
[/li][li]St Arthur’s Candle: Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies (iOS version) (yeah, this doesn’t make sense to me either)[/li][li]Why We Wear Faces: ???[/li][li]New Newgate Reprise: Your lodgings (iOS version), Watchmaker’s Hill (iOS version)
[/li][/ul]For simplicity sake, the quieter arrangements count as the same song as the ones closer to the OST version. I think it’s fine to include House of Chimes here because it’s obvious which location it’s associated with, and with how the music and changing location with the map worked in the app, you actually could hear the theme even if you don’t enter the location itself.

It’s possible that SMEN-only locations such as the Chapel of Lights used St Arthur’s Candle in the iOS version. That track pretty much screams the Seeking Road to me (it’s a dark reprise of the lodgings theme, titled after an item from a story which main storylet is located in your lodgings), but we may never know for sure.

That leaves us with The Appointed Place, A Sundered Sea, Something of a Fluke, and Why We Wear Faces. I couldn’t find any mention of them in the wikia, so it’s possible that they’re tracks used in Fate-locked locations or something exotic like Ambition or Destiny locations. That said, information about the music on the wikia seems incomplete too…
edited by silurica on 7/23/2018

silurica - thanks so much for our contribution! That was a lot of effort on your part and a lot of great info.

=)

Music associations as the app used them, although a while ago (around august 2016):[li]

[
{
“Name” : “Bazaar Spires”,
“AreaId” : “8”,
“TrackName” : “seaOfVoices”
},
{
“Name” : “Flute Street”,
“AreaId” : “35”,
},
{
“Name” : “Grunting Fen”,
“AreaId” : “50”,
},
{
“Name” : “Sea of Voices”,
“AreaId” : “51”,
},
{
“Name” : “Polythreme Streets”,
“AreaId” : “53”,
},
{
“Name” : “Shadows of the Orphanage”,
“AreaId” : “29”,
“TrackName” : “tombColonies”
},
{
“Name” : “Silent Corridors of the Orphanage”,
“AreaId” : “43”,
},
{
“Name” : “Liberation of Night”,
“AreaId” : “101193”,
},
{
“Name” : “Down among the Lorn-Flukes”,
“AreaId” : “101195”,
},
{
“Name” : “A small, velvet lined box”,
“AreaId” : “44”,
},
{
“Name” : “Veilgarden”,
“AreaId” : “6”,
“TrackName” : “chambersOfHeart”
},
{
“Name” : “The Chambers of the Heart”,
“AreaId” : “24”,
},
{
“Name” : “Mahogany Hall”,
“AreaId” : “30”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Convent”,
“AreaId” : “65”,
“TrackName” : “newgatePrison”
},
{
“Name” : “Deep in Bugsbys Marshes”,
“AreaId” : “104935”,
},
{
“Name” : “Watchermakers hill”,
“AreaId” : “5”,
},
{
“Name” : “Disgraced Exile in the Tomb-Colonies”,
“AreaId” : “17”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Tomb Colony of Venderbight”,
“AreaId” : “25”,
},
{
“Name” : “Mutton Island”,
“AreaId” : “38”,
“TrackName” : “muttonIsland”
},
{
“Name” : “The Shuttered Palace”,
“AreaId” : “10”,
“TrackName” : “houseOfChimes”
},
{
“Name” : “The Empress Court”,
“AreaId” : “26”,
},
{
“Name” : “The House of Chimes”,
“AreaId” : “34”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Foreign Office”,
“AreaId” : “45”,
},
{
“Name” : “Heartscross House”,
“AreaId” : “105438”,
},
{
“Name” : “A State of Some Confusion”,
“AreaId” : “13”,
“TrackName” : “veilGardenLastCall”
},
{
“Name” : “Iron Republic Streets”,
“AreaId” : “58”,
“TrackName” : “watchmakerBusy”
},
{
“Name” : “Ladybones Road”,
“AreaId” : “4”,
“TrackName” : “ladybones”
},
{
“Name” : “The University”,
“AreaId” : “23”,
},
{
“Name” : “Doubt Street”,
“AreaId” : “47”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Temple Club”,
“AreaId” : “807”,
},
{
“Name” : “After the Case”,
“AreaId” : “3363”,
},
{
“Name” : “New Newgate Prison”,
“AreaId” : “1”,
“TrackName” : “strictlyNewNewgate”
},
{
“Name” : “VERY LITTLE SCREAMING”,
“AreaId” : “20”,
“TrackName” : “strictlyNewNewgate”
},
{
“Name” : “The Forgotten Quarter”,
“AreaId” : “9”,
“TrackName” : “aDarkPlace”
},
{
“Name” : “Hunters Keep”,
“AreaId” : “37”,
“TrackName” : “huntersKeep”
},
{
“Name” : “Wilmots End”,
“AreaId” : “42”,
},
{
“Name” : “A Secluded Coastline”,
“AreaId” : “64”,
},
{
“Name” : “A mansion in the Marshes”,
“AreaId” : “105190”,
},
{
“Name” : “A slow boat passing a dark beach on a silent river”,
“AreaId” : “14”,
“TrackName” : “drudgewick”
},
{
“Name” : “The Abyssal Depths”,
“AreaId” : “21”,
“TrackName” : “prisonlyAmbience”
},
{
“Name” : “Drudgewick”,
“AreaId” : “39”,
},
{
“Name” : “Bullbone Island”,
“AreaId” : “48”,
},
{
“Name” : “Corpsecage Island”,
“AreaId” : “49”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Gamekeeper’s Cottage”,
“AreaId” : “5821”,
},
{
“Name” : “Beneath the Palace”,
“AreaId” : “104293”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Mirror-Marches”,
“AreaId” : “22”,
“TrackName” : “caveOfNadir”
},
{
“Name” : “Cave of the Nadir”,
“AreaId” : “6709”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Castle of Forests”,
“AreaId” : “101194”,
},
{
“Name” : “The Approach to the Mountain”,
“AreaId” : “101196”,
},
{
“Name” : “Winking Isle”,
“AreaId” : “101404”,
},
{
“Name” : “Spite”,
“AreaId” : “7”,
“TrackName” : “spite”
},
{
“Name” : “Bazaar Sidestreets”,
“AreaId” : “31”,
},
{
“Name” : “Crowds of Spite”,
“AreaId” : “4138”,
},
{
“Name” : “Mrs Plentys Carnival”,
“AreaId” : “18”,
“TrackName” : “mrsPlentysCarnival”
},
{
“Name” : “The Depths of New Newgate Prison”,
“AreaId” : “27”,
“TrackName” : “depthsOfNewgate”
},
{
“Name” : “Roads Beneath”,
“AreaId” : “33”,
},
{
“Name” : “A Dark Place”,
“AreaId” : “15”,
},
{
“Name” : “New Newgate Prison Again”,
“AreaId” : “16”,
},
{
“Name” : “Labyrinth Of Tigers”,
“AreaId” : “28”,
“TrackName” : “labyrinthOfTigers”
}
]

xnyhps - you are awesome.

=)

Thanks so much.

What’s the source on that list?

I made a copy of the files which the app downloaded, just in case, and this file was among them. I hadn’t looked at the contents before I saw this topic and I tried to figure out how the app linked the area to a music file.