Mt Nomad's Heart

Frigate has a forward slot as well, though if you’re big into trading and such it does hold less cargo (70 to the cruiser’s 120 or the dreadnought’s… 100?).
edited by Fretling on 1/17/2015

Yep, 100. I’ve been trying to keep my Sunless Sea Ship Stat & Slot Spreadsheet up to date, if you ever need it to refer to.

I’ve played around with all the ships except for the yacht, and imo the Frigate of all worlds. With 70 cargo now you can really do a lot before having to refuel, and it also has all the slots. I’d love it if the dreadnought had more than one forward/deck slot though, it’s just too weak now to justify buying it.

At the moment with the cruiser my hold is often pretty full, but then I do have 40-50 mirrorcatch boxes. Maybe I’ll do sunlight runs until they run out and then get a frigate once I don’t need quite so much space for them…

Frederick - the spreadsheet says the cruiser has 130 hold? I’m pretty sure it’s 120 unless they changed it very recently, but I’ll check next time I log in.

I’ve always considered that the dreadnought should have more weapon slots and less cargo slots, most dreads are taken up entirely with armour and weapons, not cargo.

Progagly a typo - I mafe a lot of thoce.

It already has all the weapon slots there are, plus the thickest armour. It’s a big hold, sure, but it has to have somewhere to carry fuel and provisions for an iron beast swarming with hard-working hard-fighting zailors.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]
It already has all the weapon slots there are, plus the thickest armour. It’s a big hold, sure, but it has to have somewhere to carry fuel and provisions for an iron beast swarming with hard-working hard-fighting zailors.[/quote]

I agree, but I think that in particular, that would be something that precluded it from carrying anything other than those two precious commodities, coal for a dread would have to go in at such a rate that you’d need a scuttle of sorts with a regular hatch opening to shovel in the right amount rather than having four sailors trying to get to the same small hatch, and that suggests a large area of the ship that would only ever be used for fuel, and likewise supplies.

That said, the only cargo that really suggests bulk are the two essentials, then things like Sphinxstone, there’s no other cargo’s that suggest you’re carrying in tons rather than in small crates, and that too, is something that may need redressing at some point. I appreciate that it’s convenient, but how does twenty loads of sphinxstone equate to twenty casks of wine or firkins of honey when it comes to the bulk taken up.

I don’t have a problem with the cargo system as it stands, I just think that fighting ships should be listed as such, all crew, armour, and guns, and maybe when privateering is mastered on the system (see separate post), it will be?