Mr Eaten: Afterparty

[quote=NiteBrite]I want to publicly apologize for my involvement in this whole affair. I want it to be known, that I was and am satisfied with my experience on winking island. It was distressing, and full of unique sufferings that I had not expected or anticipated and it did cause me a brief episode of panic. But that’s the beauty of eaten content, it affects you just so. The bug was unfortunate, but ultimately did not impact my overall experience negatively.
edited by NiteBrite on 12/10/2013[/quote]
I commend you on your remarkably optimistic/masochistic attitude.

frankly the whole drama makes the SMEN storyline more compelling. i just wish it didn’t affect alexis either personally or financially.

Agreed - while I don’t Seek, and I’m not exactly going to -enjoy- Seekers having a hard time of it, it’s certainly atmospheric (and entirely within the stated bounds of the story, mechanically and narratively.) But, SMEN has been something Alexis and the players have clearly massively enjoyed, and it sorrows me to see either distressed by it!

[color=#009900]I’ve withdrawn the entire storyline for now, pending review. I’ve annotated the Mr Eaten quality accordingly. If you see any Eaten content still playable in the wild, please let me know so I can freeze it.[li][/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This doesn’t yet mean it’s all over - we hope to bring it back soon in a modified form - but we can’t afford the time and risk involved in managing potential complaints when it was designed and created as unsupported content.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Thanks, as ever, for your enthusiasm.[/color]

Thank you for all your efforts. Hope you will find a suitable solution. :)

I am sorrow.
Well, obviously I am joy that it’s not gone for good (I’m taking your ‘hope’ as certainty) - but I liked the risk of being in an experimental sometimes bugged sometimes buggering part of the game.

In a masochistic way, it felt special to be going against the game and taking on in game and out of game risks.

I want to be special, dammit. :-(

I got the “number of candles” card this morning, the one that says folly and purportedly advances you to SMEN 8. It appeared playable (even though I was already at 8).

I had it too, at the time of Alexis’s last post, but it was no longer playable. Clicking on it just returned you to the story screen.

[quote=babelfishwars]I am sorrow.
Well, obviously I am joy that it’s not gone for good (I’m taking your ‘hope’ as certainty) - but I liked the risk of being in an experimental sometimes bugged sometimes buggering part of the game.

In a masochistic way, it felt special to be going against the game and taking on in game and out of game risks.

I want to be special, dammit. :-([/quote]

You’re still special. Everyone who’s gotten this far will be able to claim to have done all this back when it wasn’t supported. We can be like the stereotypical elderly person! XD

Edit: Seriously though, I hear ya. That’s part of why I participated in the content. We may never know what tricks Alexis had in store for us, and that is a shame. However, the content is excellent and I look forward to seeing it come back when it’s ready. ^^
edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/10/2013

[quote=Sara Hysaro][quote=babelfishwars]I am sorrow.

I want to be special, dammit. :-([/quote]

You’re still special. Everyone who’s gotten this far will be able to claim to have done all this back when it wasn’t supported. We can be like the stereotypical elderly person! XD

Edit: Seriously though, I hear ya. That’s part of why I participated in the content. We may never know what tricks Alexis had in store for us, and that is a shame. However, the content is excellent and I look forward to seeing it come back when it’s ready. ^^
edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/10/2013[/quote]

I hope I get a stick I can trip youngans with. I DEMAND I get such a stick.

Edit: Also, I want to hug NiteBrite. And Alexis. But NiteBrite. HUGS.
edited by babelfishwars on 12/10/2013

I tried and failed to sabotage Peppercorn this morning, right around the time Alexis posted. So maybe the storylet is still there or maybe I got my attempt in right before the freeze, but I don’t have enough actions left to grind Tales of Mahogany Hall back up to check.

Re: Number of Candles card:

Thanks. It wasn’t locked from clicking on at all the way another Seeking card that an alt had was, and none of the options were greyed out, so I didn’t want to risk more stats loss and find out.

Alexis, FWIW re: Dolan’s request, I would have understood your offer to be a refund of any Fate or Nex expended on Winking Isle, no matter the source.

NiteBrite, I really don’t think you need to apologize . . .

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]
[color=#009900]This doesn’t yet mean it’s all over - we hope to bring it back soon in a modified form - but we can’t afford the time and risk involved in managing potential complaints when it was designed and created as unsupported content.[/color][/quote]

Yay!

Now if only the Fidgeting Writer would $%^&*( cooperate with me . . .

Well er there is this. please don’t take it away from me. also Sackville is right about the saturday show option still being there

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]we hope to bring it back soon in a modified form [/color]
[color=#009900][li]
[/quote]
[/li][/color]something something accounting postponing i think you get the idea
Really though I’m probably going to end up being eaten by curiosity now because I won’t know if I was right about the amount of Proscribed Materials for God’s Editors. Fair warning though; If you end up defanging SMEN I may end up doing something absurd, like playing Dark Souls with one hand while juggling hot coals with the other and operating FL using only eye movements, just to maintain the difficulty.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 12/10/2013

Alexis, I would have also interpreted your original post the same way Dolan did. Maybe it’s an artifact of how long I’ve been around, but I’ve never made a ‘Fate is free but Nex is real’ distinction: the vast majority of the Fate I’ve ever had was paid for (by me or by a friend as a gift), and I’ve, for example, bought Fate/Nex to gift a Box of 100 Wonders as a birthday present in the past.

So I’d hope you’re not upset on that score. Reading Dolan’s original request I thought it must have been hard for him to go out on a limb. I certainly don’t think there was any intention to take advantage.

[quote=an_ocelot]Re: Number of Candles card:

Thanks. It wasn’t locked from clicking on at all the way another Seeking card that an alt had was, and none of the options were greyed out, so I didn’t want to risk more stats loss and find out.[/quote]

Clarification : Clicking on the card itself returned me to the story, so it was locked from clicking on at all.

… … You bring me happy.

Okay, must’ve just gotten it at the wrong/right time! (I’d seen content actually locked with Impossible! the day before, so I thought the process was already done.)

This seems a good decision for now, kudos to Alexis for listening to player concerns and taking this so seriously. I really hope a solution that works for everyone can be found :heart:

I hope very much to see the Mr Eaten story continue in the future, it’s such an intriguing thread that I’ve enjoyed unraveling (and watching my character unravel at the same time has been fun, too :p)