Mr Chimes:what are we buying, and why?

Everybody gets their 30 scrip, and some of us pay for more. So do tell! What have we bought and why? I am curious about the priorities that more advanced people have.

So, me:
Alt Miranda bought the shoes because a) good dangerous boost b) shiny shiny roleplay. She is such a girly girl. Pretty and lethal.
Main Alethea bought the peacoat, because going to Zee is in her near future as a monster hunter. Also spent fate to get the horseless carriage because a) great stats and b) roleplay. She is a scientist and explorer and modernist, and she desperately wants a Zub. And the Indignant bearskin, because good persuasive hat. Spent 90 scrip, so 60 fate.

BDR bonuses were definitely nice to have. The Zeefaring was a priority. The other advanced skills, I had no clue so I set no priority there. I assume they will be useful at some point.,

I’m not a super-big spender, but I’m enjoying this game enormously, and I don’t have a lot of other indulgences in my life. I have a chronic illness and rarely go out. My main indulgence is fancy knitting yarn. Nice food, too, but there’s a limit to much cake and fancy cheese one can sensibly eat.

I got the Highly-Accurate Gargoyle, because Fossilized Forelimbs are hard, and I want that sweet sweet double-antiquity

Strangling Willow ring + Peacoat for 10 Fate.
Mostly because I wanted two items to give advanced stats. Mithridacy is useful both in the Bone Market and in Moulin and Zeefaring will get more uses in the future. Very satisfied with the items flavour too, though.

My shopping list was long and costly this time. 210 fate + 30 free. 5 items from this festival + 3 mayoral items + 2 free digging items = +10 MAGCATS overall.
I am not a roleplay person, my character is just unstoppable, rich Mary Sue.
edited by Waterpls on 7/22/2021

I got a cloud-filled sphere. Cheap and easy way to get tons of Watchful, especially if one is uninterested in grinding for the Midnighter/Heart’s Desire Watchful home comforts. A nice way to raise Shapeling Arts (which my character is obsessed with) too.

Also it looks pretty.

On the topic of ex-election items: most were available without Fate at one point and so the wiki is usefully exhaustive about their uses. However it looks as though some items were always Fate-locked and since the wiki omits details of unlocked Cards, Storylets, etc. can anyone tell me about the mechanical benefits (or interesting story/lore) unlocked by these items:

• A Mutton Island Account[/li][li]A Traitor’s Carriage[/li][li]A Gazebo![/li][li]A Seven-Times-Exiled Parliamentarian’s Guide to Electioneering[/li][li]Voting Booth of One’s Own

eg. A Gazebo! unlocks the Set up your own Bear Show - Fallen London Wiki card but that’s probably an oversight and shouldn’t be on the wiki…

I got the peacoat and the shoes with some extra fate. I figured the new items are more likely to get new special uses in upcoming content, whereas the older ones may not have special uses beyond the existing endgame content I’ve already completed, and using special options because you happen to have the right equipment feels delightfully satisfying! Similarly, for the peacoat, I imagine Zeefaring will have a lot more use in the future, and for the shoes, I was short on Monstrous Anatomy, though there were a number of stat items I could have really used among the older items too.
edited by enail on 7/22/2021

[quote=Dagforth]On the topic of ex-election items: most were available without Fate at one point and so the wiki is usefully exhaustive about their uses. However it looks as though some items were always Fate-locked and since the wiki omits details of unlocked Cards, Storylets, etc. can anyone tell me about the mechanical benefits (or interesting story/lore) unlocked by these items:

• A Mutton Island Account[/li][li]A Traitor’s Carriage[/li][li]A Gazebo![/li][li]A Seven-Times-Exiled Parliamentarian’s Guide to Electioneering[/li][li]Voting Booth of One’s Own

eg. A Gazebo! unlocks the Set up your own Bear Show - Fallen London Wiki card but that’s probably an oversight and shouldn’t be on the wiki…[/quote]

This card was recently added to the wiki.
If you had a free gift for this festival, you got 60 scrip instead of 30, which means all rewards are now technically F2P. This was also confirmed by Bruno in Discord.

Woohoo! Unfortunately the full details are still not on the wiki, so my request stands. ;-)

Woohoo! Unfortunately the full details are still not on the wiki, so my request stands. ;-)[/quote] I think you can find the individual items on their own pages. I looked into a gazebo, as I have few home comforts and it’s persuasive and respectable.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/A_Gazebo!

Very tempting to me, but I have done my budget. I might buy more fate for fruits of the zee, but no more now. What was the free gift, though? Only for long term players, perhaps?

At the last election, everyone got one &quotfree&quot item. It was mechanically represented by you getting a &quotFree Gift&quot quality, which you could then trade in for an item. Similar to how in this festival, everyone got 30 chthonic scrip for free to get one item.

Of course, people who didn’t spend that gift last year and kept it until this year were allowed to redeem it for 30 scrip instead.

Basically, if someone skipped getting a gift at the last election, they were instead able to double up at this festival.

I grabbed the peacoat, as I have zero resistant to the charms of chattering Polythremean individuals. Well, wearable individuals. A talking lodging at Grunting Fen would be even better.

Peacoat. It’s blue.