A thread to commemorate spectacular plays by our fellow Moon League players.
I was playing my third match against a particular opponent, starting in the Baroque form of the Imponderable Egg. I was defending.
- Seeking to open with a dose of mystery, I employed the clever gambit of the Devil’s Gyre, boosting my Baroque and Elusive at the same time.
- My opponent responded by raising their Baroque.
- I responded in kind by raising my Baroque.
- My opponent chose to Gambit, and left me a taunting message informing me that as we are both raising Baroque, we shall end evenly matched.
- I took the challenge personally and switched forms using a Sense of Urgency, adopting the Elusive form of the Spiralled Shadow
- I then chose to raise my Elusive, responding with a taunt of my own that "consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds".
- I immediately went for an Ambush, only to discover that the Gambit had been none other than a Flight to the Flit. My Elusive advantage was ruined!
- Realizing I was now outmatched in Baroque and unable to attack in Elusive, my only remaining options were to wait to be slaughtered by my opponent’s attack or press for a direct confrontation.
- I chose to Savagely attack my opponent.
I did manage to score a victory, but upon checking my messages I discovered that they had been playing the Fatal-clawed Bat and outclassed me by 30 points in Savage. I won only thanks to RNG’s blessing in those final moments. An amazing ploy of bait and taunt that should have defeated me handily.
I would also like to point out for players looking for strategic plans - had my opponent used Villein’s Friends instead of Flight to the Flit as their gambit, I would have walked directly into the trap without a second thought.
edited by Zee! on 5/12/2013