Missing Profession in Viric?

Hence “feel” rather than “be.”

And since they’ve claimed their current goal is to fill out/refine London itself? That means plenty of opportunities for Chthonosophy to come up. Especially since the new lore regarding London and the Neath at large’s sapience has finally solidified.

2 Likes

You know what? You make a good point there. I can certainly see Cthonosophy factoring into the new more grounded London content in some manner, which I bet will probably be more early-midgame oriented, around the time you get those T3 Professions.

2 Likes

Though there was a Companion we were able to obtain during this year’s Exceptional Feast (I know because I got one; he was one of the non-Fate characters). It was the Diptych Painter, and having him in your Companion slot gives +1 Chthonsophy.

1 Like

oh, your right! somehow i didnt notice that-just went “the hell is chthonsophy? ah probobly a railway/late game thing, no need to worry about that” and just never thought about it again.-and hey, i was right!

1 Like

I do agree with John_Schmit and anidiot: I don’t think the Viric profession is nonexistent by error. Failbetter has probably already realized this, and so decided to drop Viric, even if it would fit the perfect number of seven (a shame, what a shame). The concept of its use is, unfortunately, not quite as fitting compared to the others to be included in the professions anyhow; at least for what I know it isn’t applied much in-game except for Oneiropomp, or Phantasies in Feast of the Rose, and even that has issues, mostly being overshadowed by Cosmogone. Perhaps it’s more of a general-purpose Neath color than the far more esoteric ones.

Mechanically, each of the Profession lines match a pair of primary stats. That’s why there’s six of them. Combinatorics or whatever. That structural aspect of Professions is very old. Older than the Skill attributes the T3 professions are now each associated with. Older, in fact, than the T3 professions themselves and their Neathbow associations.

I don’t know why Viric, specifically, was chosen to be left out. My guess is that it overlaps with Cosmogone, since they’re both Parabolan colors. If you were to try and make a Profession based heavily around Viric I think the result would have a hard time being separated from the Silverer.

6 Likes

Many people ask why there is no profession associated with Viric. There was, once. Or rather, there was a professional associated with Viric. Ignorance of this fact is easily forgiven, since the kinds of people who ask this question are not the kinds of people likely to move in circles that would expose them to the individual in question. And even if they did, the person I have in mind didn’t have their job for very long. I only know about it because I enjoy finding obscure stories with which to needle a certain obstreperous bishop. The plain fact is that the Viric Cleric’s soporific homilies even put himself to sleep!

3 Likes