Mirror color

Do only silver-colored reflective objects function as Parabolan portal mirrors? If not, does anyone know what happens if one attempts to enter a nonsilver mirror?

I know that Sunless Sea’s Neither seems capable of teleporting things to the Viric Jungle despite being dark and nonreflective, but it seems to be an anomalous exception, so let’s not mention it.

AFAIK, any good reflective surface of suffiient size will do. Not sure if it must be solid.

If I recall correctly, in Varchas we learned that breaking a mirror just creates many smaller, but still functional, mirrors.

If I recall correctly, in Varchas we learned that breaking a mirror just creates many smaller, but still functional, mirrors.[/quote]

But those would still be solid themselves.
Does the surface have to be in solid state (as opposed to liquid/gaseous/plasma)? I suspect that you can pass through non-solid mirrors, but it’s way more difficult (because it’s too easy to just disrupt the surface instead with your solid mass).
Does the surface have to be solidly unblemished? I think in some ambition(s) we have learned that putting even a single crack anywhere on a mirror makes it unpassable. (otherwise knifegate wouldn’t be necessary)

I have a vague memory of reading about a room, or a whole house, where every mirror had a single scratch. I don’t recall which story it was

In The Fair Unknown (very mild spoilers, so presumably this is not against forum rules), [spoiler]a mirror portal is made with bathwater and reflective oil. The oil seemed unable to function as a portal until it had the reflection of a solid mirror in it, though.

The Red-Handed Queen also owns a &quotmirror made of ruby&quot, although I suspect it could be merely a silver mirror with ruby edges and thus not actually a red mirror.[/spoiler]

edited by C on 4/21/2021
edited by C on 6/12/2021