Merchant Crusier at last but which engine?

On to my third captain and I finally decided to upgrade my ship, and in the process sell some heirlooms to finance it - sorry son, as although I’ve explored most of the map I was finding it increasing difficult to make that much money and do quests at the same time; there’s only so much cargo you can carry once you’ve loaded up with fuel and supplies after all.

Just a few runs of a very worthwhile, but short-lived, trade route (not one involving sun light but it does involve a lot of clicking) has meant that I’m already at close to 10,000 echoes. The plan now is to go back to exploring but also indulge in a bit of trading at the same which hopefully means I can start generating more echoes per-trip.

One thing I wasn’t shore about was which engine to go for. I’m still on the starter engine and it’s not as painfully slow as I thought but I’m not entirely sure just how much difference, say a +2000 engine will make, considering it burns fuel at twice the rate?

once you have a merchant ship the choice of engines doesn’t matter as much, since you can basically stock up on all your fuel and supplies where they’re cheapest and last the entire voyage, plus you SHOULD have enough places explored by now to afford that from port reports and various SAY stuff.

I used I think the 2000 engine power one, or the Serpentine or Impeller if i had those.
edited by WormApotheote on 3/21/2015

Thanks - for the moment I think I’m going to stick with the starter engine and see how it stacks up with increased supply and terror.

[li]The Serpentine might be your best shot – get it now, before you start going after monsters – complete the quest, and then you should have a strong enough engine to worry about other upgrades.

WE ARE CLAY and Maybe’s Daughter might also help while you’re thinking about the next choice. Should give you an extra 500 or engine power between them if memory serves. Clay also reduces crew requirements, which is nice.

I think your biggest risk with the starter engine in the merchant cruiser is boredom, really xD

Thanks for the input and I’ve now gone for We Are Clay and the Avid Suppressor until I can generate enough case to upgrade to the Frigate included the engine and weapons.

Isn’t the Serpentine purely a matter of luck though? I remember doing it and getting the &quotwrong&quot Magician, and I didn’t see a way to send him back and try for one who could create the Serpentine.

Isn’t the Serpentine purely a matter of luck though? I remember doing it and getting the &quotwrong&quot Magician, and I didn’t see a way to send him back and try for one who could create the Serpentine.[/quote]

It depends on whether you talk him out of going through with it or not. If you allow the Magician to do what he has to, the price is steep – but you DO get the Serpentine out of it.

[li]

Actually, there is a chance that the Magician will come back &quotchanged&quot, and you won’t be able to get the Serpentine. (As compensation, of a sort, the Urbane Magician is the best engineer in the game, stat-wise.) Incidentally, this means that there are four possible Magician variants, the most of any officer, plus the Serpentine as a potential reward item, plus a chance to lose him completely - making his quest one of the most varied officer stories in the game!
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 3/25/2015

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Actually, there is a chance that the Magician will come back &quotchanged&quot, and you won’t be able to get the Serpentine. (As compensation, of a sort, the Urbane Magician is the best engineer in the game, stat-wise.) Incidentally, this means that there are four possible Magician variants, the most of any officer, plus the Serpentine as a potential reward item, plus a chance to lose him completely - making his quest one of the most varied officer stories in the game!
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 3/25/2015[/quote]

No, i’m pretty sure there’s only one.

Rapidly rerolls his urbane magician

should we mention the impeller?

I avoid the engine that you cannot sell for money. . .