Meet the repentant forger in prison or not?

I’ve never been to prison, and enjoy having a spotless criminal record. However I would like to befriend a certain forger. One of the fate locked options early in secrets framed in gold lets you pay fate to have always known the forger. Does this also unlock him on all the normal acquaintance cards? Or does it merely let you play through secrets framed in gold without going to prison first?

Also, other than the forger is it worthwhile to go to prison for any reason?
edited by Harlocke on 6/8/2016

When you pay the extra Fate at the beginning of USFiG, it’s like you’ve met the Forger in prison - you’ll be able to build this acquaintance like the one with the Singer, Soldier and Functionary.

Of course, you’ll lose him if you play USFiG through to the bitter end…

edited by phryne on 6/8/2016

[quote=Harlocke]I’ve never been to prison, and enjoy having a spotless criminal record. However I would like to befriend a certain forger. One of the fate locked options early in secrets framed in gold lets you pay fate to have always known the forger. Does this also unlock him on all the normal acquaintance cards? Or does it merely let you play through secrets framed in gold without going to prison first?

edited by Harlocke on 6/8/2016[/quote]
If you want to meet the Forger (or just see what prison is like) I recommend robbing the Brass Embassy until you fail. If your Suspicion is low enough then you are sent to the menace zone immediately, without gaining Criminal Record!

Personally I rather like the Forger; he’s not really &quotgood people,&quot but he’s &quotOK people&quot and that’s enough for me.
edited by MrBurnside on 6/8/2016

[quote=MrBurnside][quote=Harlocke]I’ve never been to prison, and enjoy having a spotless criminal record. However I would like to befriend a certain forger. One of the fate locked options early in secrets framed in gold lets you pay fate to have always known the forger. Does this also unlock him on all the normal acquaintance cards? Or does it merely let you play through secrets framed in gold without going to prison first?

edited by Harlocke on 6/8/2016[/quote]
If you want to meet the Forger (or just see what prison is like) I recommend robbing the Brass Embassy until you fail. If your Suspicion is low enough then you are sent to the menace zone immediately, without gaining Criminal Record!

Personally I rather like the Forger; he’s not really &quotgood people,&quot but he’s &quotOK people&quot and that’s enough for me.
edited by MrBurnside on 6/8/2016[/quote]I really wish I had known this before I went a self destructive spree down the city streets to get myself into Newgate. A pity there were no visiting hours either.

When I was at prison, it was so miserable that I forgot the Forger was there. I have more than enough supplies to survive now, but I don’t want a criminal record or loss of any Hell connections (at least until I have my Salon).

I also want to know if there’s any other good reason to go back to New Newgate. Please say there isn’t.

The only other reason is criminal favours, which are best gotten elsewhere, and the prison shiv item.

I’m pretty sure you can get Criminal favors @ one per action on the fastest way out, and it’s a storylet to boot- but it requires a skyglass knife, which is consumed per favor. Say it with me, NOT WORTH IT

[Though were it any of the rarer types of favors, i’d be singing a different tune, i started grinding criminal favors and tomb colonies at the same time. tomb colonies are at 14, criminals are at 25. that’s how absurdly common they are.]

And of course listening to horror stories about face stealing horrors.
So overall, prison is worth visiting once, at least.

You say that, but I call him one of the finest eggs in London. He’s a right chum, and always welcome at my table.

(I just realised that makes it sound like I intend to kill and eat him. Nothing could be further from the truth - I just think he’s a very nice man.)

Given the current affairs, I am fairly certain casual mentions of cannibalism are more than tolerated. No worries there!

You say that, but I call him one of the finest eggs in London. He’s a right chum, and always welcome at my table.[/quote]

What I love about him is that he tries his damnedest to be a better person. He’s done with the criminal lifestyle and a life of bending his morals to get what he wants. He’s just old, tired, and wants a friend to talk with occasionally. Yet he still gets pulled back into his old habits by old friends, commissioners, and even you should you be willing to push him enough. Oh well. You’ll always be good in my book, Mr. Forger, even if high society doesn’t always appreciate your art.

Prison is interesting for the lore, but also for the forger. At the time I wanted to meet him I didn’t know much about the criminal record, but I don’t regret my trip there.
Financially, he opens a nice option for the Rooftop Shack. It’s a win/win option; 3E or 1 CP Acquaintance: a Repentant Forger.

You’ve already been to prison. We all have, since this is where our characters start the game :-)

Also, with the coming return of Seeking the Name, if you pursue this story (nothing good will come of this) then it will require you to get arrested on purpose 7 times.

edited by dov on 6/8/2016

Before you go to prison, buy yourself a pirate hat of +1 Suspicion and put it on (you can’t buy it once in the cells).

This will allow you to stay in prison and draw cards there even when Suspicion has technically dropped to 0, ensuring an unlucky run of cards won’t get booted out before you’ve met the Forger. He is a very decent sort, but then my character is not exactly squeaky-clean himself.

I dearly hope my life provides me with an opportunity to use that sentence.

Prison shiv can be found with less trouble on Corpsecage, if you rummage around the fire.